IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Need some help with sidewall being ripped from pothole...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 12:47 PM
Maxxxx
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need some help with sidewall being ripped from pothole...

Was driving in the rain today and hit a hidden pothole...put a big dent to the rim and ripped/cracked my sidewall(not sure if this is the part of the sidewall, please see the pictures)
The same thing happened to me on the same tire 2 months back, and I had it replaced. I might have to replace all 4 tires this time since the other 3 original tires were worn even more to keep wear even for the AWD system.

What you you guys think? Is this just cosmetic or there might be some safety concerns(I'm concerning that it may crack deeper through being pressured back and forth while driving)?
Should I leave it as is, replace just this one, or all 4? Any advises?

Last edited by Maxxxx; 12-16-18 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 04:38 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Take it to a shop you trust, but if it was me I would replace your tires. I can’t tell if you can see belts in the rip or not. If you take some soapy water and spray the tire down are you getting bubbles?
Old 12-17-18, 05:25 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

That big section that pokes out houses a metal bead that runs the length of the tire. If there is no damage at all to the soft part of the sidewall, just damage to the bead area, then I'd say you're fine.

However, there may be damage on the INSIDE that you can't see, since it hit hard enough to bend the wheel.

New tires, new wheel.
Old 12-17-18, 09:13 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If i am not mistaken that part of the tire is called "rim protector" and is designed to take a hit to help protect the rim for curb rash, now you hit a pothole at speeds so yes I agree you need to go check it out by professionals but if its just that small pinch on the rim protector then I wouldn't worry about it.
PS never completely rely on keyboard mechanics........LOL

Old 12-17-18, 09:22 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

That's funny, what Michelin calls a "rim protector" hahaha. Their sidewall is nearly FLAT with no protection at all.

Companies like Pirelli that put an actual steel bead under the rubber, pushing it out much further are MUCH better at protecting a wheel.

Same exact size tires on same exact size wheels. Spot the difference...

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
https://photos.smugmug.com/Wheels-ti...O/Michelin.jpg

Pirelli PZero Rosso
https://photos.smugmug.com/Wheels-ti.../O/Pirelli.jpg
Old 12-17-18, 09:26 AM
SSworks
Driver

LOL it was the first manufactures illustrated pic that came up but yah its nonexistent really.
Old 12-17-18, 09:28 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Hahah, but you're right though, some companies put that there to protect wheels, it's just some do it far better than others. The Turanza has a decent one IMO, but really, the car should have just worn wider tires .
Old 12-17-18, 09:32 AM
SSworks
Driver

If I were to take a pic and show your guys my back right tire then you all would tell me I am crazy. I have two deep cuts in the side wall both times it was a complete brain fart, cut the corner too close while turning in and clipped edge of the curb and yes did it twice LOL

Last edited by SSworks; 12-17-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-17-18, 10:49 AM
Maxxxx
Driver

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
Take it to a shop you trust, but if it was me I would replace your tires. I can’t tell if you can see belts in the rip or not. If you take some soapy water and spray the tire down are you getting bubbles?
the rip is not that deep (1/8-1/4”), I can only see rubber when I pull it open, not leaking as well.
Old 12-17-18, 10:52 AM
Maxxxx
Driver

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
That big section that pokes out houses a metal bead that runs the length of the tire. If there is no damage at all to the soft part of the sidewall, just damage to the bead area, then I'd say you're fine.

However, there may be damage on the INSIDE that you can't see, since it hit hard enough to bend the wheel.

New tires, new wheel.
the rim didn’t bent, just a little dent like it’s from a curb rash. No damage to the sidewall, just this little rip on the ‘rim protector’. So I should be fine then?
Old 12-17-18, 10:58 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Maxxxx

the rim didn’t bent, just a little dent like it’s from a curb rash. No damage to the sidewall, just this little rip on the ‘rim protector’. So I should be fine then?
No damage to the sidewall that you can see.

If the tire was crimped hard enough to dent the wheel, then there could be internal damage.

So yeah, I'd replace the tire. I mean, seriously bro, you're not driving a Ford Fiesta, if you were broke as a joke you could take the chance, but you're driving a $50K luxury sport sedan, you can afford the tire.
Old 12-17-18, 10:59 AM
Maxxxx
Driver

Originally Posted by SSworks
If i am not mistaken that part of the tire is called "rim protector" and is designed to take a hit to help protect the rim for curb rash, now you hit a pothole at speeds so yes I agree you need to go check it out by professionals but if its just that small pinch on the rim protector then I wouldn't worry about it.
PS never completely rely on keyboard mechanics........LOL

yea, don’t see any exposed bead when I pull on that rip on the ‘rim protector’, it’s like 1/4” long and 1/8” deep. So I should be okay for now (the other 3 tired are worn in the inside, time to look for replacements soon anyways)

sidewall is fine, I’m just concerned if the crack will grow fast enough to cause safety concerns
Old 12-17-18, 11:00 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Maybe when you buy tires next time you need to invest in those with a slightly taller sidewall to offer you more protection.
Old 12-17-18, 11:03 AM
Maxxxx
Driver

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
No damage to the sidewall that you can see.

If the tire was crimped hard enough to dent the wheel, then there could be internal damage.

So yeah, I'd replace the tire. I mean, seriously bro, you're not driving a Ford Fiesta, if you were broke as a joke you could take the chance, but you're driving a $50K luxury sport sedan, you can afford the tire.
I get what you’re saying man. It’s just that the other 3 are not new enough for me to replace just one tire(I have AWD that needs similar tread wear on all 4 tires)

so we are basically talking about $1.3k here

im thinking of 4 new higher performance all-seasons, cheaper and better performance(don’t know why these OEM Turanza costs so much for it’s performance)

looking at 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ or Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS
Old 12-17-18, 11:11 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Maxxxx

I get what you’re saying man. It’s just that the other 3 are not new enough for me to replace just one tire(I have AWD that needs similar tread wear on all 4 tires)

so we are basically talking about $1.3k here

im thinking of 4 new higher performance all-seasons, cheaper and better performance(don’t know why these OEM Turanza costs so much for it’s performance)

looking at 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ or Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

Try $688 shipped..

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...D&autoModClar=

Quick Reply: Need some help with sidewall being ripped from pothole...