GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Very mild tranny slip

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 05:05 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Very mild tranny slip

Whenever my car has been sitting all night and I drive it the next day I get a very mild but noticeable slip on the up shift from either 1-2 or 2-3(can’t tell). This is with normal lower speed driving. It slips once and I never feel it after until the next time the car sits for a long time. I’ve noticed it several times already.

Has anyone experienced this? I have plenty of warranty left and would take it to the dealer but it would be a pain to leave it and see if they can reproduce it..... Car has 17k
Old 12-01-18, 06:25 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought i was the only one or there was something wrong with the car...
Old 12-02-18, 12:54 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 446 Likes on 283 Posts

Either you're low on tranny fluid or time to change it.
Old 12-02-18, 07:23 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I sometimes notice a rough shift... Shifts should be smooth IMO...
Old 12-02-18, 07:41 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by designo
Either you're low on tranny fluid or time to change it.
Is there a dipstick to check that? I thought Lexus had “lifetime fluid” in there. Also car has 17k. Odd that it would need a tranny fluid change....
Old 12-02-18, 07:46 PM
AtomicGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps it's because the transmission hasn't fully warmed up? I'll see mine does the same.

Speaking of transmission issues - I definitely notice a downshift "jerk" from 5 to 3 at times regardless of car temp. Do you also experience the same sensation?
Old 12-02-18, 08:19 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AtomicGSF
Perhaps it's because the transmission hasn't fully warmed up? I'll see mine does the same.

Speaking of transmission issues - I definitely notice a downshift "jerk" from 5 to 3 at times regardless of car temp. Do you also experience the same sensation?
it definitely only slips (once) when the tranny is not warmed up. The only question is whether it’s normal. I’ve never had another auto trans car slip unless there was a tranny or fluid problem.

I havent noticed any any sort of downshift jerk as of yet in my car. It’s pretty good other than the slip and the painfully slow downshift reactions
Old 12-03-18, 05:47 PM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicGSF

YES, I get the downshift "jerk" from 5 to 3 at times regardless of car temp. Dealership says its normal. However, I would like to drive another one to compare. These cars are very rare in Northeast Florida so I'm still waiting on one to show up on the preowned lot so I can drive it. .
Old 12-03-18, 09:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500

Is there a dipstick to check that? I thought Lexus had “lifetime fluid” in there. Also car has 17k. Odd that it would need a tranny fluid change....
There is no dipstick. The level setting procedure is not simple or easy. However, I had "first turn of the day" transmission flare in my IS F that went away when I got the fluid level set correctly. There is a huge thread in the IS F forum about the gearbox and fluid swaps. My IS F gearbox has 160k miles on it and has no issues at all ever since I got the level set properly. I suspect your fluid level is slightly low and causing flare. That is definitely what happens in an IS F with the AA80E Aisin gearbox common to both the IS F and GS F.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (12-04-18)
Old 12-04-18, 07:46 AM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There is no dipstick. The level setting procedure is not simple or easy. However, I had "first turn of the day" transmission flare in my IS F that went away when I got the fluid level set correctly. There is a huge thread in the IS F forum about the gearbox and fluid swaps. My IS F gearbox has 160k miles on it and has no issues at all ever since I got the level set properly. I suspect your fluid level is slightly low and causing flare. That is definitely what happens in an IS F with the AA80E Aisin gearbox common to both the IS F and GS F.
Looks like you’re onto something here. Thanks for this!
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (12-04-18)
Old 12-04-18, 05:29 PM
WaterFish
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Yea i have noticed that after 8000km. But not before...
Old 12-05-18, 08:22 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
what is the procedure for changing the fluid on a gsf?
Old 12-05-18, 08:27 AM
gsfdream
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

My 2016 Gsf does that also from 2-3rd shift only once. I start the car in the garage let it idle for 2 min then drive out of alley dont go above 15mph or above 2nd gear.
then i pull out onto the street and slowly cruise and the 2nd -3rd shift thats when it happens. But idk if i would call it a tranny slip. It almost seems like since the engine and fluid is cold the shift the engine blips the throttle to much. Only does it when the car is cold on the first 2-3 shift of the day. if warm i have no issues.
Old 12-05-18, 01:17 PM
MRonan83
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shenry500
Whenever my car has been sitting all night and I drive it the next day I get a very mild but noticeable slip on the up shift from either 1-2 or 2-3(can’t tell). This is with normal lower speed driving. It slips once and I never feel it after until the next time the car sits for a long time. I’ve noticed it several times already.

Has anyone experienced this? I have plenty of warranty left and would take it to the dealer but it would be a pain to leave it and see if they can reproduce it..... Car has 17k
100% My car does the exact same thing. Only in the morning and only between those first 3 gears. Does it once and then nothing. I'm at 19k miles.
Old 12-05-18, 07:11 PM
shenry500
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gsfdream
My 2016 Gsf does that also from 2-3rd shift only once. I start the car in the garage let it idle for 2 min then drive out of alley dont go above 15mph or above 2nd gear.
then i pull out onto the street and slowly cruise and the 2nd -3rd shift thats when it happens. But idk if i would call it a tranny slip. It almost seems like since the engine and fluid is cold the shift the engine blips the throttle to much. Only does it when the car is cold on the first 2-3 shift of the day. if warm i have no issues.
that is EXACTLY what I experience. I wasn’t sure if it was a warning sign of a potential tranny issue or not because , once again, I’ve never had any car in my past do this when cold

Quick Reply: Very mild tranny slip