RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Warranty - 2017 RX350

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 12:57 PM
Jimbo101
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty - 2017 RX350

Hi All, I am a long time reader of this forum and proud owner of a 2017 FSport. I bought the car with approx. 20K kms on it and about 6K kms later I am beginning to notice some odd and unique items occuring with my vehicle. First off some nights while the car is parked and turned off it makes this odd hum sound, its not all the time but some times. Second, the temperature in the car varies greatly, i.e in summer months the settings I select send out the appropriate coolness or heat I am looking for. But in winter months when I I put it on say 17 its like I put it on 30 and I have to put it down to lo to make it feel comfortable. Third, this just happened when I put it in reverse, the camera does not function, I see a black screen on the display. Lastly, this is odd but when I lock the car and walk away it starts up on its own; I read how some ppl have clicked on the lock button 3 times and it automatically started, I don't believe that is the case here. I also don't have many of the problems others have (i.e. vibration issues, gurgling AC sound, loud engine sound, etc.)

All that aside, when I mentioned these items to the dealership they were puzzled but indicated that if the items are not covered under warranty I would be initially charged a diagnostic fee of $166 dollars. I then asked well can you tell me in advance what items are and what items are not covered under warranty to which she replied she could not.

So I am wondering if anyone on this forum is aware of what is covered under warranty?
P.S. I reside in Canada.

Thanks for you help!
Old 12-04-18, 04:38 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo101
So I am wondering if anyone on this forum is aware of what is covered under warranty?
P.S. I reside in Canada.
First and foremost, here’s Lexus’ Canadian Warranty in the flesh:
https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/parts-...hicle-warranty
Old 12-04-18, 05:14 PM
Machine13
Pole Position

Re: Hum sound issue - I believe that's normal operation. It's been discussed in other threads. I forget what causes it exactly but I'm sure other's can chime in.

Re: AC temperature issue - It should be covered under warranty if your AC or heater is not putting out the displayed temperature. I'd guess you'd have to hold, ideally, a laser temperature gun in multiple places to prove how far off the temperature is. I'd not rely on the dealer to go out of their way to do this research for you based solely on your claim. I'd probably end up gauging it myself even if I had to buy my own temperature gun so I'd have the proof to show Lexus.

Re: Backup camera issue - this sounds like it should be covered under warranty. Make sure your backup camera hasn't been clearly tampered with. I also wonder if it could be water/humidity damage somehow on any electrical components or wiring installed from the rear door to the front dashboard.

Re: Keyfob starting car after locking it - this also should be covered under warranty, unless there's some clear evidence of water damage inside the keyfob. It seems the keyfob is malfunctioning or a button sticking.

Finally, if you can get the dealer to agree that not just one, but three of the four issues here that are clearly items that are covered under Lexus' warranty then I'd hope they'd be willing to wave the diagnostics fee prior to taking the car in for servicing. It seems wrong to ask you to pay anything upfront based on the actual warranty issues. They will get paid for their costs under Lexus' warranty if your claims are accepted.

Good luck, but with Lexus, I'd like to think you won't need it.
Old 12-05-18, 09:44 AM
Jimbo101
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Machine13

First and foremost, here’s Lexus’ Canadian Warranty in the flesh:
https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/parts-...hicle-warranty
Thanks...Yeah I saw that but I was hoping for a PDF document that shows exactly what is and what is not covered under warranty.
Old 12-05-18, 10:14 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Thanks...Yeah I saw that but I was hoping for a PDF document that shows exactly what is and what is not covered under warranty.
This web page already gives the answer to this question in the first sentence under coverage. I’ll copy that sentence here:

“Repairs on any original Lexus part of the vehicle that is defective in material or in workmanship under normal use.”

The question is not what parts they will or will not cover, they will cover any part (except for consumables like brakes and tires), if the parts are found defective under the terms spelled out.

You should be asking what is defective, and is there’s any evidence the defective parts were tampered with or abused. If not, they must cover under warranty or they are in breach.

Last edited by Machine13; 12-05-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 05:33 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Hi All, I am a long time reader of this forum and proud owner of a 2017 FSport. I bought the car with approx. 20K kms on it and about 6K kms later I am beginning to notice some odd and unique items occuring with my vehicle. First off some nights while the car is parked and turned off it makes this odd hum sound, its not all the time but some times. Second, the temperature in the car varies greatly, i.e in summer months the settings I select send out the appropriate coolness or heat I am looking for. But in winter months when I I put it on say 17 its like I put it on 30 and I have to put it down to lo to make it feel comfortable. Third, this just happened when I put it in reverse, the camera does not function, I see a black screen on the display. Lastly, this is odd but when I lock the car and walk away it starts up on its own; I read how some ppl have clicked on the lock button 3 times and it automatically started, I don't believe that is the case here. I also don't have many of the problems others have (i.e. vibration issues, gurgling AC sound, loud engine sound, etc.)

All that aside, when I mentioned these items to the dealership they were puzzled but indicated that if the items are not covered under warranty I would be initially charged a diagnostic fee of $166 dollars. I then asked well can you tell me in advance what items are and what items are not covered under warranty to which she replied she could not.

P.S. I reside in Canada.

