IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Weird Ignition Problem (08 is250) HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 01:00 PM
matthewsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Ignition Problem (08 is250) HELP!

got in my car last night to move it, start/stop button doesn't light up, car doesn't start or go into acc mode. Tried resetting ECU by removing battery for ~1 hour, nothing happened, tried jumping it off (twice) nothing happened, tried removing key battery and holding empty shell to push start, nothing happened. I have checked almost every fuse, incl the STOP SW located in the passenger cabin fusebox, the large starter relay infront of the battery and every fuse labeled under ignition throughout the car. ended up having to get it towed this morning and its sitting in my garage until i can take it to get looked at on tuesday, would very much appreciate any help as it is my daily and I have 2 finals on monday..
Old 12-09-18, 06:57 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

You look at the fuseable links under the clear cover in front of the battery?

Does anything come on?
Old 12-09-18, 07:15 PM
matthewsc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
You look at the fuseable links under the clear cover in front of the battery?

Does anything come on?
looked at the fuseable links, looked fine to me. Lights and keyfob work fine, seat positioning, horn all works fine.
Old 12-10-18, 09:49 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Since the push start doesn't even light up. I'm thinking it's a faulty Push Button. Do the car have any codes present?
Old 12-10-18, 10:07 AM
matthewsc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Since the push start doesn't even light up. I'm thinking it's a faulty Push Button. Do the car have any codes present?
put a code reader to it and it won't read anything since it isn't possible to even go into the ON or ACC position
Old 12-10-18, 10:21 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

Do you have any buddies with a 2nd gen? Swapping out the Push Start is pretty easy. Just to check if indeed it's the button.
Old 12-10-18, 07:43 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by matthewsc
looked at the fuseable links, looked fine to me. Lights and keyfob work fine, seat positioning, horn all works fine.
So you were able to track and inspect the Z section of each fuseable link and saw no breaks?

The next best approach would be removing the clear cover and confirm each fuse link conducts energy by placing a test lamp across each. i.e. from negative battery terminal.
Old 03-03-19, 10:04 AM
Appers
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm having the exact same problem.
Old 05-31-19, 09:56 PM
1FlexedLex
Rookie

I just encountered this problem this morning. Drove fine to my destination. 8hrs later i unlocked the car with the key fob as usual. Sat down and went to start the car and nothing. No ON, ACC OR Engine Start. It doesnt even display the message on the cluster instructing you to depress brake peddle to push to start. And the Engine Start stop button itself does not give an Amber or Green Led.
Old 06-22-19, 06:37 PM
Wombat58
Driver School Candidate

I am having similar problems. I replaced the main battery and that still did not fix the problem. The car does start when jumped though. Jumping only works when negative clamp is on a ground to the block. It will not work if hooked to the negative terminal. Could this mean a bad or intermittent ground? I would think that the car would not run at all without ground. Parts store guy thinks it is the starter. I don't feel like throwing parts at it. Anyone come up with a definitive answer?
Old 06-22-19, 07:14 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

^^ bad ground. There are many along the path. Follow the big fat one from the battery to the block. Unbolt, clean and inspect.
Old 06-22-19, 09:21 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wombat58
I am having similar problems. I replaced the main battery and that still did not fix the problem. The car does start when jumped though. Jumping only works when negative clamp is on a ground to the block. It will not work if hooked to the negative terminal. Could this mean a bad or intermittent ground? I would think that the car would not run at all without ground. Parts store guy thinks it is the starter. I don't feel like throwing parts at it. Anyone come up with a definitive answer?
To prove the bad ground:
Engine off; take your jumper cables and connect from clean engine block ground to the negative terminal of the battery. Using high quality cables. See if car starts on its own.

Mind you if the ground is bad the battery may not be charged properly or at all. Charge the battery.
Old 06-22-19, 09:42 PM
peanut220
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this TSB. I have this posted on a thread I made back in 1/2019. While it doesn’t list IS250 at the top it oddly does mention you guys in the middle section about replacing. Check it out. I had this issue wherein my car would crank then start then immediately die. No one could figure it out till I found this TSB. Replaced my push button and poof no problems ever since.

https://f01.justanswer.com/spoooolin...SB-0161-08.pdf

also a link to my thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ent-issue.html
Old 06-23-19, 04:23 AM
Wombat58
Driver School Candidate

My VIN is after the ones listed in the TSB so apparently mine is not related. Thanks for the info though. Besides, when my car is dead there is nothing. No lights, no crank, push button was not lit. I had to release the shifter to put it in neutral and push the car to a parking spot out of the way. What makes me think its the ground is that when I jump it and attach the negative to a grounding post other than the negative terminal on the battery, I can start it. Is that normal?
Old 06-23-19, 06:56 AM
Appers
9th Gear

Hi Wombat,

I finally figured out what the problem was with my car after months of agony.

Just have a check that your carpets aren't damp. Mine had a leak from the heater matrix which was dumping loads of water into the cabin. After great expense of getting an auto electrics expert out to my my car they determined that the ECU couldn't talk to the keyless entry module in the boot (or trunk if you are US). The water in the carpets must be shorting something out somewhere.

After letting the car dry out for a few days hey presto it started as normal. Another guy had a similar problem on another forum, after checking the carpets he found they were damp too. His problem was a leak from the seal around the windscreen. He let his car dry out and then it started no problem.

Worth a try.

Appers

Quick Reply: Weird Ignition Problem (08 is250) HELP!