IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tires for 2016 Is350 f sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 07:38 PM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tires for 2016 Is350 f sport

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Bridgestone tires POTENZA RE980AS? I'm looking for new tires and so far it's looking like the dws06 continental but read that they're kinda soft. I was considering the Michelin A/S 3+ but heard that the tire noise was really bad and don't want to deal with that. Any other suggestions please let me know. It's more of a commuter car with mild spirited driving. Thanks!
Old 12-04-18, 09:30 PM
jnesss
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A/S 3+ was standard on my awd. never noticed any tire noise, as the melody of my sub and exhaust filled my cabin rofl.
Old 12-05-18, 07:07 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jnesss
A/S 3+ was standard on my awd. never noticed any tire noise, as the melody of my sub and exhaust filled my cabin rofl.
i haven’t tried these personally, but the PS3+ are highly rated everywhere I’ve looked.

My my last car had Pilot Sport 4 S tires. Those were quiet. The only Bridgestone tires I’ve ever had were by far the noisiest I’ve ever had. Goodyear is on my ****** list because of their defective G159 RV tires that have likely killed several families but they won’t do anything about it; won’t buy tires from them.
Old 12-05-18, 09:39 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazzer96
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone has tried the Bridgestone tires POTENZA RE980AS? I'm looking for new tires and so far it's looking like the dws06 continental but read that they're kinda soft. I was considering the Michelin A/S 3+ but heard that the tire noise was really bad and don't want to deal with that. Any other suggestions please let me know. It's more of a commuter car with mild spirited driving. Thanks!
I have the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 (A/S). I am liking them a lot compared to the old OEM Bridgestones, epsecially in terms of the cornering on dry pavement. Snow performance is pretty good, probably not as good as the DWS06 from what I have heard. The noise isn't bad either - impacts from the road are well-damped. The only issue is that I get a humming sound if I am on a really smooth highway between 70 and 80 MPH. I don't drive highway that often, so it doesn't bother me in particular. Overall I recommend these especially considering they are not the most expensive.
Old 12-05-18, 05:21 PM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jnesss
Lol, that's a good thing i hear it is normally when youre around 70-80 MPH and its kinda like metal clanking sound or something similar to that. That what i remember reading.

Originally Posted by BrettKA7

i haven’t tried these personally, but the PS3+ are highly rated everywhere I’ve looked.

My my last car had Pilot Sport 4 S tires. Those were quiet. The only Bridgestone tires I’ve ever had were by far the noisiest I’ve ever had. Goodyear is on my ****** list because of their defective G159 RV tires that have likely killed several families but they won’t do anything about it; won’t buy tires from them.
Yeah, they are the highest rating and that is why I really want to get them, but I read that on our cars they are really noisy.

Originally Posted by arentz07
I have the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 (A/S). I am liking them a lot compared to the old OEM Bridgestones, epsecially in terms of the cornering on dry pavement. Snow performance is pretty good, probably not as good as the DWS06 from what I have heard. The noise isn't bad either - impacts from the road are well-damped. The only issue is that I get a humming sound if I am on a really smooth highway between 70 and 80 MPH. I don't drive highway that often, so it doesn't bother me in particular. Overall I recommend these especially considering they are not the most expensive.
I was considering that as well as they have those available for a good price near me but, still looking around to be 100% sure since I'm spending 800+ I dont want to cheap out or get tires that are annoying.
Old 12-05-18, 08:07 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I've had one set of the AS3's, and it did get louder as it wore (which would keep me from buying them again), but they were good tires.

I'm on my 3rd set of Conti DW's and I love them. They have all wore fantastic for me, very quiet, great rain traction, good price, nothing bad to say about the 2 fully worn sets I've had.

I haven't had the RE980AS, but I've had many Potenza's in the past that I was impressed with. The S02 on my S2000 was brilliant, and the RE070 on my STi was fantastic as well. They are super high performance tires though, so I'm not sure that helps you much.
Old 12-06-18, 03:13 AM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
I've had one set of the AS3's, and it did get louder as it wore (which would keep me from buying them again), but they were good tires.

