RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Looking at higher mileage 2013 RX350's

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 07:05 PM
tigabalm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at higher mileage 2013 RX350's

Hey guys, been a while since I posted here. Looking to get another Lexus and hopping over from the 2nd Gen IS forum. So my parents are looking at getting a second car out here in Korea and the market for RX's is quite limited. Right now I'm looking at a 2013 RX350 with 77K on the clock for about 25K. Most of the import cars here are fully loaded and from the looks of it (going to go take a look at it this weekend), its got the Touring Package, as it has the Mark Levinson Sound System, Triple Split Spoke Wheels and Back up cam. It's listed as an "Executive" but don't think that translates to same package/options as stateside.

I've had my IS350 for over 10 years and have loved it, performance and reliability have been great. Hoping to get a similar experience in terms of reliability and "daily driveability" (obviously performance won't compare to my 350).

Side note, I'm also looking at a 2011 Q5 3.0 TDI (significantly cheaper), but that's more for me as I will be driving the car part time when weather keeps my car sidelined. However, parents are worried about maintenance on the Audi. Now, I've owned multiple Audi's in the past (tuned) and have had minimal issues with them, but was pretty handy at working on them so I understand the concern in any case.

Just wondering if you guys had any specific points to look out for when considering higher mileage RX's. Also dumb question, but just have to ask because the Korean used car market is so shady. The AWD versions have the AWD lock button next to the traction control button whereas the FWD's will only have a dummy button/cover, correct?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by tigabalm; 12-05-18 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-06-18, 01:07 PM
Googleplex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My parents bought a 4RX in Seoul, probably best to go to the dealership so at least it is mildly legit. It was like 1.5x the price as stateside, good ol' tariffs. They love it though, like I told them they would.

I'm nervous that the first time they need to do something it will end up being super expensive though. I don't think Korea has a rockauto equivalent, or whether they can buy parts and have them installed by dudes who work on Hyundai's all day. I assume the stealership will be 10x the price for basically the same work.

AWD button will visibly say AWD. But whether they will swap out the buttons on a used RX, who knows.
Old 12-07-18, 10:50 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

Also look for a rx450h. Lower running costs.

10k oil change
brakes and rotors last much longer
no starter motor that will burn out
all built in Japan
Old 12-12-18, 11:19 PM
tigabalm
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Googleplex
My parents bought a 4RX in Seoul, probably best to go to the dealership so at least it is mildly legit. It was like 1.5x the price as stateside, good ol' tariffs. They love it though, like I told them they would.

I'm nervous that the first time they need to do something it will end up being super expensive though. I don't think Korea has a rockauto equivalent, or whether they can buy parts and have them installed by dudes who work on Hyundai's all day. I assume the stealership will be 10x the price for basically the same work.

AWD button will visibly say AWD. But whether they will swap out the buttons on a used RX, who knows.
Yea, work here at the stealership is kinda nuts, but being that my IS 350 is one of very few here, they're really the only people I trust to work on it. Regarding the AWD button, on the 3rd Gen it seems like the AWD button has a logo for the drive axles and "LOCK" written on it. Assuming this is the same thing you were mentioning?

Originally Posted by 703
Also look for a rx450h. Lower running costs.

10k oil change
brakes and rotors last much longer
no starter motor that will burn out
all built in Japan
Ahh cool thanks for the heads up, the 450h does cost a pretty bit more, but if maintenance costs are lower then may have to look into it.

Thanks for the input!