NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Maintenance Required - What maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 11:22 AM
athiker
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintenance Required - What maintenance?

Dumb question of the day. Every time I start the car I get the maintenance required warning. There are plenty of videos to show me how to reset the data for scheduled and oil maintenance. Here is a pretty quick on for anyone that needs it -

However, I can't find a single one that shows me how to find out exactly what maintenance the computer is trying to tell me I need!? I'm sure this must be obvious, but I can't find it.

Any directions appreciated.
Old 12-15-18, 12:50 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by athiker
Dumb question of the day. Every time I start the car I get the maintenance required warning. There are plenty of videos to show me how to reset the data for scheduled and oil maintenance. Here is a pretty quick on for anyone that needs it - https://youtu.be/6Kx6H1Ana0k

However, I can't find a single one that shows me how to find out exactly what maintenance the computer is trying to tell me I need!? I'm sure this must be obvious, but I can't find it.

Any directions appreciated.
When was your last oil change? Sounds like it is time for that. Regular scheduled oil change includes tire check and rotation, brake pad check,
fluid level check and top up
Old 12-15-18, 01:45 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Owners manual? I believe there’s a page that lists the maintenance required at any given mileage.
Old 12-15-18, 02:04 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

[QUOTE=olgzr;10385043]
Owners manual? I believe there’s a page that lists the maintenance required at any given mileage.
[/QUOTE

Actually some cars pop up specific message like '29 days to service A03' In this case it's an oil change.

Old 12-15-18, 02:22 PM
athiker
Rookie

Thanks and sorry for any confusion but I'm not asking what the the maintenance intervals are or what they include, I have that information.

What I'm wondering is surely there must be some way to actually see what needs to be done from the maintenance minder? It seems silly to throw a warning/reminder that reads, "Maintenance Required...See Your Dealer" and then have no way of seeing whether its 15k service, 30k service, brake fluid, transmission fluid, oil, air filter, etc. If I take it to a dealer how does the dealer determine what it needs? Do they actually have to plug in a diagnostic scanner to get codes from the vehicle computer?

I'm looking for something more like Htony mentioned, where can I find this? Our Honda Ody will display a code such as A1 or B1 or something similar and you can look up what items are included in an A1 reminder vs a B1 reminder. I don't see anything like that on the Lexus, but have to believe I'm just not looking in the right spot?

There is plenty of info out there about how to reset the maintenance minder but none that I can find that show what the heck its reminding me to do!
Old 12-16-18, 07:59 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Worry not. I got your back.
I had same message pop up. After wasting time looking through internet and manual, I emailed Lexus USA.
That resulted in vague "we don't know what it is" response.
I fixed it by simply resetting my oil minder. That said, oil was nowhere due, as this happened about 3 months after oil change during vehicle pre sale maintenance by dealer and I witnessed oil minder light reset in my presence.
As the result, as at that point it became vague, when exactly to change oil now, I simply changed oil myself, reset minder one more time, and that message went away.
If you really go through your settings, you may find that oil minder can be set in 2 different areas. It could have been just one of them, tripping that message. You can reset it in your center dash display AND set mileage due for the next oil change in Settings> Maintenance.
Old 12-16-18, 09:10 AM
athiker
Rookie

Thanks, so it sounds like the consensus is its just a "dumb" mileage based only type reminder?...not pointing to anything specific...unlike say a check engine light that would throw a specific code to a diagnostic scanner. Interesting and still surprising.

I log my maintenance and changed the oil myself not that long ago so maybe I just didn't reset it at the time or maybe it really has been on since I passed 30k....I have have had a few longer trips the last month or so. It only has about 34k on it as it has had fairly light use overall.

Just really weird to me as our 2005 Ody had specific maintenance codes as does our current 2015 Ody....seems a 2015 Lexus would. Resetting and forgetting I guess.
Old 12-16-18, 03:39 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Yeah... Should and is is different terms in Toyota mind. It's rather sad for 2015 LEXUS!!!! Just reset oil minder.
Old 12-18-18, 10:15 PM
jelco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to know. just had the same issue