Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default New RAV4 interior really sucks.

Ok. So before everyone gets in a tizzy. The overall design is not bad. The interior design is really nice and fresh. Cannot believe how much rear cargo room there is even though Toyota reduced the cargo hold.

Great premium tires in Michelin Primacy A/S
All is the buttons feel pretty good.

Where this thing just blows....is the interior materials and fit and finish. The amount of acres and acres of hard plastic is just absurd. Almost 1998 S-10 pick up plastic. It’s not so much how much plastic there is, it’s how pathetically cheap it feels. The only soft touch material on the front door is the elbow arm rest. That is it.

Now for fit and finish. If get failing marks for fit and finish too. You can bend and move so many parts if you try. The center console has a wobble. The mirrors shake when you close the doors.

Overall, it’s a great interior design. But sad to see how bad the materials are. Perhaps materials get better in the limited models.

The Rav4 I sat in was a Trail Edition with what looks like all the options.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-16-18 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 02:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So you have had a chance to sit in one? Where were you.....at the L. A. Auto Show? It hasn't been released yet here in the D.C. area, though several samples are on their way.

Quite a panning of the interior. And you thought I was hard on the 2013-2015 Avalon, and its flimsy interior parts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-14-18 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-14-18, 02:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Toronto On. It’s on sale now.
Old 12-14-18, 04:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-14-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 05:36 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Which trim line did you sit in? What did you think of how the exterior looks in-person? My mom is interested in checking one out when they make their way into dealerships.
Old 12-15-18, 05:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I sat in the Trail Edition.

Exterior was nice. Look smaller in person than in the marketing pics. However, the roof height is about the same as the Highlander give or take.
Old 12-15-18, 06:15 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Can't help but feel that cars offer more technology today but something else has to give to keep the price at a certain level. And plus at least half the cars are leased so the prognosis is different. What I mean is that if I got one as a rental car, it'd be fine since I don't own it, and I think many people who "possess" a vehicle for 36 mos. look at it that way too. But what they do want is the apple play, electronics, etc. I just walked by the newest gen Camry in the gym parking lot, and it too (probably what 2 y.o. almost not sure) has the big rust stripe on the back rotors. It isn't that Japanese can't design best or better, they don't want to....my .02

p.s. if you want to talk sub par fit/finish let's talk GM

edit p.p.s. talking about cost cutting look at the suspensions--I was behind a new Subaru big SUV yesterday, looked really junky--I'm sure they would say who looks at a suspension anyway

Last edited by Johnhav430; 12-15-18 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-15-18, 07:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
p.s. if you want to talk sub par fit/finish let's talk GM
Nope. Not any more. You're talking way in the past.....more than 10 years.
Old 12-15-18, 10:16 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nope. Not any more. You're talking way in the past.....more than 10 years.
Depends on the product. I cross shopped the ATS and CTS and they weren't up to par with their competitors. Piano black everywhere and hard plastics.
Old 12-15-18, 01:55 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I think its the 1st MY beta test. I doubt anyone would care, since most off the block will be leases but its disappointing to see it.
Old 12-15-18, 02:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I think its the 1st MY beta test. I doubt anyone would care, since most off the block will be leases but its disappointing to see it.
Perhaps it is a first model year thing, but it’s looks looks Toyota went a step back in the name of profits. Especially when the last few Toyota model interiors they released were very good.
Old 12-15-18, 02:54 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

So today. We went to another Toyota dealer to get a new gas cap for my 4Runner as the CEL is driving me crazy. Inside, this dealer had three different models. Base, mid and the top. Good to note, the top trim level does have more soft touch materials on the doors, the limited is quite nice.

But on second go around, the fit and finish is even worse than the first look. Here are some additional pics of misaligned panels and parts and cheap materials altogether. It is quite insulting.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-15-18 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Here are some additional pics of misaligned panels and parts and cheap materials altogether. It is quite insulting.
The first C-HR I looked at (if you remember me posting about it) was even worse. The entire lower-panel of the dash was sprung so much that it partially-blocked the On/Off button for the engine. I didn't have my cell-phone with me, so I couldn't take a shot and post it....otherwise I would have. I tried to repair it myself with what few tools I carry with me......no dice. It had to be disassembled in the shop and re-done.

The new 2019 Avalon XLE I sampled, though, was almost completely the opposite inside....like a Swiss Watch, far better than the unimpressive and flimsy 2013-2015. In fact, it was a lot better than its own more expensive XSE cousin, where the all-black interior, with a lot of hard surfaces, reminded one of a coal mine.

I won't doubt your findings on the new RAV-4, but I have review-requests from several CL members (and others), and plan a major inspection and test-drive of one, inside and out. What version of the 2019 RAV-4 did you look at? I presume, from your comments, that it was a base model.

And...cheap materials or not, this vehicle still appeals to a LOT of buyers....the tremendous sales numbers alone proves that. It also might(?) explain some of the quality-lapses in the interior assembly you found. If too many vehicles are rolling down the assembly line one after another (and the line-personnel and inspectors are under pressure to keep productivity up), they will have less time to adequately do the job on each vehicle without some slip-ups getting by.

This review, BTW, agrees with your assessment of cheap interior materials...and also criticizes the stiff suspension/tires.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-re...a-rav4-review/

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-15-18 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-15-18, 03:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
it’s looks looks Toyota went a step back in the name of profits.
i've said it before, toyota is the new gm... cost cutting everywhere for profits, and resting on their laurels and reputation of high reliability. their huge profits will continue until disrupted... when someone else truly offers a better value proposition, toyota may have slower growth or even decline. i have a feeling it might come in the form of an electric vehicle, because the drivetrain is simpler, will become cheaper in time, and is extremely reliable.
Old 12-15-18, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i've said it before, toyota is the new gm... cost cutting everywhere for profits, and resting on their laurels and reputation of high reliability. their huge profits will continue until disrupted... when someone else truly offers a better value proposition,

Kia?

Quick Reply: New RAV4 interior really sucks.