ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Design Flaws

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 06:31 PM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Design Flaws

Gen 7, as you can imagine, is not a perfect car (only Tesla fanboys think their cars are perfect ). These are some of the design flaws I noticed.
  1. Back up camera- in rain or after rain- compared to Gen 6, it gets dirty easily. Couple of times, I had to get down to wipe the camera clean to see clearly which I never had to do in Gen 6.
  2. 8 Speed gearbox – After coming to a full stop, I don’t think it goes down to 1st or 2nd gear. Many times it is sluggish to start rolling, not even on Eco, but Normal mode.
  3. Mirrors- There is a thin layer of glass which is not part of auto dimming which makes you think that BSM light is on. Again, never had this in Gen 6.
  4. BSM- Lexus took conservative approach on this. In Gen 7, BSM light turn on when another vehicle is much far away at about the same speed as you. Several times, I had to look over the shoulder to make sure there are no other vehicles before changing lanes which defeats the purpose of BSM in my opinion. In Gen 6, I can change lanes blindly (no pun intended ) if BSM light is not on.
I am sure you all noticed few more…keep them coming. Maybe folks from Lexus will read these
Old 12-13-18, 06:38 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,571 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by calgold06
Gen 7, as you can imagine, is not a perfect car (only Tesla fanboys think their cars are perfect ). These are some of the design flaws I noticed.
  1. Back up camera- in rain or after rain- compared to Gen 6, it gets dirty easily. Couple of times, I had to get down to wipe the camera clean to see clearly which I never had to do in Gen 6.
  2. 8 Speed gearbox – After coming to a full stop, I don’t think it goes down to 1st or 2nd gear. Many times it is sluggish to start rolling, not even on Eco, but Normal mode.
  3. Mirrors- There is a thin layer of glass which is not part of auto dimming which makes you think that BSM light is on. Again, never had this in Gen 6.
  4. BSM- Lexus took conservative approach on this. In Gen 7, BSM light turn on when another vehicle is much far away at about the same speed as you. Several times, I had to look over the shoulder to make sure there are no other vehicles before changing lanes which defeats the purpose of BSM in my opinion. In Gen 6, I can change lanes blindly (no pun intended ) if BSM light is not on.
I am sure you all noticed few more…keep them coming. Maybe folks from Lexus will read these
BSM has several sensitivity settings. Perhaps yours is set on the light side.
Old 12-14-18, 09:50 AM
CashGap
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been able to see through the backup camera at all times, but the rear proximity system has asked me to clean the (apparently clean) rear camera a few times already.
Old 12-14-18, 02:12 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 882 Likes on 664 Posts

page 419 of the 2019 ES owner's manual refers to customizing the BSM sensitivity. Chart column "B"
indicates the use of the "meter settings" which is in the instrument cluster and accessed with the steering
wheel controls. Touch the right steering wheel 'menu" button and then the left side of the 4 square rocker
switch. Rock down to meter settings and then BSM. Default is Intermediate and available settings are early,
high and Only when vehicle is detected.
The following users liked this post:
Lexus376 (04-24-20)
Old 12-14-18, 03:41 PM
CashGap
Driver

I waxed the rear camera, that may help it stop getting too dirty for the algorithm to respect.

And I'd prefer if the USB ports linked to the entertainment system were in the center console and could be used with the front lid closed, I'll route it back there soon.

But that's it.

With my is350 f sport, I had a list a mile long by this time so I'm real happy.
Old 12-14-18, 04:58 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
BSM has several sensitivity settings. Perhaps yours is set on the light side.
I also checked the gear position and it definitely goes back to ONE at a full stop. You can do that from the driver info screen by sliding the tach over.
Old 12-14-18, 09:10 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,351 Likes on 697 Posts

I also checked the gear position and it definitely goes back to ONE at a full stop. You can do that from the driver info screen by sliding the tach over.
I wonder if the sluggishness he is feeling is just the car learning his throttle input.

My parents' LS was the same way. When brand new it felt like I had to give 50% throttle for the car to even move. After a few weeks it was much better.
Old 12-15-18, 06:53 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 95bat
I wonder if the sluggishness he is feeling is just the car learning his throttle input.

My parents' LS was the same way. When brand new it felt like I had to give 50% throttle for the car to even move. After a few weeks it was much better.
could be or normal vs sport mode not sure if that makes a difference. I certainly dont notice it and ive only owned it for a week.
Old 12-15-18, 06:56 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5thaccord
I can't believe the type of people that actually have drivers licenses. You never, ever, ever, ever, EVER rely on supplemental safety systems to do your job for you. EVER. You're driving a 2 ton vehicle; you don't abdicate your responsibility to a light in a mirror. They are meant to be AIDS, not to do your actual driving for you. It even says so in the manual. If you can't be bothered to turn your head while driving then you shouldn't be driving. All it will take is one person on a bicycle or a guardrail for you to learn the hard way.

