LC Model (2018-present)

How does the LC compare to a 991?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-18, 03:33 PM
edoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the LC compare to a 991?

Hi,

currently I am driving a 991 GTS Targa with 450hp and I am considering to trade for a Lexus LC 500. There aren‘t many LCs around here in Germany and I had only a short time to test out a 500h, which I did not like btw. Even though I like the idea of a hybrid, the engine just had a very weird sound to it at higher speeds.

Basically, I am looking for a daily driver, mainly on German autobahns, with relaxed driving at high speeds (usually between 180km/h and 240km/h). The 991 does a very good job, but sometimes feels just to sporty / firm, too loud and somewhat insecure, when it is raining a lot (which it usually does in Germany).

I would be interested in driving experiences from people, who used to drive other luxurious sports cars prior to a Lexus. How would you rate driving the LC500? Unfortunately, on youtube everybody seems to drive in Sports+, so it is very hard for me to tell how the car would drive e.g. in comfort mode at higher speeds and how the cabin noise would be. I am not looking for a loud car, but a comfortable GT that drives me quietly and fast from A to B

The interior on the 500h seemed very nice, however not as exclusive as some reviewers put it. Compared to a 991 I would consider it on an equal level, since you can pretty much upgrade everything with leather. But compared to a new 8 series or S coupe, the interior seems more basic, or did I miss something?

Thanks for your help!
Old 12-03-18, 04:47 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

The LC is more of a touring GT compared to a 991. I sold my LC 500 for a 991 GT3 with a manual transmission. Both are great cars.
The LC has a more comfortable ride if that's what you're looking for. My GT3 suspension is pretty stiff. The LC is very quiet at high speeds.
My GT3 is loud with IPE headers and exhaust. I had the V8 with performance package, not the hybrid.

Last edited by Craig B; 12-03-18 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 02:47 AM
edoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your answer! I would assume, that the GT3 is even way stiffer than the GTS Beautiful car, btw!

I had a chance to test drive the V8 Version of the LC now - I did like it a lot more than the hybrid version. Still, I would love to see a more innovative engine with the LC, something like a strong plug-in hybrid (comparable to a Panamera Turbo Hybrid) or at least a mild hybrid like the new AMG-Versions of Mercedes.

I really like the design of the LC and switching from the GTS to the LC would save me somewhat around 800 EUR a month. But then again, there are some shortcomings with the LC, I would not expect from a 100.000 EUR+ car:
- Navsystem difficult to operate
- No power trunk
- No soft close doors (once you get used to these, you don't want to miss it
- No front camera / 360 camera

At higher speeds (180km/h+ or 110mph+) the LC felt somewhat 'shaky' on the Autobahn, but maybe I just need to get used to it (with the 991 it took me a long time to get used to higher speeds, but now it feels perfectly controllable). Also, I felt that the engine hood of the LC started shaking at higher speeds - is that normal? All in all, the LC did feel more comfortable than my 991.

For being a luxurious GT, I feel the LC is missing some true innovations, that can be found in similar Mercedes (e.g. massage seats, comfort), Audi or even a Tesla (innovative usability and Nav- / Entertainmentsystems). But then again, the LC is a lot cheaper than comparable Mercedes, Porsche or BMW

So it's a difficult choice I have to make it comes down to the question: do I want to drive a beautiful (and in Germany very exotic) car with a very nice engine and save some money or do I want to go for a more innovative GT with a more modern engine (I8, S560 Coupe, 850, E53)….

What do you think about the LC competitors? From an owners perspective: what do you feel are the shortcomings of the LC?
Old 12-10-18, 05:01 AM
guanche2k9
Advanced

Received 312 Likes on 180 Posts

So far, the LC has been good to me - aside from the few mishaps with the cracking noises in the rear (which I still get from time to time). As for the shortcomings, I do have to agree with you to some extent:

1) Lack of front/360 camera - c'mon LEXUS, at LEAST a FRONT camera please!
2) Infotainment - though after a while, you can get used to it
3) Lack of Android Auto/Apple Carplay integration

Given the competition, I'd make the same decision as I did. I find the LC is a little more sporty than the S Class coupe, and E53 coupe. Definitely a better quality finished vehicle than the Jag F-Type, Corvette, M4 or even AMG C-Class Coupe 63S (I was considering all those).

