Please advise on lowering my RC 350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 11:00 AM
Mylex400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please advise on lowering my RC 350 AWD

Hello All,
I got my Vossen VFS10 installed and it looks awsemone except for the excessive wheel well gap in the front. I have the RS-R down Sus T996D spring and ready to have it lowered. This is where I need some advice.

I want to lower just the front so I called two shops.
Both recommend that I lower front and rear because they are unsure of the drivability if I lower just the front. Also both shops recommend an alignment done. Going rate is a little over $1000 lowered/alignment.

What do you think? Will lowering just the front cause any drivability issues? Is alignment needed for about an inch drop? Is the price reasonable?

I tried inserting a picture but nothing happens after I select my pic and click upload.
Thanks.
Old 12-06-18, 04:37 PM
Mylex400
Driver School Candidate

Or can someone direct me to a good DIY lowering? Some guidance. The rear looks fairly easy as the springs and shock are separated.
Old 12-06-18, 05:17 PM
2017FSport
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 111 Posts

lowering just the front won't affect drivability. it may nose dive more on hard braking but that would be about it. back in the day we used to lower only the front of cars to get a raked look out of them. it was big in the 80's early 90's trust me. not so much now though. as for $1000 to install and align, seems about what the dealerships are charging but an independent shop, I don't know. seems a touch high.
Old 12-06-18, 06:37 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got Swift Springs installed and alignment performed for under $500 at a very reputable local shop. Work was done perfectly and the car has been great for the last 12,000 miles. That being said, I would continue to search around for a better price as $1,000 seems like robbery for a job like this.

BTW my car is a RWD, but I can't see an AWD vehicle costing too much more for an alignment.
Old 12-06-18, 07:12 PM
Mylex400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fizik
I got Swift Springs installed and alignment performed for under $500 at a very reputable local shop. Work was done perfectly and the car has been great for the last 12,000 miles. That being said, I would continue to search around for a better price as $1,000 seems like robbery for a job like this.

BTW my car is a RWD, but I can't see an AWD vehicle costing too much more for an alignment.

$500 total is a good deal. I’m leaning towards doing it myself now to save some $. Already spent enough on tint, clear mask, tires and rims within a few weeks.

Been browsing the forum but can’t find any detailed lowering job for the rc. Anyone got any links?
Old 12-07-18, 06:53 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

I have the RSR springs as well. I did the install myself and as long as you are comfortable doing that sort of thing it is not hard. Make sure you rent a set of spring compressors and a control arm separator before getting started. I ended up only putting the front springs on as the rear looked like it would be sitting on the fender if I lowered the back. It closed the front wheel gap and looks pretty even with the rear gap. I have pictures in my build thread. It has been a couple of months now and there are no issues with drivability.
Old 12-07-18, 08:45 AM
Mylex400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
I have the RSR springs as well. I did the install myself and as long as you are comfortable doing that sort of thing it is not hard. Make sure you rent a set of spring compressors and a control arm separator before getting started. I ended up only putting the front springs on as the rear looked like it would be sitting on the fender if I lowered the back. It closed the front wheel gap and looks pretty even with the rear gap. I have pictures in my build thread. It has been a couple of months now and there are no issues with drivability.
Nice looking car! Glad to see that you’re using RSR with 20” rims with no issues. I plan to do the same and just lower the front. I have springs compressor. Just need the control arm separator. Can you give me the brand/part number of the separator that you used? Thanks.
Old 12-07-18, 09:20 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Alignment should be like $120 at most and install about $300 at most.

Install the front and rear.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-07-18, 09:54 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Mylex400

Nice looking car! Glad to see that you’re using RSR with 20” rims with no issues. I plan to do the same and just lower the front. I have springs compressor. Just need the control arm separator. Can you give me the brand/part number of the separator that you used? Thanks.
I can not find the part I bought at Autozone. Ask them for a ball joint separator....it was like $30.
Old 12-07-18, 11:49 AM
Mylex400
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=jonmonkey;10377924]I can not find the part I bought at Autozone. Ask them for a ball joint separator....it was like $30

Thanks.

Just got back for dealer to pick up my license plate. Had them check out ride height as the rear left fender is lower than the rear right by about 1/4” and to program the auto window down with remote keys and windows up and down using the mechanical key.

Service guy guy report that the rear left is lower than rear right about 1/4”. But says it’s within spec so nothing was done to fix it. Said replacing springs will not fix it. Also in his note, he stated he notice after market wheels of wrong size and recommend going to stock.

I don’t know...so going to hold off until this is figured out.
Old 12-09-18, 04:04 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

[QUOTE=Mylex400;10378020]
Originally Posted by jonmonkey
I can not find the part I bought at Autozone. Ask them for a ball joint separator....it was like $30

Thanks.

Just got back for dealer to pick up my license plate. Had them check out ride height as the rear left fender is lower than the rear right by about 1/4” and to program the auto window down with remote keys and windows up and down using the mechanical key.

Service guy guy report that the rear left is lower than rear right about 1/4”. But says it’s within spec so nothing was done to fix it. Said replacing springs will not fix it. Also in his note, he stated he notice after market wheels of wrong size and recommend going to stock.

I don’t know...so going to hold off until this is figured out.
This is normal for most RC an IS models. Unexplainable, but nothing to worry about.
However, $1,000 is definitely something to worry about for an alignment and spring install. I paid a shop less than $300 for springs (all 4 corners) and an alignment.

V.
Old 08-30-22, 04:49 PM
SnowSlider
4th Gear

Default Lowered AWD long term problems

What issues have the other AWD guys ran into after lowering, and what supporting mods did you add or not add?
Old 08-30-22, 06:55 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowSlider
What issues have the other AWD guys ran into after lowering, and what supporting mods did you add or not add?
Issues are being a dumbass.

Last edited by happy1977; 08-30-22 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-30-22, 08:06 PM
SnowSlider
4th Gear

Originally Posted by happy1977
Thank-you this was entirely helpful
Old 09-11-22, 06:12 PM
Thatslowrc
3rd Gear

Default RSR super downs on awd

[QUOTE=jonmonkey;10377742]I have the RSR springs as well. I did the install myself and as long as you are comfortable doing that sort of thing it is not hard. Make sure you rent a set of spring compressors and a control arm separator before getting started. I ended up only putting the front springs on as the rear looked like it would be sitting on the fender if I lowered the back. It closed the front wheel gap and looks pretty even with the rear gap. I have pictures in my build thread. It has been a couple of months now and there are no issues with drivability.[/QUOTE

i recently installed the rsr superdowns on my awd rc350 a day ago, how does it look and do you guys think it’s gonna drop more as it settles or is this gonna be the final ride more

Quick Reply: Please advise on lowering my RC 350 AWD