IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Door side molding

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 04:13 AM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door side molding

Hi, do most of you guys think door side molding is good to install on car or not?
Old 12-08-18, 05:46 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

To help against door dings sure, but I think they look out of place (personal opinion of course).
Old 12-09-18, 07:13 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Burrcold
To help against door dings sure, but I think they look out of place (personal opinion of course).
Yeah it’s just too ugly in my opinion. It would be great to prevent dings if it wasn’t so ugly. To each their own though, some people prefer protection over looks.
Old 12-09-18, 10:40 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My car came with them, no choice, so I guess I'll leave them. But personally, I think the car looks better without them.
Old 12-09-18, 10:43 AM
daays
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
My car came with them, no choice, so I guess I'll leave them. But personally, I think the car looks better without them.
Could you not remove them? Most are stuck on using double sided tape, not sure about how Lexus does it. I've removed them from my previous Forester, using a heat gun and fishing wire. Only issue is if it's been on there for a long time you may have problems with ghosting/fading.
Old 12-09-18, 10:46 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daays
Could you not remove them? Most are stuck on using double sided tape, not sure about how Lexus does it. I've removed them from my previous Forester, using a heat gun and fishing wire. Only issue is if it's been on there for a long time you may have problems with ghosting/fading.
I guess I could, but that's a very big, flat area. Good chance of creating some sort of blemish probably. My car is black too, so they don't really bother me much. I do prefer them off though.
Old 12-09-18, 10:49 AM
daays
Driver School Candidate

I guess I could, but that's a very big, flat area. Good chance of creating some sort of blemish probably. My car is black too, so they don't really bother me much. I do prefer them off though.
Ah yeah, I'd err on the side of caution with a black vehicle. My black GTI scratches so damn easily, even using plastic trim removal tools. The key though if you do decide to do it is using a heat gun to make sure the adhesive is super soft. Hit it with some goo-gone afterwards and I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference. After a good detail it'd look like there wasn't anything there to begin with. Maybe you'll find the motivation one day.
Old 12-09-18, 10:50 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

The car has only 700 miles on it, so I have some time to think about it. lol

It's weird, really, not even sure why the car came with them. It's not part of the F Sport package, I've seen several without it, and if you go to the Lexus website NONE of their pictures are with it (because it's ugly).
Old 12-09-18, 10:52 AM
daays
Driver School Candidate

The car has only 700 miles on it, so I have some time to think about it. lol

It's weird, really, not even sure why the car came with them. It's not part of the F Sport package, I've seen several without it, and if you go to the Lexus website NONE of their pictures are with it (because it's ugly).
Hmmm. Was it a special order that someone backed out of? Interesting. But ****, you've got plenty of time then! At least it's not like 4 years old or something.
Old 12-09-18, 11:17 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Side molding looks awful. If you aren’t confident removing them yourself, a good detailer should be able to remove them and make sure no scratches are left behind.
Old 12-09-18, 02:22 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Honesty with a black IS the side moldings probably don’t look as egregious as they would on another brighter colored IS. Can you upload a pic? It’s probably worth keeping on to prevent dings.
Old 12-09-18, 05:24 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettKA7
Side molding looks awful. If you aren’t confident removing them yourself, a good detailer should be able to remove them and make sure no scratches are left behind.
The side molding looks good. Better than the boring, slab-slided look that curses so many cars, these days.
Old 12-09-18, 05:41 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Pic.
Old 12-09-18, 05:53 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I personally think it's ugly. It takes away from the smooth, clean look of the car but if you already have them on the car then I'd just leave them on.

I had door moldings on my old Corolla and when I removed them using the fishing wire technique with heat gun, everything looked good except for one door. You could definitely tell the difference in the color shade between the exposed paint and the paint under the door molding. I ended up having to repaint that door.
Old 12-09-18, 06:52 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,489 Likes on 1,797 Posts

I drove a 2018 IS with the side molding today, and I honestly didn't like it. But I don't think it would stop me from buying the car if the car already had it installed.

Quick Reply: Door side molding