LC Model (2018-present)

LC convertible prototype photoshoot

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 04:37 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts
Default LC convertible prototype photoshoot

Back in January 2018, my Lexus dealer GM told me that a convertible would be coming in 2019, followed by an LCF for the 2020 calendar year. It appears that he's been getting very reliable information up to now.

https://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/lexus/26147257.html

and video:

Last edited by SuperGT; 01-11-19 at 07:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
uchujin (01-11-19)
Old 01-11-19, 07:03 AM
YellowFJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OH Wow! This is stunning. I think they did a great job not making it so "lumpy" in the 3/4 like some other convertibles out there.

Hopefully, the car remain sleek with the tops up.
Old 01-11-19, 12:37 PM
dinobantin
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

now we all know that even concept its 90 percent production ready..
Old 01-11-19, 06:27 PM
Oilman
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

As I looked at the photos of the 'vert, something didn't look quite to scale to me. Now I know why. The article says the wheels are 22 inches vs the 21's on the 2018 coupe. Not quite right, IMO.
Old 01-12-19, 11:00 AM
Zeitaku
Pole Position

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

This does not look right in a convertible option. Something is a miss here. I think it's the wide front end and large hips with a narrow center that throw it off. Anyway, Lexus just needs to gives us the LC-F and stop tinkering around with more designs on the NA platform. Give us the damn power already and make sure to have the LC-F under 4,000 lbs. curb weight. Lexus you're perfectly capable of producing a high quality motor and the 2JZ is quite evident for that. Start reading and listening to what your customers want instead of allowing these designers and engineers to keep producing such docile and heavy cars. The United States wants to go fast with the looks and luxury combined. You've got two out of three just get the power in there and you will dominate the market on a real level.
The following users liked this post:
EricPaul (02-07-19)
Old 01-12-19, 01:10 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

Aside from the obvious roof area differences, the biggest unexpected visual difference that I can see is the pinched seam that runs from the quarter panel into the door. Not sure how much of this will make it through to production. Otherwise, the front looks about the same to me.(?) I wouldn't worry about an upcoming NA convertible taking any focus away from a forced-induction LC-F. All rumors are - we're gonna see both as different 2020 models (I personally don't think you'll see an LC-F convertible, just a coupe). I understand they are two distinct projects. I agree - the LC-F will need the noted weight reduction. Not sure how much of that we'll see right away since that's more of a significant re-work to the current design than dropping in a new powerplant. I'm also concerned about the weight distribution. More weight under the hood will move the ratio farther away from the 50:50 target. My understanding is that they already achieved 650HP on the LC-F project mid-2018, but they weren't content with that and were onto "phase 2". Who knows for sure (my GM got that info from a lead engineer at a Lexus event in Texas a few months back). But knowing Lexus, they won't go into production on anything quickly. They'll test the crap out of everything in a variety of conditions, over a significant period of time first. It's just what they do, which eventually translates into better reliability for us.

Last edited by uchujin; 01-12-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-12-19, 05:00 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeitaku
This does not look right in a convertible option. Something is a miss here. I think it's the wide front end and large hips with a narrow center that throw it off. Anyway, Lexus just needs to gives us the LC-F and stop tinkering around with more designs on the NA platform. Give us the damn power already and make sure to have the LC-F under 4,000 lbs. curb weight. Lexus you're perfectly capable of producing a high quality motor and the 2JZ is quite evident for that. Start reading and listening to what your customers want instead of allowing these designers and engineers to keep producing such docile and heavy cars. The United States wants to go fast with the looks and luxury combined. You've got two out of three just get the power in there and you will dominate the market on a real level.
Originally Posted by uchujin
Aside from the obvious roof area differences, the biggest unexpected visual difference that I can see is the pinched seam that runs from the quarter panel into the door. Not sure how much of this will make it through to production. Otherwise, the front looks about the same to me.(?) I wouldn't worry about an upcoming NA convertible taking any focus away from a forced-induction LC-F. All rumors are - we're gonna see both as different 2020 models (I personally don't think you'll see an LC-F convertible, just a coupe). I understand they are two distinct projects. I agree - the LC-F will need the noted weight reduction. Not sure how much of that we'll see right away since that's more of a significant re-work to the current design than dropping in a new powerplant. I'm also concerned about the weight distribution. More weight under the hood will move the ratio farther away from the 50:50 target. My understanding is that they already achieved 650HP on the LC-F project mid-2018, but they weren't content with that and were onto "phase 2". Who knows for sure (my GM got that info from a lead engineer at a Lexus event in Texas a few months back). But knowing Lexus, they won't go into production on anything quickly. They'll test the crap out of everything in a variety of conditions, over a significant period of time first. It's just what they do, which eventually translates into better reliability for us.

Agree with both post above.
Zeit, you gunna sell or trade in your LC500 for the LCF?! If so, time to stop modding it, lol. You probably have $140k or so in the LC500 now as it is!

V.
Old 01-13-19, 01:00 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Old 01-13-19, 06:09 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting reads on this thread.
Old 01-13-19, 07:07 PM
SUNLINE
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Hope they produce the LCF in drop top version. Why not, Mercedes offers the GT as does Jaguar, Corvette, and Aston. Also all the mid engine cars have the same offering, current exception the NSX.
Old 01-16-19, 06:39 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think it looks great!
Old 01-16-19, 05:32 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Barring something crazy happening, I think this is certain to hit production. It just won a design award in Detroit, and given how well the LC was received, a convertible seems like a natural next step.
Old 01-16-19, 07:36 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I haven't seen any pictures with the top up. Has anyone?
Old 01-17-19, 08:28 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperGT
From what I was told through my Dealer General Manager, the final choice among several roof designs has yet to be approved so no pictures are planned to be shared at this time.
The vert looks great.

But IMO the swooping black hard top itself is a large part of the look of the LC. and why I own the car. It might be hard to meet that appeal with a vert.

The topless vert as I see it today reminds me a lot of the Jag. Although I have not seen the LC vert in person.

The current LC lifts my soul as it looks like no other.
Old 01-17-19, 07:38 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonose
The vert looks great.

But IMO the swooping black hard top itself is a large part of the look of the LC. and why I own the car. It might be hard to meet that appeal with a vert.

The topless vert as I see it today reminds me a lot of the Jag. Although I have not seen the LC vert in person.

The current LC lifts my soul as it looks like no other.
Looking at it again, I can totally see where you're coming from with the Jag comparison. That said, I'm really curious as to how this looks in person, and what the roof will look like. Because I think this is totally going to see production.

Quick Reply: LC convertible prototype photoshoot