IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What is this on the rear door?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-18, 08:34 AM
CW32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is this on the rear door?

Is the triangular piece on the rear door normal? It's on both sides so I don't think it's from some type of body repair, but it bugs me and I have no idea why it's there..

Old 12-10-18, 08:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,508 Likes on 1,806 Posts

It's to protect against scrapes, rock chips, etc. Totally normal.
Old 12-10-18, 08:45 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

PAINT PROTECTION FILM* BY 3M™SEE A DEALER FOR PRICINGADD
Genuine Lexus Paint Protection Film by 3M™helps protect paint from debris impact. Created from multiple layers containing UV protection to help prevent yellowing, the paint protection film helps maintain a like-new appearance. Depending on the model, Lexus Paint Protection Film by 3M™ may be applied to certain sections of the hood, front fenders and front bumper
Old 12-10-18, 09:13 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SSworks
PAINT PROTECTION FILM* BY 3M™SEE A DEALER FOR PRICINGADD
Genuine Lexus Paint Protection Film by 3M™helps protect paint from debris impact. Created from multiple layers containing UV protection to help prevent yellowing, the paint protection film helps maintain a like-new appearance. Depending on the model, Lexus Paint Protection Film by 3M™ may be applied to certain sections of the hood, front fenders and front bumper
What you are referring to is the front paint protection film (applied by the dealer). This rocker panel piece is installed by the factory (not a dealer add-on).
Old 12-10-18, 09:16 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
What you are referring to is the front paint protection film (applied by the dealer). This rocker panel piece is installed by the factory (not a dealer add-on).
thanks for that. When I opted for this option it also came on the side mirrors rear door panel (in his pic) and along the door edge.
Old 12-10-18, 09:18 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Correct, the ones on rear rocker panel came directly from Lexus factory not aftermarket add-on. They're there to prevent rock chips due to rear doors with slightly wider profile than normal cars.
Old 12-10-18, 10:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Yup! The nasty triangles with nasty dirt lines I always talk about when I talk about clear bras.

I remove that day 1 on all my Lexuses when I receive them. They look downright ugly and take away from the car.

Even lowered with wide sticky tires, I have no problems with rocks in that area. lexus installs this in an overabundance of caution but i always toss them in the garbage.

I also toss the one applied to the rear bumper by the dealer.
Old 12-10-18, 10:12 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

don’t remove them now, if you do it needs paint correction and lots of goo gone
Old 12-10-18, 10:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Yeah even with my brand new IS, dirt lines were hard to remove. Used turtle wax tar and bug remover. Melts away sticky stuff very effectively. on my CT.. same thing. 2015 model. Just use some scratch x by hand and all is fine. Didn't need it, but just did it out of caution.
Old 12-10-18, 11:28 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

I removed it and use Xpel clear bra, invisible and is the best stuff on the market
Old 12-11-18, 12:46 PM
CW32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Originally Posted by jmull3r
don’t remove them now, if you do it needs paint correction and lots of goo gone
What exactly does 'paint correction' entail? I've never done anything more than a standard wash, so I'd be at a bit of a loss if there was more to be done than clean the area with GooGone or something similar.

Originally Posted by E46CT
Yup! The nasty triangles with nasty dirt lines I always talk about when I talk about clear bras.

I remove that day 1 on all my Lexuses when I receive them. They look downright ugly and take away from the car.

Even lowered with wide sticky tires, I have no problems with rocks in that area. lexus installs this in an overabundance of caution but i always toss them in the garbage.

I also toss the one applied to the rear bumper by the dealer.
Ah, I was wondering why I had a Lexus logo on my bumper! What's the best way to remove these things?
Old 12-11-18, 01:30 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CW32
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

What exactly does 'paint correction' entail? I've never done anything more than a standard wash, so I'd be at a bit of a loss if there was more to be done than clean the area with GooGone or something similar
paint correction is when you use a polisher and remove scratches left over then buff it with a finishing polish, it’s not hard just time consuming and annoying to do
Old 12-13-18, 11:41 AM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I took them off of my car today. It looks soooo much better.
On Ultra White, the dirt lines around it is super visible....and ugly.

Heat gun to soften and remove the film, followed by 3M adhesive remover did the trick.
It took about 10 minutes per door. I left the little strip between the door and the rear wheel opening tho.

Make sure the area under the film get a coat of wax afterwards.
Old 12-13-18, 01:29 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No dirt lines or problems here, mine are on and will stay on. They're there for a reason. E46CT just has too poor of vision to see rock chips that anyone else will see. This guy regularly declares he has NO rock chips on ANY of his cars. I've never had a car that didn't eventually get some sort of rock chip, even the 2013 Mustang I bought brand new and made sure not to tail anyone on the highway. Don't be naive guys!
Old 12-13-18, 01:49 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
No dirt lines or problems here, mine are on and will stay on. They're there for a reason. E46CT just has too poor of vision to see rock chips that anyone else will see. This guy regularly declares he has NO rock chips on ANY of his cars. I've never had a car that didn't eventually get some sort of rock chip, even the 2013 Mustang I bought brand new and made sure not to tail anyone on the highway. Don't be naive guys!
If you don't have dirt lines around your film, then this thread doesn't apply to you.

My car had the dirt lines when it was sitting brand new at the dealership. The moment I got home with the car, I tried to clean the dirt lines, to no avail.
Since then, I've been keeping an eye on that rear door area, and found that it wasn't getting hit by debris, especially after I put mud flaps on.
It was after three months of ownership that I decided to remove the film. I really like the car without.

E46CT didn't say anything about his cars not getting rock chips. He said he wasn't getting rock chips in the area in question.

I've been reading E46CT's posts and comments on posts, here and on other BMW forums.
His experience, and his advice, are gold in my book. And I am no newbie trying to learn new stuff....
I've been a car nut since I was a teenager (now 52).
I know when people are talking out of their a$$, and when they are knowledgeable.

You are entitled to your own opinion. I do suggest, however, that you don't sling crap when people are trying to contribute.

Quick Reply: What is this on the rear door?