IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 01:06 PM
madchy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default remote starter

Fellas, looking for a good reliable remote start that wont break the bank. I have a 2015 lexus is350f awd. so far i looked at compustar plugin, start it remote, compustar 4900 i think the 907 also.
Was told viper is poo. and avital. I wanted to invest in viper, my last one was no probs.
the cost of the ones quoted was 479$ on the high end. 389$ on the low end. made the appointment to save the time slot, but didnt make the purchase
any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
C

Last edited by madchy; 12-10-18 at 01:08 PM. Reason: left out, make ,model, year
Old 12-10-18, 01:12 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus Enform Remote. Go talk to a dealer. Don’t screw around with after mark alarms and remote starters. It’s not 1995 and a civic. Hell you can’t change the factory radio in these cars, should be a good indication of what adding aftermarket electronics is like.
The following users liked this post:
Break2 (12-25-18)
Old 12-10-18, 01:17 PM
madchy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks D...
Old 12-10-18, 01:19 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

You asked for reliable, that is the answer. Sorry you don’t like it.
Old 12-10-18, 02:47 PM
madchy
Driver School Candidate

didnt say i didnt like it, was being courteous and acknowledging your consideration.
Old 12-10-18, 03:00 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Gotcha. Don’t cut your wiring harness up for remote start. Lexus has an option it’s the reliable one. Those 80 dollar kits are as you said. Poo. Before everything was networked together in a car they worked fine. Now, good luck and god speed. These cars freak out about the wrong bulbs being plugged in. Adding something like that is asking for trouble.
Old 12-10-18, 03:49 PM
AnalogNow
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a compustar with the app and original key fob. Works like a charm only had to cut 2 wires the rest was a harness. Cost me 420$ canadian.
Old 12-11-18, 04:45 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

I have the Dball3, if you search around on the clublexus forum, it may or may not be something you want.

Personally, I've used them in the three Lexus vehicles we've owned thus far and have no complaints, but here is my take.

Advantages:
1. You use your OEM/factory Lexus key fob - I did not need to cut up my harness(es) or heavily splice up any wires, I didn't do the install myself, but watched over the process, he used some connectors that looked like just tapped into parts of the car. I do know this is a completely reversible option/install.
2. It prevents someone from taking your car in the event you remote start your car; if you open the car door while it's doing the remote start, the engine shuts off, there is no override feature for this, it's absolutely mandatory. Some others call this the 'anti-driveaway' feature
3. To a point, it's programmable, on my LS and her IS, we have them set to flash the parking lights and DRL only and remain lit when the remote start is on, then shut off obviously when the car isn't running in the remote-start mode. You can also program run-time on if you want your car to run for 10, 15, 20 or 30 min increments, I have mine at 10; after that, it auto shuts off.
4. From what I remember years ago, having a remote start required a second key or something to make this work. This is absolutely not necessary not needed in this case, even if you had one key in your possession, this would install and work just fine.

Disadvantage:
1. Using the OEM/factory Lexus key fob, you'll be limited to range, I however only use this for the Chicago winters or hot summers, and only start my car from my home's window which is 20 feet from the driveway of where our vehicles are parked, I also personally like the factory look and already have a Compustar on our weekend car the S2000 (it's great by the way, but isn't remote start, just a full proximity/full-loaded alarm system).
2. I personally don't mind this feature, many don't like it due to the fact they'd rather have the car auto-unlock or unlock with your key fob; and once the door is open, you can simply keep driving. But due the the car's security feature/dball security feature of now allowing that to happen, you'd have to RESTART the car every time you open the door in remote-start mode (not trunk). Some people find this a hassle, but for me, it's all but a few seconds.
3. Some cars may not have the ability to program certain lighting functions and some models require a relay. Keep in mind, I said mine is the dball3, there is the dball and the dball2 as well, not sure the difference(s) but I'm assuming it has to do with software or whatever updates. But all models to work with the Lexus vehicles, I can attest to running the original dball on my CT200H back in the day.
Also, I have noticed one thing, if I use my remote to shut off my remote-start early.. when I go back to the car sometimes (usually), my car will not auto unlock with the keyless entry feature, I have to take my keb fob out and "manually" push the unlock button to gain access. Not sure if this is a security feature, but it doesn't bother me much, if anything it would be the thing that I dislike the most about the dball setup if anything.

3 clicks, beep beep beep, lights flash -car will start.
If you want to shut off the car early without going into your car, simply open the door and it will shut down, or do it remotely from the key fob by clicking it three times.

I hope this is some info. The dball3 unit fully installed ran 180 here by a local guy we know. Zero issues since. Feel free to ask if anyone has any questions.
Old 12-11-18, 06:05 AM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you live in Ontario or Quebec then I will definitely suggest Evo start 2. It is so good. I use the phone app to start the car or you can use your factory fob key. It was the best $380 Canadian dollars spent for install and modules. $380 cash. No monthly fees too.
Old 12-11-18, 07:06 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

So the prices people are quoting is the same as five years of factory remote from lexus. Without cutting your harness. I would double check the Lexus App and subscription options.
Old 12-11-18, 11:23 AM
AnalogNow
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
So the prices people are quoting is the same as five years of factory remote from lexus. Without cutting your harness. I would double check the Lexus App and subscription options.
with my compustar module I can remove it and use it on my next car if i want so it comesout more worth it. I pay once to have a car starter for multiple vehicule if I want.
Old 12-11-18, 12:32 PM
wilsoxu
Driver School Candidate

Personally, I opted for the OEM Lexus remote starter (Start+) that cost about $1000CAD. It's got better range than all aftermarket kits and that's why the cost is justified. It's reliable as well because... again, it's a Lexus product.
Old 12-12-18, 08:47 AM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsoxu
Personally, I opted for the OEM Lexus remote starter (Start+) that cost about $1000CAD. It's got better range than all aftermarket kits and that's why the cost is justified. It's reliable as well because... again, it's a Lexus product.
But, you probably have to carry an extra fob key or have a big fat fob key. Evo start 2 is good and reliable too. Plus it is much cheaper.
Old 12-12-18, 11:21 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

There was no remote start option on my IS350 Fsport even with nav and enform option installed. I had to go the route of installing a system that used T taps to my loom which took me 30 minutes to install and it works with my oem lexus key fob.
Old 12-12-18, 01:07 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts

You can also ask the dealership to install remote start from your Lexus key fob. I heard the range isn't the greatest but for me it's fine.. I just bought the Lexus Enform app for these colder months and then I cancel my subscription later on. The install ranges from $300-325 from the dealerships I've asked from.

Quick Reply: remote starter