RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tire replacement or just wheel alignment is fine

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-18, 09:38 PM
johnpau201
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire replacement or just wheel alignment is fine

Hi,

2013, Rx350 FSport, 55K miles

Currently has the following tires installed:
Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Green X235/55R19
The tires have 4 rings. The outer edge ring has around 20% thread left. All four tires the outer edge has only 20% thread left. The inner 3 rings have around 80% thread left. All four tires are the same pattern and thread life.

It is fine when we drive on a straight road, but sometimes during rainy day or snowy day , while reversing the car or making a big turn, the edges make some of skidding noise.

When I read online it says mostly because of Alignment issue because all 4 tires outer edge ring is worn out.

Question:

1) Do you think I should replace all 4 tires with brand new ones and then get wheel alignment done.

2) Will just wheel alignment be enough in my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-17-18, 10:13 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

This is the order I would choose;

Have the suspension checked. A good alignment shop will always check suspension.
Then get the alignment done.

Salim
Old 11-17-18, 10:15 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Too dangerous!!! Replace the tires now!!!

I would get 4 new similar good quality tires (all season if you have below 40 degrees F with light snow possible OR summer high performance tires). Try to get the "low resistance" / "GreenX" in Michelin brands or whatever designation in other major brands......for better mpg.

If you are in SoCal and don't go to the ski slopes, then high perfermance summer tires is good. But if there is any chance temperature drops to below 40 degrees F, then get all seasons tires (the rubber turns very hard starting at around 40 degrees F and you will not have any traction even if the roads are dry.) . If there are going to be lots of snow, get dedicated snow tires.

After getting new tires, get 4 wheel alignment ASAP. And watch for uneven wear.

We did LIFETIME 4 wheel alignment fir our RX450h at Firestone with a nation wide warranty for life....it was on sale as I recall for around $169. They usually have sales during major holidays...... The going rate for a one time 4 wheel alignment is around $99 to $129 elsewhere. (Lexus dealers in my area charges around $169 as I recall). The one time alignment usually gives you about 60 days of free adjustments if needed.

BTW, these tires on the RX will not last but like 25K miles to 35K miles. The all seasons type will lasts 35+k miles and the summer tires often less than 25k miles.

We replaced with Michilline LTX tires for our RX450h (it had the FSport appearance package with 19 inch wheels)

Originally Posted by johnpau201
Hi,

2013, Rx350 FSport, 55K miles

Currently has the following tires installed:
Michelin Latitude Sport 3 Green X235/55R19
The tires have 4 rings. The outer edge ring has around 20% thread left. All four tires the outer edge has only 20% thread left. The inner 3 rings have around 80% thread left. All four tires are the same pattern and thread life.

It is fine when we drive on a straight road, but sometimes during rainy day or snowy day , while reversing the car or making a big turn, the edges make some of skidding noise.

When I read online it says mostly because of Alignment issue because all 4 tires outer edge ring is worn out.

Question:

1) Do you think I should replace all 4 tires with brand new ones and then get wheel alignment done.

2) Will just wheel alignment be enough in my situation.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-18, 10:50 PM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Latitude Sport 3 is summer tire. Since you live in IL. and the winter is coming, don't you consider using some all season tires?
Old 11-18-18, 05:33 AM
johnpau201
Rookie

We live in Chicago IL.

Which Model in Michellin tires do you rall recommend ?

I was actually planning to get replaced in Costco,but as per the previous post if Firestone has $169 lifetime 4 wheels alignment I would get that.

Old 11-18-18, 06:43 AM
lex_rx
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Would Nokian all-weather be an overkill in Chicago? https://www.nokiantyres.com/all-weat...therproof-suv/

These have been getting good reviews in the forum and elsewhere.
Old 11-18-18, 07:37 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

OP, you have to figure out first WHY your tires wear out at this pattern. Or, you WILL be tossing money at tires till you own the car.
Either your correctable alignment is out of spec, likely toe in or, worse, your camber is out of spec. As then there is no alignment option for that and you must install camber bolts and that's where $70 alignment job turns into $300 in good case.
Do NOT replace tires until you have alignment back to spec.
Also, tires should have never been allowed to get to such pitiful condition. It's lack of rotations.
Also, what is it with obsession with Micheline? Like as if it's the god of tires. I'll put Yokohama over Micheline hands down.
Old 11-18-18, 08:27 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

As has been previously pointed out, suspension component quality and condition plays a major role in tire longevity as does having a proper alignment set-up.

My current favorite bang-for-the-buck SUV/Crossover all-season tire is the General Altimax RT43. A decade ago, it was the Bridgestone Alenza (which I installed on my wife's previous 2004 RX330 AWD). I have had a set of General Altimax RT43 tires on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited AWD for nearly two years now. They are outstanding in the snow, have never hydroplaned in the rain, continue to deliver a quiet and comfortable ride, and come with a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty. Our recently-acquired 2015 RX350 FWD came with a new set of Kumho Eco Solus KL21 tires (size 235/55R19) that are probably going to be rather mediocre in both performance and longevity. Once they wear out, I will install a set of these Generals.
Old 11-18-18, 10:05 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
As has been previously pointed out, suspension component quality and condition plays a major role in tire longevity as does having a proper alignment set-up.

