ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

2019 ES driver side window area wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 03:29 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2019 ES driver side window area wind noise

Do any of you guys / gals that have purchased a 2019 ES 350 have any issues with wind noise coming from your driver side window? I've been noticing it on mine more than what I would like to hear. The same noise is not noticeable from the passenger side. Will be having them check it at the first service.
The following 3 users liked this post by cstone3636:
BrendaT (02-17-20), jwellens (02-02-20), TwelveBrav (04-25-20)
Old 11-19-18, 07:34 PM
19LexusDad
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No. My ‘19 ES 350 F Sport is very quiet. Actually turned radio off driving to work to see if I could hear any strange noise, wind or rattles. Totally quiet.
Old 11-19-18, 07:44 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Noise is probably caused by the side mirrors. Fold the mirror and see if the noise goes away.
Old 11-19-18, 08:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

is there any chance that you have paint protection film on the car? Specifically, is there paint protection film on the driver's side mirror? If you read threads on various car forums, you will find numerous posts with people who who had loud wind whistles caused by paint protection film on the driver's side outside mirror, and it has happened with a wide variety of vehicle makes and models.

I had the problem with my 2017 ES. It became apparent the first time that I drove the car on the highway. Had I not remembered reading about the experience of others, I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to figure out the source of the wind noise. From what I understand, the angle of the driver's side mirror makes it prone to the noise, but it doesn't ever seem to happen with the passenger side mirror. In any case, when I had the paint protection guy remove the film and reinstall it, the noise magically disappeared. I think it happens when the air flow/wind hits the edge of the film, and just positioning the film in a slightly different manner can make the difference between having the wind noise and not having it.
The following users liked this post:
SoulDivine (04-29-19)
Old 11-20-18, 05:36 AM
SuperMido
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cstone3636
Do any of you guys / gals that have purchased a 2019 ES 350 have any issues with wind noise coming from your driver side window? I've been noticing it on mine more than what I would like to hear. The same noise is not noticeable from the passenger side. Will be having them check it at the first service.
Are your seat heating/cooling fans running on max? Those seem to generate noise that sounds like its wind noise coming from the outside. When in reality they are no where close to the windows.
Old 11-20-18, 12:40 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Originally Posted by john341
Noise is probably caused by the side mirrors. Fold the mirror and see if the noise goes away.
Yep tried this, sound still the same with them in and out. Thanks though
Old 11-20-18, 12:41 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Originally Posted by lesz
is there any chance that you have paint protection film on the car? Specifically, is there paint protection film on the driver's side mirror? If you read threads on various car forums, you will find numerous posts with people who who had loud wind whistles caused by paint protection film on the driver's side outside mirror, and it has happened with a wide variety of vehicle makes and models.

I had the problem with my 2017 ES. It became apparent the first time that I drove the car on the highway. Had I not remembered reading about the experience of others, I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to figure out the source of the wind noise. From what I understand, the angle of the driver's side mirror makes it prone to the noise, but it doesn't ever seem to happen with the passenger side mirror. In any case, when I had the paint protection guy remove the film and reinstall it, the noise magically disappeared. I think it happens when the air flow/wind hits the edge of the film, and just positioning the film in a slightly different manner can make the difference between having the wind noise and not having it.
Yes I do have paint protection applied and have had to have it adjusted in the past on a 2014 I had reference the whistling noise. This is not the same thing but more wind noise like it may be a door seal. I'm still not ruling out that its not the paint film on there though as its for sure a possibility. That will probably be the first place to start I"d say.
herron1 (03-13-19)
Old 11-20-18, 12:42 PM
cstone3636
Driver

Originally Posted by SuperMido
Are your seat heating/cooling fans running on max? Those seem to generate noise that sounds like its wind noise coming from the outside. When in reality they are no where close to the windows.
Fans are not running reference this but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-20-18, 12:53 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by cstone3636
Yes I do have paint protection applied and have had to have it adjusted in the past on a 2014 I had reference the whistling noise. This is not the same thing but more wind noise like it may be a door seal. I'm still not ruling out that its not the paint film on there though as its for sure a possibility. That will probably be the first place to start I"d say.
It is pretty easy to confirm whether the whistle is caused by paint protection film on the mirror or to eliminate that as a possibility.

If the paint protection film is causing the problem, the noise inside the cabin should get louder when you have the window rolled down. Also, if it is caused by the paint protection film, you should be able temporarily to eliminate the noise by rolling down the window and placing your hand in front of the mirror to block the flow of air hitting the mirror.
cstone3636 (11-26-18)
Old 11-26-18, 07:34 PM
Behmann
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind Noise 2019 Es F

Hello, just had into Lexus for same concern today. Wind noise drivers side (wind noise completely quiets upon putting light pressure from inside of window at the upper left corner of window (basically behind drivers ear). Lexus states the noise is normal. They did decibel test and said it fell into normal range, but will not state where the meter was read. They also could not speak to fact that the other three windows did not elicit wind noise. If anyone gets anywhere with this please let me know!
BrendaT (02-17-20)
Old 11-27-18, 02:07 PM
oreokid24
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I too noticed wind noise coming from the drivers side. I thought it was the front windshield top R corner, but couldn't really tell. Have not noticed it in my 2016 ES. I'll check the driver's window and see if pushing on it makes a difference. Definitely noticeable at highway speed.
Old 12-01-18, 04:55 AM
cstone3636
Driver

I got mine in to be checked at Lexus Service on Thursday and basically they haven't sold enough of these yet to know if its a problem. They stated with all the changes they made to the vehicle, etc, yadi, yadi that there may be an issue but its too early to tell yet. They drove mine, drove one they had that was a 2019 and said they sounded similar. Sounding similar doesn't fix the issue. This is my 4th ES and I have a 2014 sitting in the garage as well that doesn't have this much wind noise on the driver side. After wasting my time at the service garage I went to the dealership and test drove another 2019 for myself and it also had wind noise but not what I thought was as loud as mine. It is not the paint protection I can tell as this sound is coming mainly from the driver side upper window area when you get to 60 plus miles per hour. If the new owners of this vehicle experience this and somebody gets it figured out please let us know.
Old 12-02-18, 07:25 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

If you look at the fourth generation LS460 thread you will see that there was a huge issue with wind noise at both front windows. JMCRANEY had a whole fix for it. It might not apply 100% to your situation, but it will give you some ideas.
SoulDivine (04-29-19)
Old 12-02-18, 08:04 AM
jfz219
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

The triangular piece at the front of the side window has a ridge. That was the solution for the wind noise of the LS460. It works very well in my 300h. Note that the 300h models are all assembled in Japan. Are the models with the noise issues domestically assembled? Do the door and window gaskets and side mirrors come from a common source?
Old 12-03-18, 11:38 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

That was one fix that Lexus put in with the 2013 LS. The original problem had to do with that triangular trim not being properly sealed to the door frame. Jim's fix was to take that piece off and glue it back on while sealing various holes through which air was getting into the cabin and creating that wind noise effect.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...iscussion.html

Last edited by nsaldanh; 12-03-18 at 11:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 2019 ES driver side window area wind noise