Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Input please: Mid-size CUV's to consider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 11:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 336 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Input please: Mid-size CUV's to consider?

My mom is looking to replace her 2002 Toyota Highlander which she bought brand new and has driven 175k trouble-free miles. Her main requirements are a quiet ride (extremely important), back up camera, blind spot monitoring, a good warranty, high reliability, good visibility, safe, and needs to be comparable to size of her generation of Highlander. New Highlander feels too big for her. She will most likely buy brand new and will opt for the higher-end option package to get leather and all of the goodies. She most likely would buy a foreign car over domestic. Here's what I have suggested she go look at and test drive - please let me know what models I'm missing or if anyone has any input to add to things I have listed below:

- Kia Sorento
- Subaru Forrester- she just looked at 2019 model earlier this week. She liked it but thought the engine was a bit loud during acceleration.
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Mazda CX-5 (I think the CX-9 would be way too big, but not sure if the CX-5 is too small - don't think Mazda makes an in-between?) I love the interior and exterior styling of these.
- Rav 4 ?? Will this offer a quiet and comfortable ride? I had an Uber in a new Rav4 this week and think the size is perfect. Just not sure how ride quality would be on this as a daily driver.

Appreciate the input.
Old 12-09-18, 12:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I would go RAV4. Hybrid.
Old 12-09-18, 12:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

For long-term ownership (i.e. 10-15 years), only one way to go. Toyota/Lexus with their bullet-proof proven powertrains and electronics.

- 1st pick: 2019 Rav4 is here this month and what I'd buy overall as I like the styling, interior efficiency, and relatively short packaging (180" long). Ride should be nice as per the reviews of cars like the Camry and Avalon on the new new TNGA-K platform though it's still with a 4cyl which will be heard a bit under heavier acceleration.
- 2nd pick: a low-mileage 2015 RX 350 (not the F Sport), sized at 187" (5" shorter than the current RX) or about 3" longer than the '02 Highlander. You'll enjoy the V6 power and a smooth quiet ride.

In your situation, I'd avoid any and all Turbo 4 cyl-equipped CUVs which sadly eliminates many. They will highly likely give you costly trouble between 50k-100k miles or soon after warranty will end. That includes Subaru, Honda (i.e. new CR-V), Kia, Mazda, etc. I wouldn't even recommend the NX 200t/300. It's not a matter of "if" but "when".
Old 12-09-18, 12:42 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
My mom is looking to replace her 2002 Toyota Highlander which she bought brand new and has driven 175k trouble-free miles. Her main requirements are a quiet ride (extremely important), back up camera, blind spot monitoring, a good warranty, high reliability, good visibility, safe, and needs to be comparable to size of her generation of Highlander. New Highlander feels too big for her. She will most likely buy brand new and will opt for the higher-end option package to get leather and all of the goodies. She most likely would buy a foreign car over domestic. Here's what I have suggested she go look at and test drive - please let me know what models I'm missing or if anyone has any input to add to things I have listed below:

- Kia Sorento
- Subaru Forrester- she just looked at 2019 model earlier this week. She liked it but thought the engine was a bit loud during acceleration.
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Mazda CX-5 (I think the CX-9 would be way too big, but not sure if the CX-5 is too small - don't think Mazda makes an in-between?) I love the interior and exterior styling of these.
- Rav 4 ?? Will this offer a quiet and comfortable ride? I had an Uber in a new Rav4 this week and think the size is perfect. Just not sure how ride quality would be on this as a daily driver.

Appreciate the input.
I'd pick Subaru Outback with H6 engine.
Old 12-09-18, 12:49 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
For long-term ownership (i.e. 10-15 years), only one way to go. Toyota/Lexus with their bullet-proof proven powertrains and electronics.

- 1st pick: 2019 Rav4 is here this month and what I'd buy overall as I like the styling, interior efficiency, and relatively short packaging (180" long). Ride should be nice as per the reviews of cars like the Camry and Avalon on the new new TNGA-K platform though it's still with a 4cyl which will be heard a bit under heavier acceleration.
- 2nd pick: a low-mileage 2015 RX 350 (not the F Sport), sized at 187" (5" shorter than the current RX) or about 3" longer than the '02 Highlander. You'll enjoy the V6 power and a smooth quiet ride.

