RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2020 rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-18, 06:51 AM
garbo
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2020 rx 350

Has anyone heard about a minor remake for the 2020 RX 350? Doing a Google search I came across a YOUTUBE video :
, Seems the presenter works for a Lexus dealership and the manager of the dealership attended a national meeting of Lexus managers in Texas. The video speaks about several Lexus models. Regarding the RX, he seems to say that Lexus will finally be getting rid of the mouse/pad in favor of a touch screen! Also some minor changes to the front facia. Personally I think the 2019 ES facia is so much nicer with the vertical grill.
Old 12-15-18, 08:57 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The one thing that Japanese automakers do that somewhat irk's me is not update models as frequently as European and American automakers. Given the RX is only 4 years old on the new generation, I don't see any significant changes coming for several years. Take the GX 460.... The interior is so outdated, it's a joke. For the last 3 years we've been waiting for an update similar to the LX to replace a minivan and it hasn't happened.
Old 12-15-18, 09:06 AM
garbo
Driver

Originally Posted by jugdish
The one thing that Japanese automakers do that somewhat irk's me is not update models as frequently as European and American automakers. Given the RX is only 4 years old on the new generation, I don't see any significant changes coming for several years. Take the GX 460.... The interior is so outdated, it's a joke. For the last 3 years we've been waiting for an update similar to the LX to replace a minivan and it hasn't happened.
I agree that it is very unusual for a major update to take place in only 4 years, six years is more likely. However this video seems to indicate the touchscreen for the 2020 model yr and some minor front facia change. Also interesting to note that the usual 3 year minor update did not take place disregarding the rx350L addition.
Old 12-15-18, 12:10 PM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't hear any "inside" information there. OLD PEOPLE can't use the mouse, so we need a touchscreen to sell more than a crap-tonne of these RXs.
The following users liked this post:
Graham6215 (01-26-19)
Old 12-15-18, 12:27 PM
garbo
Driver

Ok what he says in the video is "...not going to the fully touch screen in the 2020Rx. My guess is that the main screen....is going to be touch screen." Ok how good is his guess? Well the only information he tells us is that he works at a Lexus dealership and has been briefed by the dealership manager who attended a national meeting where he/she was briefed by Lexus. I am guessing that whatever his manager heard and related to his staff is where the information is coming from. So I would interpret his 'guess' as something that was said at the national meeting but was not definite for 2028 but is possible. Once again major changes are usually done after 6 years, so is this considered a major or minor change?
Old 12-15-18, 01:25 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,353 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by Usual
I don't hear any "inside" information there. OLD PEOPLE can't use the mouse, so we need a touchscreen to sell more than a crap-tonne of these RXs.
Touchscreen can be more distracting than most remote interfaces. I have no issues with the mouse clunky or not.
Old 12-15-18, 01:43 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

While I appreciate the OP video, as I personally have seen the channels content (ie salesmen at one of the Lexus + dealerships in america), alot of is heresay. The RX would be up for its mid life cycle update like the NX, but I dont know how far the touch screen would work due to the current distance between the driver and the current screen. They would have to put in a lot of effort to redesign the dash, and all just for a couple more years when the RX would shift to the new architecture....

This is purely speculation, and also based on my personal take on how SLOW lexus updates their in car tech aka theyre the one brand that moves at a snails pace/rest on their laurels.
Old 12-15-18, 10:57 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

i will be surprised if they go back to the touch screen.
Old 12-16-18, 12:39 AM
Grizsk
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 18 Posts

At this point I think it may be safe to assume Gen10 infotainment with the touch pad vs mouse, and if I’m reaching, maybe some of the downward swooping elements under the headlights as seen on the LC models.

This just popped up in my feed today and may offer some grand (albeit unlikely) hopes:

Old 12-16-18, 04:53 AM
Usual
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
i will be surprised if they go back to the touch screen.
There's a reason that touchscreen computers haven't been successful, it's a terrible interface for anything but a phone or tablet. I don't want to reach across to a screen, i want a controller close at hand in a comfortable location. The mouse interface takes a bit of time to get used to, but I find it very easy to use now.
I've seen and tried the various interfaces that have come and gone over the past 40 years using computers and the mouse is simply the best interface device.

Old 12-16-18, 05:05 AM
garbo
Driver

I have used the mouse for 3.5 year and find it very distracting and difficult to use. Touchscreen may not be perfect but I would find it easier to use. Given all choices I would go back to *****/buttons for many of the basic functions and the technology for those less used functions. At least build in redundancy, ,i.e., ***** and tech and let the user decide.

However I didn't mean for this thread to be strictly about touchscreens but rather about upcoming changes for the Rx.

I do very much appreciate the comments by Coolsaber.
Old 12-17-18, 09:31 AM
CharmCtyIS
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Once I got used to the mouse I actually prefer it over a touch screen.
Old 12-17-18, 11:53 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

As I stated in another thread before:

The mouse is better is a way that the screen does not have to be closer. If closer, it means that it is further away from the line of sight from the road. With a touch screen, you almost need to learn by heart the button locations so that you let your eyes too long off the road.

I got used to the mouse and I like it lot, and I like the current screen location. I don't want it to be lower in the console.
Old 12-17-18, 08:46 PM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What I heard is that full model change won’t be happening until at least mid ‘21. And on that model, there’ll indeed be two displays (think the relatively old prototype video.. I think from. 2015). One display will be around where current nav is and won’t be touch, the other one will supposedly replace the whole or most part of instrumental console (in the center), and will span into the area of where the current touchpad is located (kinda Tesla style but more flush?..). And that one will be touch.
Complete front console redesign.

Also some info about properly embedded digital side mirrors (unlike the DIY-ish ES implementation), located on the sides of the central panel arch (not sure how it’s called.. the one behind the wheel) so you don’t have to turn your head all the way to look at the mirrors.

As as for so called big minor change, it is happening mid ‘19. So I don’t see how we really can expect anything completely new unless after a couple of years after that.
The following users liked this post:
garbo (12-18-18)
Old 12-20-18, 07:08 PM
garbo
Driver

Where did you find this information? Is it on the net?

Quick Reply: 2020 rx 350