My manual even lists all the cases in which BSM in particular doesn't work, and then it says
The driver is solely responsible for safe driving. Always drive safely, taking care to observe your surroundings. The Blind Spot Monitor is a supplementary system which alerts the driver that a vehicle is present in the blind spot. Do not overly rely on the Blind Spot Monitor. Thesystem cannot judge if it is safe to change lanes, therefore over reliance could causean accident resulting in death or serious injury. According to conditions, the systemmay not function correctly. Therefore the driver’s own visual confirmation of safetyis necessary.
Well said and with mirrors adjusted properly, there's really no blind spot anyway. But agreed with your point. See the light and you know its not safe to change lanes. Dont see the light, use the senses to make sure its clear.
Old 12-15-18, 07:42 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,017 Likes on 695 Posts

I can't believe the type of people that actually have drivers licenses. You never, ever, ever, ever, EVER rely on supplemental safety systems to do your job for you. EVER. You're driving a 2 ton vehicle; you don't abdicate your responsibility to a light in a mirror. They are meant to be AIDS, not to do your actual driving for you. It even says so in the manual. If you can't be bothered to turn your head while driving then you shouldn't be driving. All it will take is one person on a bicycle or a guardrail for you to learn the hard way.

My manual even lists all the cases in which BSM in particular doesn't work, and then it says
The driver is solely responsible for safe driving. Always drive safely, taking care to observe your surroundings. The Blind Spot Monitor is a supplementary system which alerts the driver that a vehicle is present in the blind spot. Do not overly rely on the Blind Spot Monitor. Thesystem cannot judge if it is safe to change lanes, therefore over reliance could causean accident resulting in death or serious injury. According to conditions, the systemmay not function correctly. Therefore the driver’s own visual confirmation of safetyis necessary.
Well said and with mirrors adjusted properly, there's really no blind spot anyway. But agreed with your point. See the light and you know its not safe to change lanes. Dont see the light, use the senses to make sure its clear.
Absolutely. I have to wonder how many accidents are caused by people who think it is sufficient to rely on the blind spot monitor, lane keep assist, all-speed radar cruise control, rear cross traffic alert, etc. and who believe that such safety features are a substitute for what they should be doing to drive safely.

I'll never buy a car again without those safety features, but I consider them to be things that provide an added level of safety to that which comes from my own safe driving practices.
Lexus376 (04-24-20)
Old 12-15-18, 08:23 AM
CashGap
Driver

"Mirrors only say no" is how I teach it, and we can extend that to systems.

BSM can say "Do not change lanes". It cannot say "Change lanes".

Mirrors only say no.
Old 12-15-18, 08:34 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,351 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
Absolutely. I have to wonder how many accidents are caused by people who think it is sufficient to rely on the blind spot monitor, lane keep assist, all-speed radar cruise control, rear cross traffic alert, etc. and who believe that such safety features are a substitute for what they should be doing to drive safely.

I'll never buy a car again without those safety features, but I consider them to be things that provide an added level of safety to that which comes from my own safe driving practices.
I felt the same way, then I bought a Corvette with no BSM lol. Want to talk about really using your mirrors... it's quite a challenge to change lanes in that car! Good thing there isn't much car left behind your head, it's all in front of you for a big V8 lol.
Originally Posted by CashGap
"Mirrors only say no" is how I teach it, and we can extend that to systems.

BSM can say "Do not change lanes". It cannot say "Change lanes".

Mirrors only say no.
<insert joke about "so does my wife">
CashGap (12-16-18)
Old 12-17-18, 05:50 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Well said and with mirrors adjusted properly, there's really no blind spot anyway.
This. I'm amazed at how many people on the road do not have their side rearview mirrors adjusted properly. If you can see the side of your own car, you are duplicating the view you already have in the center rearview, and unnecessarily leaving yourself a big blind spot.
Old 12-17-18, 11:30 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

A Mini Cooper salesman once commented about the difficulty of driving a Mini convertible with top up. The rear window is small and the side views are limited. I suggested that he cant the outside mirrors out 15 degrees. What a difference!

An added bonus of this adjustment is the reduction in headlight glare a two night from trailing cars.
Old 12-18-18, 08:46 AM
calgold06
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't believe the type of people that actually have drivers licenses. All it will take is one person on a bicycle or a guardrail for you to learn the hard way.
I have both mirrors adjusted properly and with BSM, there is no blind spot. As far as, me having driver's license, you may want to reach out to DMV....bicyclists are not allowed on freeways, may be it's different in RI.

Quick Reply: Design Flaws