GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Cost to own GSF

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-18, 09:36 AM
Jmontlou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost to own GSF

So I am curious to know from most of you guys here what the cost to own a gsf is either new or used. I’ve heard some feedback from some owners whether it was the cost of tires every so often, or break pads and rotors. So wanted to see overall the cost to own. Thank you guys in advance.
Old 12-09-18, 10:44 AM
embassured
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll come at your question from a different angle...
The GSF is (much) less expensive to own and operate than most anything surrounding its classification/specification; i.e. high performance 4 door sedan with an MSRP > $+70K. Additionally and based on brand reliability/cost to own, it's the only car in it's segment that I would buy used AND intend to own outside of warranty. It's a bit of unicorn from that perspective.

At this stage in life, I no longer value "nth" degree of max performance at the expense of being tethered to dealer proprietary expertise, down time, and/or what feels like exorbitant prices (OEM or alternatives) for normal wear and tear items; i.e. pads, rotors, scheduled maintenance items, etc.. Cars considered when purchasing the GSF included preowned and varying years of E63, S6, XJR, XFR-S, CTS-V, & M5 all of which can be fantastic used values.

The CTS-V was running a close second and has fairly decent care & feeding costs but I've been down that road with prior generation ownership.

Finally, don't forget to get an insurance quote on your consideration set of vehicles - that's always interesting to understand.

Good luck,
Eric
Old 12-10-18, 06:56 AM
MasterWork
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To be quite honest the cost of ownership is relatively low considering the price tag on the car and the cars its compared to. The germans have ridiculous price tags attached to their services such as brakes and oil changes not to mention they lack in the longevity department. Just for reference here are the OEM list prices of brake components
Front rotors - $249.06
Front pads - $412.01
Rear rotors - $264.90
Rear pads - $622.64

A full oil change kit is well under $100 if you are going to do it yourself.

We all know The "cost of ownership" is also dependent on you, how hard you drive determines how often you change brakes, tires, etc; then comes into play what you use to replace them whether it be OEM or something aftermarket. These cars are fairly good with the cost of things and they will outlast all the competitors.

The most expensive things about these cars are the body parts ie grille, spoiler, headlights, rockers and lets not forget the cost of insurance for some; I was 27 when I purchased my GSF, with a clean driving record and no points I was quoted $483 a month if I was listed as the primary on it, but with my father listed as the primary its $187 a month, mind you this is in the five boroughs of NY.
Old 12-11-18, 05:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I just bought Centric/Stoptech rotors and pads for all four corners from Rock Auto for under $600 including shipping. The only thing that would add significantly to that cost would be the wear sensors, but I plan to change everything out before the sensors get used.

From what I can tell - the front rotors are very close to minimum thickness after replacing the pads one time. The rear rotors and pads are approaching minimum thickness at the same time. The car just went over 40k miles, so it's pretty hard to complain about performance brakes wearing out at this point. I am a little surprised at the rears though. The IS F barely wears rear brakes at all, even on the track. I put 120k miles on my rear rotors and they were still above minimum thickness when I changed them out.
Old 12-12-18, 08:50 AM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Tires will eat you alive. Just went through a weekend from hell and it was not fun (blow out, followed by 11 inches of snow and nobody has that damn tire in stock)
Old 12-12-18, 09:34 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

As others have said, compared to other cars in its class (Luxury Sport Sedan), this car is relatively, inexpensive to maintain. Oh yes, it's bulletproof too compared to its peers.
Old 12-12-18, 09:38 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by texaslexii
Tires will eat you alive. Just went through a weekend from hell and it was not fun (blow out, followed by 11 inches of snow and nobody has that damn tire in stock)
Can you explain why? Looking at my MPSS tires at 16K miles, I'm sure it will run to at least 25K miles which is consistent with my experience on them on a GTR.
Old 12-12-18, 11:54 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by texaslexii
I put Pilot Sport A/S3s on the GS F because they work in snow where the PSS are terrible in anything under 40F. Nothing but front end chatter and traction control lights. I have no practical reason to run summer tires on this car ever. It will never be at the track except to observe the IS F circulating.
Old 12-20-18, 11:46 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i just replaced my first set of tires close to ~34,000 miles... i do mostly highway driving perhaps 75%, i do tend to drive it hard. the fronts still had some life left on them ( I kept one as a back up), im not to sure how the rears were as the 2 days prior i made sure they need to be changed.. I went a head and changed them out as mine is a lease, and didn't want to put on new tires just a few months before the lease ends. (sep 2019).
besides that and routine maintenance (oil changes) i haven't had any other expenses. im due for a service so well see if they tell me i need new brake pads. oh i switched out my wipers.
Old 12-27-18, 10:52 AM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Just got my car back form the 35k service..
I got the following, my lease ends in September (I can drive up to 48,750 miles)

Service guy suggested I replace front pads and rotors...thoughts?

Old 12-28-18, 06:49 AM
usafakid09
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nehal51086
I got the following, my lease ends in September (I can drive up to 48,750 miles)

Either you can do it now, or they can charge you when you turn the lease in. I'd go ahead and do it now so that at lest you can wear them out some.
Old 12-28-18, 07:03 AM
texaslexii
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a full set of pads OE with 4k miles on them for sale, cheap if you're interested. PM me.

tnx
Old 12-28-18, 09:30 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by usafakid09
Either you can do it now, or they can charge you when you turn the lease in. I'd go ahead and do it now so that at lest you can wear them out some.
Wait until the actual lights come up on the dash. And when that happens, you still have plenty of life left in the brake pads. 4mm is actually plenty.

Ask @Lobuxracer, pretty sure he mentioned in another thread that the lights came on his dash for his GSF and he still was able to get something like 5000 more miles out of his brake pads. The lights come on very prematurely and thats by design.
Old 12-28-18, 06:35 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by usafakid09
This was also my initial thought, but was also thinking that there could be a chance of trading car in close to lease end date (another dealer, as of now possibly Jaguar). Not sure if they would be something they check at that time.
Old 12-28-18, 06:45 PM
usafakid09
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This was also my initial thought, but was also thinking that there could be a chance of trading car in close to lease end date (another dealer, as of now possibly Jaguar). Not sure if they would be something they check at that time.
If I was going to trade, wouldn't touch it. They will low ball you on trade anyway. No sense in spending money to never recoup. They will always give you the..."we have to spend $x,000 getting this vehicle ready to sell." no matter if you drove it brand new off the Lexus lot to theirs.
The following users liked this post:
madmantwo (10-11-20)