GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2015 GX460 AC system won't sustain

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 08:38 AM
CYW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 GX460 AC system won't sustain

Hi, I have a 2015 GX460. After 3.5 years the AC system start to automatically shut off after 10s or so. When I keep turn it on, sometimes it will sustain after multiple tries, sometimes won't. I took it to the dealer last Nov, and after a week of diagnoses, I was told the evaporator was replaced. Now less than 2 months, this problem came back again, exactly same as before. I have to send it to the dealership again. So now I REALLY concerned what's the real cause for the problem, and what if it keep coming back after my warranty is ended? Anyone has similar experience? Thank you!!
Old 01-15-19, 09:22 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by CYW
Hi, I have a 2015 GX460. After 3.5 years the AC system start to automatically shut off after 10s or so. When I keep turn it on, sometimes it will sustain after multiple tries, sometimes won't. I took it to the dealer last Nov, and after a week of diagnoses, I was told the evaporator was replaced. Now less than 2 months, this problem came back again, exactly same as before. I have to send it to the dealership again. So now I REALLY concerned what's the real cause for the problem, and what if it keep coming back after my warranty is ended? Anyone has similar experience? Thank you!!
How about going to A/C specialty shop? If I were you, I would. Have they recharged the system proper? Is the refrigerant level OK?
Old 01-15-19, 09:36 AM
CYW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
How about going to A/C specialty shop? If I were you, I would. Have they recharged the system proper? Is the refrigerant level OK?
Since it's still under warranty, I took it to dealership. I guess they should know to check these things first? What worries me is after warranty, what should I do? Buy extended warranty? I bought this SUV because of its reputation of reliability, now I'm very disappointed.
Old 01-15-19, 09:47 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CYW

Since it's still under warranty, I took it to dealership. I guess they should know to check these things first? What worries me is after warranty, what should I do? Buy extended warranty? I bought this SUV because of its reputation of reliability, now I'm very disappointed.
You can try dealership again but unless they have a guy trained on AC system, there is nothing much to expect. Evaporator was replaced already by them. Unless it was leaking wonder why they did it(?). Did they do a refrigerant leak test?
The following users liked this post:
CYW (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 09:58 AM
CYW
Driver School Candidate

They didn't tell me the whole process last time. Just text me "evaporator was out. We're waiting for the part". I didn't see any leaking mark on my garage ground though.
Old 01-15-19, 10:13 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CYW
They didn't tell me the whole process last time. Just text me "evaporator was out. We're waiting for the part". I didn't see any leaking mark on my garage ground though.
Refrigerant is compressed gas, also in the system there is some oil as compressor lubrication. When they leak it is hard to id. it visually.
They use dye and special detector(sniffer) to find a leak. You mentioned it worked for 2 months and problem returned. That lead me to
suspect leak. I am no expert on A/C system by any means but understand the basics on how the system works. Good luck.
Old 01-15-19, 10:25 AM
CYW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Refrigerant is compressed gas, also in the system there is some oil as compressor lubrication. When they leak it is hard to id. it visually.
They use dye and special detector(sniffer) to find a leak. You mentioned it worked for 2 months and problem returned. That lead me to
suspect leak. I am no expert on A/C system by any means but understand the basics on how the system works. Good luck.
Thanks! I text it to the service advisor.
Old 01-15-19, 11:02 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

I wonder if our condenser is in front of the radiator. If that's the case it's the first thing to get hit in the front if any large debris come through the grill. It's not all that uncommon. I know with other makes like Honda, car enthusiasts put a fine mesh behind the honey comb grill to prevent large enough debris to puncture the condenser.
Old 01-15-19, 02:58 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

It's on the front of the radiator on passenger side.

Originally Posted by ltsr
I wonder if our condenser is in front of the radiator. If that's the case it's the first thing to get hit in the front if any large debris come through the grill. It's not all that uncommon. I know with other makes like Honda, car enthusiasts put a fine mesh behind the honey comb grill to prevent large enough debris to puncture the condenser.
The following users liked this post:
ltsr (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 03:23 PM
CYW
Driver School Candidate

So the service advisor told me they are checking the proper sealing, freon level, electrical system and other related parts. We will see. Any advice on warranty part? Should the dealer cover this issue even after warranty?
Old 01-16-19, 08:49 PM
lexus817
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Off the top of my head, the evaporator should only be replaced if it were leaking refrigerant.

Do you have any more info on what they think the current problem is? If you could add what they say I can help you understand the problem a little bit better. I am an HVAC tech

ps
if it’s doing the exact same problem, and you had a leaking evaporator coil then it sounds like you could have another leak somewhere. Have them spray soap bubbles on leak and show you.

Last edited by lexus817; 01-16-19 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-17-19, 07:56 AM
CYW
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexus817
Off the top of my head, the evaporator should only be replaced if it were leaking refrigerant.

Do you have any more info on what they think the current problem is? If you could add what they say I can help you understand the problem a little bit better. I am an HVAC tech

ps
if it’s doing the exact same problem, and you had a leaking evaporator coil then it sounds like you could have another leak somewhere. Have them spray soap bubbles on leak and show you.
Thank you! They said Freon level is full. Cause: " excessive gap for AC clutch causing clutch to slip intermittently and shutting off AC compressor." Does this sounds reasonable to you?