Thanks for you help!
Jimbo have you read the owner's manual on the operation of the heating/cooling settings? You could find the answer there. I'm saying this as people sometime write here before they read the manual.
The starting on its own, not heard here, is this a US car? Here in Canada we did not have remote starting through enform, you had to have a remote starter installed by the dealer.
As to the black screen when in reverse; I had a black screen upon starting for about 30 min it came to life on its own, but the camera worked. Talked to the dealer and he will replace the board (don't know which one) before the end of warranty, so that should definitely be under warranty, don't let time go by, have them write it up to establish a paper trail so that if it happens once out of warranty you'll have some ammunition for the fight.
Old 12-06-18, 08:09 AM
Jimbo101
Driver School Candidate

I have skimmed the owners manual, but as far as heating goes it was unusual how the car climate control was in the winter compared to the summer months. No this vehicle is not a US vehicle as far as I am aware. I bought it at a Canadian dealership. I should also mention that the dealership previously had a Compustar remote starter installed in the car.

Since posting this thread, my vehicle has gone bananas! I'm getting the following malfunction warnings, BSM, lane departure assist, ICS, headlight malfunction, park assist, and now the panoramic view camera is not working either. Strange.

I have it dropped off at the dealership so I will update the thread as to what they issues were.
Old 12-06-18, 12:05 PM
Cocal
Racer

I have skimmed the owners manual, but as far as heating goes it was unusual how the car climate control was in the winter compared to the summer months. No this vehicle is not a US vehicle as far as I am aware. I bought it at a Canadian dealership. I should also mention that the dealership previously had a Compustar remote starter installed in the car.

Since posting this thread, my vehicle has gone bananas! I'm getting the following malfunction warnings, BSM, lane departure assist, ICS, headlight malfunction, park assist, and now the panoramic view camera is not working either. Strange.

I have it dropped off at the dealership so I will update the thread as to what they issues were.
A lot of people have had problems with aftermarket remote starters, some have had to uninstall them for things to go back to normal. I hope your problem will be resolved. Too many electronics in these cars these days!
Old 12-06-18, 01:07 PM
Jimbo101
Driver School Candidate

So the dealership performed a diagnosis and found that the front camera (on the grill) had a rock chip and shut off resulting in all the sensors shutting off. They state that all sensors work together so because of this camera being out it shuts everything else off. Because it is a rock chip they wont cover it under warranty; I asked why don't they have a better protection for the camera? To which he stated that glass is what lexus uses for their cameras. They stated it will cost $815 to repair. This is frustrating but what can you do.
Old 12-06-18, 04:06 PM
Cocal
Racer

So the dealership performed a diagnosis and found that the front camera (on the grill) had a rock chip and shut off resulting in all the sensors shutting off. They state that all sensors work together so because of this camera being out it shuts everything else off. Because it is a rock chip they wont cover it under warranty; I asked why don't they have a better protection for the camera? To which he stated that glass is what lexus uses for their cameras. They stated it will cost $815 to repair. This is frustrating but what can you do.
Wow Jimbo, what a shot of bad luck! Wouldn't this be covered by your insurance under comprehensive same as a windshield?
Old 12-12-18, 06:36 AM
Jimbo101
Driver School Candidate

Yes it would be covered under insurance, but my deductible is $500 so why bother I guess. Also the Service Advisor was wrong; the camera is not integrated with all the safety sensors. The tech performed an ECU update which corrected the problem on the sensors. Everything works except the camera now and the panoramic feature.
Old 12-12-18, 09:44 AM
Cocal
Racer

Yes it would be covered under insurance, but my deductible is $500 so why bother I guess. Also the Service Advisor was wrong; the camera is not integrated with all the safety sensors. The tech performed an ECU update which corrected the problem on the sensors. Everything works except the camera now and the panoramic feature.
So what are you going to do? Do you have to replace the lens in front and if so how much is that? Yes amazing how a tech doesn't know that the camera is not part of the sensors, I don't have a front camera and I can't see Lexus going through the expense of having 2 separate arrangements.
Old 12-12-18, 08:44 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

A rock chip would tend to cause an optics issue, not an electronic issue. It would just distort the image and corrected by replacing the lens. Unless the rock broke the lens and then broke the imaging sensorbehind it, shorting it. That was some nasty projectile....
Old 12-14-18, 08:58 AM
Jimbo101
Driver School Candidate

Yea I totally agree. I examined it and found that it is cracked through the lens and looks like from the snow here, water got in it and shorted it. It is going to cost $815 to fix, yeah crazy!
I'm going to put ghost armor on that thing when its replaced.

Side question, has anyone installed a dash cam and if so have you used this product to wire it?

https://www.amazon.ca/SHISHUO-Dash-Cam-Hardwire-Kit/dp/B07FD3TTVN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544651464&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=12v+-+5v&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/SHISHUO-Dash-Cam-Hardwire-Kit/dp/B07FD3TTVN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544651464&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=12v+-+5v&psc=1
Old 12-14-18, 09:35 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a dash cam and would recommend blackboxmycar.com. I posted photos on a thread a couple of years ago.

At at first I used a mirror tap cable, but then placed a celllink to power the dash cam when the car is off and not drain the car battery. I used a simple fuse tap and the wiring that came with the dashcam.

Last edited by lexnewbi; 12-14-18 at 09:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Warranty - 2017 RX350