It really depends for what you look for in a vehicle within those segments.

Also, keep in mind, the LC is quite rare (to see on the road), and has a very distinct design (both inside and out). At this point, I'm just looking forward to personalizing it and making it look my own - still trying to get the final touches on the aftermarket mods!
Old 12-10-18, 07:46 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by edoe
Thanks for your answer! I would assume, that the GT3 is even way stiffer than the GTS Beautiful car, btw!

I had a chance to test drive the V8 Version of the LC now - I did like it a lot more than the hybrid version. Still, I would love to see a more innovative engine with the LC, something like a strong plug-in hybrid (comparable to a Panamera Turbo Hybrid) or at least a mild hybrid like the new AMG-Versions of Mercedes.

I really like the design of the LC and switching from the GTS to the LC would save me somewhat around 800 EUR a month. But then again, there are some shortcomings with the LC, I would not expect from a 100.000 EUR+ car:
- No power trunk

At higher speeds (180km/h+ or 110mph+) the LC felt somewhat 'shaky' on the Autobahn, but maybe I just need to get used to it (with the 991 it took me a long time to get used to higher speeds, but now it feels perfectly controllable). Also, I felt that the engine hood of the LC started shaking at higher speeds - is that normal? All in all, the LC did feel more comfortable than my 991.

For being a luxurious GT, I feel the LC is missing some true innovations, that can be found in similar Mercedes (e.g. massage seats, comfort), Audi or even a Tesla (innovative usability and Nav- / Entertainmentsystems). But then again, the LC is a lot cheaper than comparable Mercedes, Porsche or BMW

So it's a difficult choice I have to make it comes down to the question: do I want to drive a beautiful (and in Germany very exotic) car with a very nice engine and save some money or do I want to go for a more innovative GT with a more modern engine (I8, S560 Coupe, 850, E53)….

What do you think about the LC competitors? From an owners perspective: what do you feel are the shortcomings of the LC?
I agree with your shortcomings.
My Corvette trade in at least had a front camera. IMO the worst shortcoming. I would easily pay another grand for bird's eye view!
Next I'd say the track pad. It is just too hard to get to or adjust the heated and cooled seats. I'd rather have buttons for that.
As far as Nav, I always use my cell phone for that.
CarPlay and Android Auto do nothing for me. I play Pandora through an Aux input as the fidelity is better. One reason I bought the LC was for the Mark Levinson.
The non power and poorly lit trunk is surprising. At least we can take 2 oversized suitcases on a trip. One in the trunk and one in the back seat. Plus some ditty bags scattered here and there.
I wouldn't buy the car if it didn't have at least that amount of storage.

Old 12-10-18, 09:30 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

- No power trunk

Thanks, yes, the GT3 is stiffer than the GTS. I didn't care for the infotainment system on the LC, it was too hard to use in my opinion. I would rather have a touch screen and buttons compared to the touch pad and mouse.
Old 12-18-18, 11:26 PM
psvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

currently I am driving a 991 GTS Targa with 450hp and I am considering to trade for a Lexus LC 500. There aren‘t many LCs around here in Germany and I had only a short time to test out a 500h, which I did not like btw. Even though I like the idea of a hybrid, the engine just had a very weird sound to it at higher speeds.

Basically, I am looking for a daily driver, mainly on German autobahns, with relaxed driving at high speeds (usually between 180km/h and 240km/h). The 991 does a very good job, but sometimes feels just to sporty / firm, too loud and somewhat insecure, when it is raining a lot (which it usually does in Germany).
My aim is to trade up from an LC 500 to a 991 or 992 Targa some day. :-) My criteria was: 4 seats (two child seats in the back), driver-oriented car, comfort over performance, but still good performance when I need it, enough cargo room for a stroller and groceries, and a couple of cup holders for coffee. The LC hits a lot of the right spots, it's a great all round GT / luxury coupe experience, and I find it is truly exotic, if you like people looking at you or stopping to talk to you, which I find happens often with this car, as much as an exotic that costs 3x.

The infotainment isn't great but, you get to used to it once you understand the pointer only has fixed points on the screen rather than being free flowing like a typical trackpad. with that in mind you can just jam the cursor into a direction and memorize where the "fixed points" are to get where you need to go quickly. the stereo is high quality which makes up for the controls. People don't like fussing with the climate controls, but honestly I just turn on concierge mode which is possibly my favourite interior feature, it manages my steering wheel, seat (ventilated or heated), and air preferences perfectly to the temperature that I (or my passenger) wants and I never have to customize anything.