In your situation, I'd avoid any and all Turbo 4 cyl-equipped CUVs which sadly eliminates many. They will highly likely give you costly trouble between 50k-100k miles or soon after warranty will end. That includes Subaru, Honda (i.e. new CR-V), Kia, Mazda, etc. I wouldn't even recommend the NX 200t/300. It's not a matter of "if" but "when".
Interesting about the 2019 Rav4 - wasn't aware of the updated styling, etc. but I just took a look and I like it. Also, the 2015 RX might be an excellent recommendation since she could search for a CPO. She doesn't care for the new RX design but the '15 is a look that she probably would like and it gives her the upgraded ride and feel of a Lexus. Thanks for info on the turbo 4cyl.

Old 12-09-18, 12:52 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Htony
I'd pick Subaru Outback with H6 engine.
I haven't told her to look at that one because I think she needs something where the height of the vehicle is a bit higher than the Outback. Makes it easier for her to get in & out and is something she is very picky about when shopping around.
Old 12-09-18, 05:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Last generation RDX with the 3.5L V6
Old 12-09-18, 06:03 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Honestly, there is alot on the market in this segment today, but for the money, nothing beats a CX-5.
Old 12-09-18, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley

- Kia Sorento
- Hyundai Santa Fe

Appreciate the input.

I'm going to review the new RAV-4 myself very shortly, as soon as it is available here in the D.C. area....in the meantime, there are a number of good reviews available on-line and on YouTube...I especially recommend Alex Dykes and his reviews. The Forester is mostly a good suggestion (superb AWD system and good outward visibility), but may be iffy with the engine reliability. Sorento's a good solid choice..well-screwed together, and the versions with the higher-profile tires are smooth and quiet. I agree with Josh on the CX-5 from a driver-enthusiast standpoint, but I don't think it is quite what your mom would be looking for, and its lack of an engine-temperature gauge (only red/blue warning-lights) to me is annoying. Lexus RX and Buick Enclave would probably have the quietest rides, but both may be too large for her tastes, and the Enclave has not been reliable.
Old 12-10-18, 07:33 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Thanks for the input so far. I watched Alex's review on the CX-5 and the brand new Santa Fe - both of which are very impressive. In addition to those two, I'm going to recommend she look at the Rav4, RDX (one I hadn't thought of), and a 2015 RX. Keep the feedback coming.
Old 12-10-18, 08:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

So many choices, endless videos on them. She'll know as soon as she drives the right one.

About turbos, I think we're well beyond the worries about long term reliability these days. Check out Ford's videos on extreme testing they do for example.

Old 12-10-18, 10:22 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Judging purely by looks, I saw a new Santa Fe on the road and it looked nice. Again, having never owned a Hyundai, but rented many of them, I would consider them.
Old 12-10-18, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So many choices, endless videos on them. She'll know as soon as she drives the right one.

About turbos, I think we're well beyond the worries about long term reliability these days. Check out Ford's videos on extreme testing they do for example.

For the most part, yes. Turbos or not, these are not sports cars. The conservative way that most owners are likely to drive them, combined with advances in turbo durability, and, of course, today's full-synthetic oils, has eliminated many (but not all) of the reliability concerns. Even my non-turbo Lacrosse now uses 5W-30 full-synthetic.
Old 12-10-18, 01:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
For the most part, yes. Turbos or not, these are not sports cars. The conservative way that most owners are likely to drive them, combined with advances in turbo durability, and, of course, today's full-synthetic oils, has eliminated many (but not all) of the reliability concerns. Even my non-turbo Lacrosse now uses 5W-30 full-synthetic.
so what modern turbos do you consider unreliable?
Old 12-10-18, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so what modern turbos do you consider unreliable?
In general, those that are abused, not maintained properly, or don't have the proper type oil in them (for example, people trying to save a buck). But more specifically, at least from some sources I've read, some of the Ford/Lincoln turbos have had premature issues even if properly cared for.

Quick Reply: Input please: Mid-size CUV's to consider?