Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 09:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?

Before you say no let's look at a few scenarios...

if your can knows you ran a red light or stop sign, like not even slowing much...
if your car knows your speed is 50% or more over the speed limit...
if you're parked illegally

personally i think a car SHOULD turn you in for crazy speed. the other scenarios are debatable to me.
Old 11-18-18, 09:47 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Absolutely. Most drivers are entitled morons and shouldnt even be on the road. I welcome speed and red light cameras, and would support automated ticketing.
Old 11-18-18, 10:02 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Slippery slope on steroids, hell no.
Old 11-18-18, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I think that far more important than moving-violation snitchers would be to have alcohol-detectors that can tell when the driver has been drinking and disable the starter and ignition system, preventing the car from being on the road in the first place. There are devices that can do that now, but, as I understand it, they can only be installed by a court-order. I'd like to see them standard....or at least more widespread than they are now. DWI is a serious problem....and too many drivers are able to evade the system and not get caught.
Old 11-18-18, 10:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Before you say no let's look at a few scenarios...

if your can knows you ran a red light or stop sign, like not even slowing much...
if your car knows your speed is 50% or more over the speed limit...
if you're parked illegally

personally i think a car SHOULD turn you in for crazy speed. the other scenarios are debatable to me.
I have no problem with any of this.

I would say limit cars to 70mph or 75.
Old 11-18-18, 11:29 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

I would have no problems with the speeding idea provided the speed limits were set sensibly, the tolerance was reasonable AND it wasn't laughably easy to get a driving license.

To my mind a 65 limit for most freeways is at least 10 to 15 MPH under what would be a reasonable limit. US freeways tend to be long, straight and wide. Perfectly safe at 80/85 or even 90. Provided, of course, drivers don't weave in or out, know that when they merge they must be at sensible speeds, that they must use their signals and that they must follow sensible lane discipline - keep right unless you're passing.

Which is the reason why we also need proper driving tests which don't award driving licenses like participation medals.

Last edited by swajames; 11-18-18 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 01:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that far more important than moving-violation snitchers would be to have alcohol-detectors that can tell when the driver has been drinking and disable the starter and ignition system, preventing the car from being on the road in the first place. There are devices that can do that now, but, as I understand it, they can only be installed by a court-order. I'd like to see them standard....or at least more widespread than they are now. DWI is a serious problem....and too many drivers are able to evade the system and not get caught.
i believe this is the wrong approach. While dwi is terrible, alcohol is not the only cause (pills, pot, etc). Heck, sleep deprivation and of course distracted driving are at least as dangerous. So if the car detected weaving, drifting out of lanes constantly, etc., perhaps the car could emit warnings that if repeatedly ignored would then cause the car to turn you in.

Old 11-18-18, 01:37 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

By all means let's have Big Brother watch over all of us Little Sheep, for our own good.
Old 11-18-18, 01:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Absolutely. Most drivers are entitled morons and shouldnt even be on the road. I welcome speed and red light cameras, and would support automated ticketing.
agree 100% with this!!! most drivers are idiots...!

Old 11-18-18, 03:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

i believe this is the wrong approach. While dwi is terrible, alcohol is not the only cause (pills, pot, etc). Heck, sleep deprivation and of course distracted driving are at least as dangerous. So if the car detected weaving, drifting out of lanes constantly, etc., perhaps the car could emit warnings that if repeatedly ignored would then cause the car to turn you in.

If my car is a snitch I will have it wacked....
Old 11-18-18, 03:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, yes, I fully agree that other drugs are often as bad if not worse than alcohol. It's much harder, though, to detect the use of them inside a vehicle by sensors, because alcohol breath leaves a distinctive smell that is easily detected. Many other drugs don't. Tobacco, of course, does leave a smell, but its use is legal (there is no such thing as a legal tobacco overdose, as long as one is 18 to 21 years old, wherever the state law is). And, while pot also leaves a smell, its use is also either legal or decriminalized in some states, though, unlike tobacco, pot can affect the mind more and actually affect driving.
Old 11-18-18, 04:09 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I would say limit cars to 70mph or 75.
just kill me now if that ever happened
Old 11-18-18, 04:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While you are not wrong in your suggestion, but why should a person who does not drink or does not drink and drive have to pay for such a device? Just drives costs up.
Old 11-18-18, 04:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
but why should a person who does not drink or does not drink and drive have to pay for such a device? Just drives costs up.
Nothing new there. I don't drink myself (been a teetotaler most of my adult life). But, as a society, we're already paying for the huge cost of DWI in taxes, the cost of running prisons for those serving time, lawyer-fees for the court-appointed lawyers who defend those charged, health-insurance and auto-insurance premiums for the treatment of DWI accident-victims and accident repair, funds to support Detox/Alcohol-Rehabilitation programs, the cost of civil-lawsuits and jury-settlements involved, and a number of other problems. As much as we may dislike it, money does not grow on trees, and sometimes one has to take a little from Peter to pay Paul.
Old 11-18-18, 04:23 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Who was it on this forum or elsewhere that said, "Speed doesn't kill. Differences in speed do". Ill only agree to have my car ticket me at 75 if we can also ticket those driving 60 in the fast lane. Many times, I do not want to drive fast and like a maniac, but the frustration from slow drivers driving below the speed limit make me and other fast drivers crazy, hence the fast bursts of speed.

Quick Reply: Would you support some sort of automated ticketing?