As for driving high speeds, I find the car is very stable at 160km/h but in Canada we really aren't supposed to go over 120 km/h, so I'm not sure about 180-240 km/h. The adaptive cruise control works pretty well for freeway-type situations though it can brake pretty hard when cars change lanes too closely to you.
Old 12-19-18, 06:34 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by psvt
My aim is to trade up from an LC 500 to a 991 or 992 Targa some day. :-) My criteria was: 4 seats (two child seats in the back), driver-oriented car, comfort over performance, but still good performance when I need it, enough cargo room for a stroller and groceries, and a couple of cup holders for coffee. The LC hits a lot of the right spots, it's a great all round GT / luxury coupe experience, and I find it is truly exotic, if you like people looking at you or stopping to talk to you, which I find happens often with this car, as much as an exotic that costs 3x.

The infotainment isn't great but, you get to used to it once you understand the pointer only has fixed points on the screen rather than being free flowing like a typical trackpad. with that in mind you can just jam the cursor into a direction and memorize where the "fixed points" are to get where you need to go quickly. the stereo is high quality which makes up for the controls. People don't like fussing with the climate controls, but honestly I just turn on concierge mode which is possibly my favourite interior feature, it manages my steering wheel, seat (ventilated or heated), and air preferences perfectly to the temperature that I (or my passenger) wants and I never have to customize anything.

As for driving high speeds, I find the car is very stable at 160km/h but in Canada we really aren't supposed to go over 120 km/h, so I'm not sure about 180-240 km/h. The adaptive cruise control works pretty well for freeway-type situations though it can brake pretty hard when cars change lanes too closely to you.
Great points!

Can you help me out here?

I like your track pad idea. Can you expand on it a bit?

And with Concierge, you can set a temp where the seats or steering wheel automatically come on? Auto heat or cooled seats at some set temperature? Leaving out fixed dash buttons for this IMO a great faux pas!

I traded my 2016 Vette for the LC, so I needed the space/ability for the two of us to weekend travel at least. One oversized suitcase fits in the rear seat area, the other in the trunk. Both areas still with some space all around for this and that.

I haven't yet gone fast. In the right place the Vette goes 160+ and very stable.

Old 01-24-19, 10:14 AM
psvt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoonose

Great points!

Can you help me out here?

I like your track pad idea. Can you expand on it a bit?

Sorry for the late response. So the trackpad is predictable once you see it more as a cursor rather than an actual trackpad. First of all in Setup -> General you can turn on Feedback Force which gives you haptic feedback every time you skim across a cursor location. And then it’s just a matter of jamming the highlight in the direction you want while noting the feedback, I’ve found for the common activities like temperature you just remember things like “swipe right feeling 2 bumps and then click”. Anyway that’s mostly how I do it by feel so I barely need to look at the screen for some things I do often.

And with Concierge, you can set a temp where the seats or steering wheel automatically come on? Auto heat or cooled seats at some set temperature? Leaving out fixed dash buttons for this IMO a great faux pas!
Yes with concierge you just set the desired cabin temperature and it will adjust cooling or heated seats with a temperature sensor built into the seat itself to detect how your body is faring. It’s honestly one of my favourite features on any car, ever. Only problem is it sometimes turns off if you manually muck with the climate controls beyond temperature.

I traded my 2016 Vette for the LC, so I needed the space/ability for the two of us to weekend travel at least. One oversized suitcase fits in the rear seat area, the other in the trunk. Both areas still with some space all around for this and that.

I haven't yet gone fast. In the right place the Vette goes 160+ and very stable.
Vette is probably a different league in that regard, but the back seats and truck are a godsend in the LC, for me anyway.
The following users liked this post:
hoonose (01-24-19)
Old 01-25-19, 07:40 AM
SuperGT
Pole Position

Received 148 Likes on 76 Posts

I am in total agreement with psvt's points on usability. I personally like to stuff sport bags on the back seat as they are lighter and easier to handle. Now if you want to talk about useless usability, try an Aventador for a weekend getaway...I have and I use my LC for those kind of trips now.

Last edited by SuperGT; 01-25-19 at 03:37 PM.