Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New Rotors & Pads Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 08:49 AM
qbanghost
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rotors & Pads Recommendation

Hi,
I recently replaced my front rotors and pads because they started to make the noise and I don’t like to resurface rotors (personal preference)
However I bought some NAPA rotors which so far are doing the jobs and NO WHERE near as dusty as the F Sport breaks I had before.
I am now thinking about replacing the fronts and rears for some drilled or slotted or combination rotors and pads but have no clue which brand or website to go to. I don’t want to get something cheap where performance isn’t there but also don’t want to get something as overpriced as the F Sport performance package Lexus has for 2800 front and 2400 rear.
Any recommendations will be welcomed. Thank you.
Old 12-11-18, 09:54 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Just get some drilled or slotted rotors from Stoptech and match it with Brembo or akebono pads if you want. rockauto has plenty of options.
The following users liked this post:
itsx (12-11-18)
Old 12-11-18, 12:26 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,076 Likes on 1,567 Posts

Rotors: Stock blanks or high quality aftermarket equivalent.

Pads: Stock F sport pads.

Everything else, short of race pads or hawk track pads or equivalent are going to result in reduced performance. This includes all the ceramic and semi ceramic options.

You get a reduction in dirt and noise and you'll get the corresponding reduction in friction and heat management. Lower performance.

There are no free rides. No free lunches. Nothing comes for free.

The stock F Sport pads are out of Germany and supplied by the same company that's been supplying BMW for decades. It's essentially BMW brakes. As you know, BMW has been known for decades to have the best brakes in the business.

No wonder our brake performance is so good.
luilly3d (09-10-20)
Old 12-11-18, 11:08 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I second what 350phi said

My personal brand preferences are stoptech or centric for rotors, and ebc, or hawks for pads. If you want low dust, akebono seems to be the popular option.

I usually find the part number from somewhere like tirerack, or the manufacturer site, then I just google the part number and see who has it cheaper. I'm glad I could use the honey browser addon for Amazon to see price history and put on a price drop alert if I don't need new parts immediately. I think last time I bought brakes, I ordered from Tirerack, Summit and Amazon. It was kinda weird since I had to wait for 3 different shippers before I could do my brakes but that's the tradeoff for penny pinching.
Old 12-12-18, 07:54 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Rotors: Stock blanks or high quality aftermarket equivalent.

Pads: Stock F sport pads.

Everything else, short of race pads or hawk track pads or equivalent are going to result in reduced performance. This includes all the ceramic and semi ceramic options.

You get a reduction in dirt and noise and you'll get the corresponding reduction in friction and heat management. Lower performance.

There are no free rides. No free lunches. Nothing comes for free.

The stock F Sport pads are out of Germany and supplied by the same company that's been supplying BMW for decades. It's essentially BMW brakes. As you know, BMW has been known for decades to have the best brakes in the business.

No wonder our brake performance is so good.
Brake performance on our cars is not good, it’s OKAY and I’m talking with the oem high friction pads. Don’t know what kind of standards you have d: My G37S brakes WAYYY better and I have Akebono pads on there.
Old 12-13-18, 07:22 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

here we go again with bashing non bmw rotors/pads
Flash5 (12-13-18)
Old 12-17-18, 08:52 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

R1 Concepts.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...rake-pads.html
Old 12-17-18, 08:58 AM
igetit14is
Rookie

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been a huge fan of centric/powerstop for years, I'm the repair business and currently Manage a Big O Tire center, we sell and install a lot of brakes, centric is our biggest seller and akebono and textar in the same conversation depending on the car. I am ordering Centric/Powerstop crossdrilled slotted Cryo treated rotors for mine and will probably go with an Akebono OE formula pad.
Old 12-17-18, 09:24 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by igetit14is
I've been a huge fan of centric/powerstop for years, I'm the repair business and currently Manage a Big O Tire center, we sell and install a lot of brakes, centric is our biggest seller and akebono and textar in the same conversation depending on the car. I am ordering Centric/Powerstop crossdrilled slotted Cryo treated rotors for mine and will probably go with an Akebono OE formula pad.
I'm running those front rotors! I paired them with carbotech bobcat 1521 pads. I love the way they behave when I'm driving spiritedly. No rear rotors unfortunately, I tried buying the rears from tirerack and they sent me the wrong set. Turns out they didn't stock the rears when I got them.
Here's the part numbers if anybody else is interested :

126.44138csl
126.44137csr
126.44189csl
126.44189.csr
igetit14is (12-17-18)
Old 12-24-18, 12:16 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheddy
Looks like you got the Geomet blanks, and which pads? How have they compared with stock?
Old 12-24-18, 12:19 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
As a former BMW owner, I can attest to the massive brake dust issues that afflict them all, and that changing to aftermarket was a great move. Not only was performance equal and brake dust VASTLY diminished to nearly none, they were even the same price as OEM. Pretty sure they were Akebono, too.
Old 12-24-18, 10:59 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by qbanghost
Hi,
I recently replaced my front rotors and pads because they started to make the noise and I don’t like to resurface rotors (personal preference)
However I bought some NAPA rotors which so far are doing the jobs and NO WHERE near as dusty as the F Sport breaks I had before.
I am now thinking about replacing the fronts and rears for some drilled or slotted or combination rotors and pads but have no clue which brand or website to go to. I don’t want to get something cheap where performance isn’t there but also don’t want to get something as overpriced as the F Sport performance package Lexus has for 2800 front and 2400 rear.
Any recommendations will be welcomed. Thank you.
You didn't want something cheap .. but got rotors from NAPA? You would have been much better resurfacing the factory rotors.

StopTech is probably going to be your best bet for a rotor upgrade.