Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2020 Volkswagen Passat

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2020 Volkswagen Passat

The 2020 Passat follows in the footsteps of its younger compact brother, the Jetta, which started a new generation for the 2019 model year. It has a sharper exterior design than the outgoing model and uses jagged lines and edges to give the otherwise sedate four-door a sportier look. A large widened grille and standard slim LED headlights give the Passat more presence and a lower stance, a theme that is continued in the rear with thin LED tail lamps and prominent badging. Seventeen-inch wheels are standard, with 18-inch and 19-inch available in other trims.

As mentioned earlier, the new Passat will be offered with the same turbocharged 2.0-liter direct-injection four-cylinder TSI engine as before. Horsepower stays the same at 174, but a new torque converter and updated software will give the car a bit more pep, boosting torque from 184 pound-feet to 207. A six-speed automatic transmission funnels power to the front wheels. According to previous discussions with VW, something similar to the Passat GT is possible in the future, but there's no confirmation.

At introduction, Volkswagen says there will be four regular trims, with a fifth Limited trim available only for the vehicle's launch. Depending on the trim, there are three interior designs available. The interior remains typically tight and simple German, but the dashboard, instrument cluster, and infotainment have been redesigned. Cloth, V-Tex (faux leather), and Nappa leather seats will be offered, with the choice of four color options. Notable options include available front and rear heated seats, dual-zone automatic climate control, rain-sensing windshield wipers, power-folding heated side mirrors, and adaptive cornering headlights.

The biggest change to the infotainment is a new glass-covered look. It still features several smartphone compatibilities, including Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and MirrorLink. A premium Fender audio system is also available. It comes standard with forward collision warning, blind-spot monitoring, front automatic emergency braking with pedestrian monitoring, and rear traffic alert. Adaptive cruise control, lane-keep assist, and parking steering assistant are optional.

Using the same platform from generation-to-generation is not usual -- Toyota, for instance, is just switching over to an all-new front-drive platform after nearly 20 years. This particular platform, Volkswagen's New Midsize Sedan, was developed specifically for the North American market to be bigger and meet a lower price point than the Passat that would be sold in Europe. Given the decline in sedan sales and the Passat's less-than-stellar sales performance over the years, it's not surprising that a new platform wasn't engineered.

The 2020 Passat launches later this year, with first deliveries expected in the summer.
Source
Old 01-16-19, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the design, except for the wheels/tires and the snout/grille-extension. Use smaller wheels, higher-profile tires, and a less-pronounced grille, and they'd have a real winner.
Old 01-16-19, 11:17 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Do you want to forget what your car looks like, every day? Then VW has the car for you.
Old 01-16-19, 01:39 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Do you want to forget what your car looks like, every day? Then VW has the car for you.
Well for better or worse, I won't forget those wheels.
Old 01-16-19, 01:50 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I like the design, except for the wheels/tires and the snout/grille-extension. Use smaller wheels, higher-profile tires, and a less-pronounced grille, and they'd have a real winner.
is this better MM?? circa 1980

Old 01-16-19, 02:23 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell

Lol. That does seem to check off all of the boxes plus it has a jaunty color.
Old 01-16-19, 02:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

1980 versions, at least for the American market, would have had more substantial bumpers. That's probably a Euro-model, without the bumper-regs.

And what does that have to do with the earlier posts? We're taking about a 2020 Passat, not one from 40 years earlier.

If you don't like my comments on the 2020, fine, but they still stand.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-16-19 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Lol. That does seem to check off all of the boxes plus it has a jaunty color.

The metallic red in the OP is not bad, either...it will tend not to put one to sleep.
Old 01-16-19, 02:44 PM
Hoovey689

Pay attention Marshall. The green car Bagwell posted for you checked all the boxes you asked for (highligted in bold for you).

You completely let it go in one ear and out the other with 'substantial bumpers' 'euro-model' with your response.

1980 versions, at least for the American market, would have had more substantial bumpers. That's probably a Euro-model, without the bumper-regs.

And what does that have to do with the earlier posts? We're taking about a 2020 Passat, not one from 40 years earlier.

If you don't like my comments on the 2020, fine, but they still stand.
Old 01-16-19, 02:58 PM
Hoovey689

So What? So do a lot of vehicles....even today. Sorry...you can post as many egad symbols as you want...my reply stands. If you don't like it, delete the post...you have the authority to do that as a moderator.
He's simply posting an example of the style or features you like on a car and you completely ignored it. That's the point
Old 01-16-19, 03:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
He's simply posting an example of the style or features you like on a car and you completely ignored it. That's the point
Not really. That 1980 VW actually looked more like a hatchback in the rear than a sedan.

Anyhow.....since you're a moderator, is it OK if we stop arguing about this, and get back to the 2020? That's the topic of the thread....not an 1980.
Old 01-16-19, 03:22 PM
Hoovey689

Not really. That 1980 VW actually looked more like a hatchback in the rear than a sedan.

Anyhow.....since you're a moderator, is it OK if we stop arguing about this, and get back to the 2020? That's the topic of the thread....not an 1980.
There it is again with the sidestep. You know we're talking specifically about the grill, tires, and small wheels. But if you want to be smart in your responses to me that's fine.

---- --- --- --- --- ---

2020 Passat utilizes only one powertrain. A 2.0T with 174hp and 207ft-lbs (up from 2019 184ft-lbs) mated to a 6-Speed auto driving the front wheels. No more powerful turbo-4 or V6 options currently available.
Old 01-16-19, 03:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

MM, I was just kidding... I forgot to put the "J/K" and in my post.

2020 Passat utilizes only one powertrain. A 2.0T with 174hp and 207ft-lbs (up from 2019 184ft-lbs) mated to a 6-Speed auto driving the front wheels. No more powerful turbo-4 or V6 options currently available.
Meh, huge mistake & fail IMO - I don't think that's even competitive.

At least it's not built in Mexico....built in Tennessee.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-16-19 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 03:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There it is again with the sidestep. You know we're talking specifically about the grill, tires, and small wheels. But if you want to be smart in your responses to me that's fine.
No disrespect intended. Just moving on.
Old 01-16-19, 03:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

MM, I was just kidding... I forgot to put the "J/K" and in my post.
OK...no problem Moving on.

I'll admit, though, that the 2020 Passat, outside of the grille and wheels/tires, is conservative in its styling...but so are a number of current Audi sedans that sell quite well. The A4, A6, and A8 all resemble each other quite a bit. There is still a market for sedans styled like that....they don't all have to look like the Mercedes CLS. In fact, VW itself did a CLS look-alikewith its now-discontinued CC.

Quick Reply: 2020 Volkswagen Passat