My current favorite bang-for-the-buck SUV/Crossover all-season tire is the General Altimax RT43. A decade ago, it was the Bridgestone Alenza (which I installed on my wife's previous 2004 RX330 AWD). I have had a set of General Altimax RT43 tires on my 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited AWD for nearly two years now. They are outstanding in the snow, have never hydroplaned in the rain, continue to deliver a quiet and comfortable ride, and come with a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty. Our recently-acquired 2015 RX350 FWD came with a new set of Kumho Eco Solus KL21 tires (size 235/55R19) that are probably going to be rather mediocre in both performance and longevity. Once they wear out, I will install a set of these Generals.
my favorite is Michelin Defender LTX. NOT The premier LTX. You give up on dry handling and braking. But it makes up for it in wet and snow. It lasts about 55 to 65k miles with reasonable rotation frequency.
Old 11-18-18, 10:33 AM
johnpau201
Rookie

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
OP, you have to figure out first WHY your tires wear out at this pattern. Or, you WILL be tossing money at tires till you own the car.
Either your correctable alignment is out of spec, likely toe in or, worse, your camber is out of spec. As then there is no alignment option for that and you must install camber bolts and that's where $70 alignment job turns into $300 in good case.
Also, tires should have never been allowed to get to such pitiful condition. It's lack of rotations.
Also, what is it with obsession with Micheline? Like as if it's the god of tires. I'll put Yokohama over Micheline hands down.

I agree with you. That's why my original question was either to fix the alignment first or get the new tires as well.

Lets say I get the alignment first And later they recommend to put new tires. After new tires they recommend to align again.
Instead of doing alignment twice.

If just an alignment will fix my tires, I'm good with that. But since the outer edges are already worn out
I thought of getting new tires + alignment done. And going forward keep looking at the tires and making
sure they are rotated or aligned as and when required.
Old 11-18-18, 10:36 AM
johnpau201
Rookie

The only reason I was going with Costco is because we recently got membership there.
And thought Costco has life time rotation,flat tire repair free for lifetime as long as you own the car,tires and Costco membership.
I'm sure there is a catch with membership.

But if there are other 3rd party tire shops who give the same deal and lifetime flat tire fix and rotation for same price
I can go with any shop, doesn't need to be Costco.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks again.
Old 11-18-18, 11:01 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

We've had Yokohomas in the past. They are ok. We still liked Michelines better.

Most stores will beat Costco's pricing.

Here is Firestone info. I put in a general Chicago's zip code and a 2013 RX350 FSport.... $79 alignment for one time. $199 for LIFETIME. But there is a coupon for $40 OFF Black Friday!!!

So it may be just $39 one time or $159 LIFETIME!!

https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...savings-event/

https://www.firestonecompleteautocar...nment-results/

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-18-18 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-18-18, 11:09 AM
johnpau201
Rookie

Thanks very much LexusRus for the info.

Is the alignment offer below what you mentioned is for 1 tire or all 4 tires ?

$79 alignment for one time. $199 for LIFETIME.
Old 11-18-18, 11:33 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

We did Firestone LIFETIME 4 wheel alignment (where needed and they are able to adjust bc not all suspensions setups are adjustable) for our RX450h and RCF. We tried to do on our LX570, but Firestone was not able to due to the hydraulic up and down Automatic Height Control, AHC, system. As soon as the tech started to adjust, our LX570 started to go up and down. I guess they did not have the right software or did not know how it use? IDK.

But for our RX450h and RCF...... absolutely no issues.

I was told to do the alignment with new tires on. BTW, we got new tires at America's Tires for the RX450h (Michelin Defender LTX) best deal for us including install and reprogramming the TMPS. My RCF was at work at a different location so I ordered online at it's sister's store (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus) , DiscountTires.com. Best price also....better than Costco, better than TireRack.com.

The Firestone stores just could not match the prices on Michelin tires from America's Tire/Discount Tires. The spread was a couple of hundred dollars difference on a set of four!! Firestone did have fair prices on it's Firestone and it's sister brand Bridgestone tires.

Long time ago we used to get tires from Costco. We are still Costco members. Nothing against Costco. It's just they are too busy. Also America's Tire/Discount Tires offer free nail patch repair and air ups, free tire rotations EVEN IF YOU DID NOT BUY FROM THEM!! They always gave me excellent service. This is their NATIONWIDE POLICY.

America's Tire/Discount Tires may have the optional "Road Force Balancing" which I got for my RCF. For the RX350, you may not need this since it's not a "perfermance car". But for smoother ride, you may want to consider. Also there is the up sale for the "LIFETIME balance" which we did not get. Then there is the up sale to completely replace your TMPS which we did not get bc I figure our cars are not that "old yet". Even if the TMPS failed, we'll just replace them at that time which is not that hard for them to do. Just make it clear to them you don't want anything OPTIONAL

https://www.discounttire.com/store-locator

https://www.discounttire.com/promotions

Originally Posted by johnpau201
Thanks very much LexusRus for the info.

Is the alignment offer below what you mentioned is for 1 tire or all 4 tires ?

$79 alignment for one time. $199 for LIFETIME.

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-18-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 09:35 AM
johnpau201
Rookie

Hi Everyone,

I'm the OP for this thread..................................................

I just now took my Lexus Rx350 F sport to Sears auto center for a Wheel Alignment check.

And the results show that it FAILED. So they are recommending to get new tires and then do wheel alignment.

Here are my wheel alignment results

Quick Reply: Tire replacement or just wheel alignment is fine