I'm on my 3rd set of Conti DW's and I love them. They have all wore fantastic for me, very quiet, great rain traction, good price, nothing bad to say about the 2 fully worn sets I've had.

I haven't had the RE980AS, but I've had many Potenza's in the past that I was impressed with. The S02 on my S2000 was brilliant, and the RE070 on my STi was fantastic as well. They are super high performance tires though, so I'm not sure that helps you much.
Yeah, that is what I hear about the AS3.....How is the tread life on the DWS 06?
Old 12-06-18, 05:23 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Yeah, that is what I hear about the AS3.....How is the tread life on the DWS 06?
The 2 sets I've worn completely out were about 30,000 miles. I'm probably a little more aggressive on tires than most though, with regards to cornering, but I do rotate every oil change.
Old 12-06-18, 08:26 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

If you're in California or other moderate/warm climate, I can't recommend Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s enough. The tread pattern is aggressive and the performance is even more aggressive. And this is coming from a 3x Michelin Pilot Super Sport user. Also used to run canyons and track before.

Plus they're among the best priced tires you can buy AND among the best performing. Don't ruin this car with all seasons if you can avoid it.

FWIW, the Indy 500s are also like glue in the rain... been testing it out yesterday =) car is hard to break free... feels really gummy/sticky.

Old 12-06-18, 08:27 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
If you're in California or other moderate/warm climate, I can't recommend Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s enough.
Agreed, uber fantastic Summer tire!
Old 12-06-18, 12:23 PM
Chazzer96
Driver School Candidate

The 2 sets I've worn completely out were about 30,000 miles. I'm probably a little more aggressive on tires than most though, with regards to cornering, but I do rotate every oil change.
Agreed, uber fantastic Summer tire!
you know what I was looking at tire rack and was thinking of getting summer tires since i do live in cali and it rarely rains. And the first one i saw were those indy 500 and thinking about getting it, but didnt know if anyone actually used them for our cars. Thanks! How many miles have you had the tires for?
Old 12-06-18, 12:32 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

you know what I was looking at tire rack and was thinking of getting summer tires since i do live in cali and it rarely rains. And the first one i saw were those indy 500 and thinking about getting it, but didnt know if anyone actually used them for our cars. Thanks! How many miles have you had the tires for?
I haven't purchased them yet, but I've got several friends with them with various cars. One friend with an M3, another with an S2000, and several in the Muscle Car crowd. They have become quite the go-to tire. The grip is unreasonably good for the TWR, damn near like my 888R! And the price, well, you can damn near buy 2 sets for the price of PS2's!
Old 12-06-18, 12:35 PM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

My friends and I call "all season" tires "no season" tires because we hate them. We use Summer and Winter sets. Having said that, the all season tire is going to be much quieter, and softer ride for sure, as well as quieter in the long run, and give much better rain traction as it starts to wear. So I guess they have their place, especially if you have a great set of wheels that you don't want to be swapping tires on all the time. However, if you have stock wheels, I'd just get another set off of ebay and get a Summer set and Winter set. That's the way I've done it for years with my cars. Hell, I have 6 sets of wheels and tires for the Lotus!
Old 12-06-18, 12:36 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I have maybe 8,000 fronts on the rears and 5,000 on the rears. I'm monitoring for the front inner wear.

It makes sense to use this tire on this car. Best of both worlds in terms of cost and performance. Our cars wear front tires really fast. To spend $350+ on a front pair of michelins doesn't make any sense.
Old 12-06-18, 12:41 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the Indy 500s are a bit on the noisy side compared to the stock summer rubber. But just a bit. Hardly noticeable

And don't be put off by the Firestone name. Firestone is Bridgestone which is the OE supplier.

They are rebranded Bridgestone RE003s which are closely related to the RE-11R

I'd stock up on these tires while you can. something tells me this deal won't be around for much longer. Puzzling as to how they're so cheap. I think my fronts were $93 each.

(Bottom one is RE-11R)
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
Biggeek (09-12-19), Chazzer96 (12-06-18)

Quick Reply: Tires for 2016 Is350 f sport