ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

For those who say dont change Trans Fluid.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-19, 04:54 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,259 Likes on 1,000 Posts
Default For those who say dont change Trans Fluid.

A Friend of mine has a 2013 ES350 like mine 116k miles. He drives his car out of town a lot. A few weeks ago he developed a clacking ticking noise on any speed acceleration or coast in Drive (D) gear.. I drove his car and heard it too. He took it to a Non Lexus shop, they drove it, said it was likely a noise from the transmission.

So he took it to a Non Lexus transmission shop. They put on the lift, had someone stay in the car and put in Neutral, no noise. Put in Drive wheels truing and there the noise. They are certain its coming from a bearing in the Transmission going bad. So next they drain a little fluid. Trans fluid is pitch dark black. Barely any Red color to it. Shop said trans fluid seemed burnt. And would need the Transmission taken out, torn down and rebuilt to repair. The funny thing is the tranny is shifting smoother than my 13 ES350 with 88k on it. No other problems right now other than that loud noise.

He has a extended warranty on it he is going to call them about it. I called a long time Service Director that I know at a Lexus dealer to talk with Him about it. He claims that the service Manuel does not say don't change, but to do inspect. I was certain that it says don't touch inspect or change its lifetime fluid. He also says he would not be surprised because fluid needs to be checked to be sure that it still has serviceability function.

Anyway, I don't know what caused his problem but I never have believed in the don't change school of thought. I've been procrastinating around about changing my Trans fluid. Not Flush machine. I'm getting a case of Toyota ATF, drain and refill till I've used the case up. I drained a little fluid from my trans drain plug and it was very black too. Everyone I know who has drained and filled the Toyota/Lexus don't touch lifetime fluid has said theirs was black too. Not much claiming that the black color is a definite cause but I know I never let my cars Trans fluid get like that.

Will be interesting to see if they determine what my friends exact problem with Trans is, but He says he will just have a Lexus/Toyota remand one put in to replace. So just letting some know what happened.
Old 01-13-19, 07:02 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Toyota builds some of the best transmission ever created. It sure doesn’t hurt to replace the fluid every 50k miles when your starting with a new car, many people don’t bother trying to change the fluid until they are at 100k plus miles or start having issues. I would start putting new fluid in regularly around each 50k mile cycle. But If you buy the car with higher miles it’s kinda hard to justify playing with such old antique fluids especially when the consensus is you can do more harm than good changing gearbox fluid for the very first time at 130k miles etc.
Old 01-14-19, 03:57 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

I certainly don't say do not change your transmission fluid. Who does however is my local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus. He said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. The color has nothing to do with the integrity of the fluid. Oil that we keep for 10,000 miles after just a few thousand miles has turned dark. If your friend needs a new transmission it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he did not change the transmission. That is like saying I got a flat tire and probably should have changed the air. There is no cause and effect. Linked is a guy that has over one million miles on his Toyota and has never changed the fluid. Your choice to believe the so called experts on here insisting on changing it but has ZERO experience on Lexus vehicles.

Old 01-14-19, 05:31 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I certainly don't say do not change your transmission fluid. Who does however is my local Lexus Service manager who has 25 years experience working on Lexus vehicles and has been trained by Lexus. He said it never needs to be changed. He went to Detroit where the transmissions are made for training and asked what is the #1 cause of Lexus transmission failing. Their reply was the wrong level of fluid and the wrong fluid. Both of these are factors in one changing the fluid. The color has nothing to do with the integrity of the fluid. Oil that we keep for 10,000 miles after just a few thousand miles has turned dark. If your friend needs a new transmission it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he did not change the transmission. That is like saying I got a flat tire and probably should have changed the air. There is no cause and effect. Linked is a guy that has over one million miles on his Toyota and has never changed the fluid. Your choice to believe the so called experts on here insisting on changing it but has ZERO experience on Lexus vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8glWcEuxw3U&t=222s
I’m no mechanic, I can’t change transmission fluid, but I can vouch that Toyota transmission don’t last forever. I have had two failed gearboxes from Toyota products both were pushing 200k miles. My experience is also limited to only a few Toyota products. The German manufacturers say the same thing, never touch your fluid. And the service manager sing the same song, it’s lifetime fluid, and the customers always ask what’s your definition of a lifetime? And the service manager will then say to me we don’t go by miles, but generally speaking the transmission can last well over 100k or about 10-15 years. German cars gearboxes always seem to fell between 100k and 200k miles ifyou never change the fluid. Most people don’t keep their German cars much past 100k miles anyway, so this failed gearbox scenario never falls into their lap. It’s usually the sencond or third owner that see the gearbox failure. Expert owners as you call them, have shown that German gearboxes go well into the 200-300k plus mile range by properly changing the fluids every 50k miles. I’m sure some Toyota expert owners will chime in on this thread. But from my experience of never changing the Toyota gearbox fluid I have had bad luck twice.
Old 01-14-19, 06:27 AM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

One of the best threads I have ever started:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-analyzed.html
Old 01-14-19, 09:33 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

One must also consider that of the thousands and thousands of Toyota transmissions created, not all will be perfect. There will be exceptions to the rule where a tranny goes bad.
Same thing with water pumps, alternators, door actuators, and on and on. But a report of a "noise" in the trans still, IMO, doesn't warrant disregarding the advice of Lexus engineers who are probably a lot smarter regarding transmissions than those of us writing on this blog.
Old 01-14-19, 09:47 AM
STLLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Amen! All parts will fail some sooner,some later.
Old 01-14-19, 04:52 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

All of this could be true. But I will be changing out all 12 quarts on my ES with new fluid this weekend. New fluid will not make my transmission worst.
Old 01-14-19, 09:10 PM
WNC
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

2008 ES 350 with 212,000 miles. NEVER changed the transmission fluid. Car runs so good that when I bought a new 2017 ES 350, I kept my 08. Dang, I still love driving the 08!!
Old 01-15-19, 06:22 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by WNC
2008 ES 350 with 212,000 miles. NEVER changed the transmission fluid. Car runs so good that when I bought a new 2017 ES 350, I kept my 08. Dang, I still love driving the 08!!
That's impressive to hear!!!
Old 01-15-19, 06:32 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
One must also consider that of the thousands and thousands of Toyota transmissions created, not all will be perfect.......
I am in agreement with this; I am an Engineer (Chemical Engineer) and I understand even in design and manufacturing process there may be some defect, which are very very minimal to the overall production/process.
On the other hand, nothing lasts forever. Fluids (synthetic or mineral) tend to lose integrity over time due to heat; molecules degenerate over time. And with this understanding of thermodynamics and strength of material, I do advise drain/fill of the ATF at some mileage...(but I will add "Everyone to his/her opinion"). But better to be safe than sorry.
I have done drain and fill with appropriate tools and correct ATF temperature. Good luck to ALL
The following users liked this post:
lji (07-19-19)
Old 01-15-19, 06:38 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WNC
But there are many other 2008's that have had Transmission problems also.
Old 01-15-19, 06:41 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
But there are many other 2008's that have had Transmission problems also.
There are? How many?
Old 01-15-19, 10:14 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
There are? How many?
You think I would have the count? LOL!

Look up Transmission Flare problem if you need your question answered.
Old 01-15-19, 10:17 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by WNC
I guess we will see how the 13-18 does when most get to 115k or more.

Quick Reply: For those who say dont change Trans Fluid.