GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Needing to move away from the GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 12:29 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Needing to move away from the GS

Let me just summarize this by saying that I love the GS and would not consider selling/trading AT ALL but I am faced with little choice because I need 6 seats due to a growing family.

My wife drives a brand new Odyssey in Elite trim so this would not be our primary family vehicle but I am a firm believer in “two is one and one is none” and so I am looking to switch it up.

I started looking at possibilities in the 35-55k price range and here are my preliminary findings for possibilities (in no particular order) :

1. The BMW X5 looks terrible these days, but is available with a third row. Again, gross.

2. Lexus RX350L. Completely uninspiring.

3. Audi Q7. It interests me though I am uneasy about getting back into a German.

4. Toyota Sequoia. I owned a 2010 before and thoroughly enjoyed it, though fuel economy sucked.

5. Land Cruiser, nice but tough to carve corners in.

6. Mazda CX-9... the new ones are sweet.

7. Nothing Infiniti.

8. Some kind of crew cab pickup truck with a good amount of bells and whistles.

9. Mercedes GL.. elephant on stilts.

So I am wondering what like minded drivers would opt for in my circumstances...

Old 12-14-18, 03:02 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Honestly if you are looking at the Land cruiser you might as well look at the Lexus LX570 the pricing really isn't that far apart between new and used. If reliability isnt an issue to you I would say the Audi Q7 for sure it is amazing and still fun to drive.
Old 12-14-18, 03:37 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Is there some reason the MDX and QX60 are not on your list?

I recently purchased a 2015 QX60 to replace our 2006 MDX, and I'm pretty impressed with the car.
It's versatile, comfortable, great set of amenities.
Old 12-14-18, 05:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

"My wife drives a brand new Odyssey in Elite trim so this would not be our primary family vehicle"

What was the point in getting the Odyssey if that's not your primary family vehicle?
You wife only drives vans even by herself?
Old 12-14-18, 06:20 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
"My wife drives a brand new Odyssey in Elite trim so this would not be our primary family vehicle"

What was the point in getting the Odyssey if that's not your primary family vehicle?
You wife only drives vans even by herself?
I believe he is saying his GS replacement would not be the primary family vehicle. Even though his wife has the Odyssesy, he wants to be able to fit his entire family in both cars.

What about Lexus GX?
Old 12-14-18, 06:42 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Tesla Model X 6 seater
Toyota 4Runnner
Volvo XC90
Old 12-14-18, 09:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

MDX would be my top choice, strange that OP did not include it. Reliable, 7 seater, sporty, pretty quick, not too expensive, still luxurious.
Old 12-14-18, 09:53 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

I think out of the cars you've mentioned, the CX-9 would get my vote. Mazda seems to be heading in a great direction and the CX-9 looks great inside & out. Reviews are also quite favorable of it.

I'd agree with you on nothing Infiniti. I've driven many QX60 loaners as well as RX350L and RX450hL loaners and if you think the RX is uninspiring, oh boy that QX60 though...

I'd also lean towards the Highlander rather than RX L if you wanted better usable space in the 3rd row.

MDX could also be a good choice, looks great in A-Spec trim and with their SH-AWD system would likely still be fun if you hit a few corners here or there.
Old 12-14-18, 10:57 AM
IndyIS
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

We had a 2015 Mazda CX-9 Touring for a couple years and it was nice, but it had random electrical goblins that would light up the dash like a Christmas tree so we traded in last December for a new Acura MDX. Both have a third row but the Acura has more power and way more bells and whistles. CarPlay wasn’t an option for the 2017 model year, but added in 2018 in the Acura.

I’m a fan of Mazda (my first new car 20+ years ago was a Mazda, and we bought our son a Mazda 3), but the biggest reason we didn’t get another when leaving the 2015 was because the engine is only the 4 cylinder in the newer CX-9’s - fine for everyday driving but you’re not towing much.

The MDX is worth a look, especially if you go with the SH-AWD and various packages.
Old 12-14-18, 11:12 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you wanting fun to drive to lead? Resale? Reliability?

I'd say if I had to replace my GS to accommodate a 3 row SUV, I'd go Volvo XC90, Toyota Highlander Hybrid, or Acura MDX Sport Hybrid. I'm a fan of the electric motor boost over the MPG savings.

I also loved my Wife's 16 Explorer Sport with the Twin Turbo V6. Powertrain was worth it alone. Bigger but just a well sorted motor and chassis.
Old 12-14-18, 11:21 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
MDX would be my top choice, strange that OP did not include it. Reliable, 7 seater, sporty, pretty quick, not too expensive, still luxurious.
MDX handling is above par for the class, but the ZF9 tranny has a mind of its own and prone to hunt gears alot. I absolutely hate the double stack center console and the button shifter.
Old 12-14-18, 11:45 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Another vote for '17-'19 MDX Sport Hybrid. We have the '17 Sport Hybrid. It seat 7 comfortably albeit third row is for kids only.
The MDX drives super smooth and is very quiet. It has the better DCT 7 Speed vs the ZF9 in the regular gas model.
My only complaint about it is the poor and confusing dual screen Infotainment system and the down-market cheap interior. Not as nice as Lexus, but it serve its purpose as a family hauler and great road trip car.

My second vote is 5G 4Runner Limited, but it's pretty expensive. If you're looking at that might as well move up to the Lexus GX.
Old 12-14-18, 11:47 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Look into the new Honda Passport with the V6 option. A little larger than the CRV and more sportier than the Pilot. It should hold it's resale value pretty well. It may end up being cheaper than an Acura MDX too.
Old 12-14-18, 12:00 PM
dphu626
Pole Position

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I would suggest, though it's not on your list, the Highlander XLE. It looks great, drives great, is pretty comfortable for long trips. Plus it's Toyota made.
Old 12-14-18, 12:02 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
Tesla Model X 6 seater
Toyota 4Runnner
Volvo XC90
Should’ve mentioned the 4R but it is out of the running at the moment because of the 4.0L. Poor gas mileage and poorer acceleration. If it was available with a souped up (ie, over ~310 hp) 3.5L then this wouldn’t even be a conversation.

As as far as Volvo’s, I love the old ones and have an old Volvo project car I wrench on but I completely lost interest when Volvo went FWD as a brand. Also, resale value is down the tubes.

Quick Reply: Needing to move away from the GS