IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 03:52 PM
BennyISF
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New tires

just placed an order for these tires any comments or opinions? Wanted the continentals but they were back ordered for months from tire rack.
Old 11-15-18, 04:24 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I remember purchasing some Falcons several years ago. Same size and same price point as yours. Right away, I felt the difference. I couldn’t bare the handling and driving downgrade I set the car with. A simple left or right turn will bring the rear end out. During rain, I had to be very, very careful. I will highly recommend you stick to the high performance tires. If you’re on stock wheels between 08-2011 get 245/30 Fronts & 275/35 Rears. Best decision I ever made with MPSS.
Old 11-16-18, 06:07 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe @Weapon F was the first to install these tires on an ISF. He was really pleased with them initially, but hasn't given us an update on them in quite some time.

Last edited by DekNgo; 11-17-18 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-16-18, 06:44 AM
BennyISF
Driver

Originally Posted by DekNgo
I believe @Weapon F was the first to install these tires on an ISF. He was really pleased with them initially, but hasn't given us an update on them is quite some time.
yes that’s why I went ahead and purchased them. My stock tires are almost bald and are summer tires we had some snow yesterday and couldn’t go anywhere lol. Will give a review once installed.
Old 11-17-18, 05:21 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BennyISF

yes that’s why I went ahead and purchased them. My stock tires are almost bald and are summer tires we had some snow yesterday and couldn’t go anywhere lol. Will give a review once installed.
Looking forward to the review. Thanks.
Old 11-17-18, 10:00 PM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BennyISF

I think he bought the gmax RS, I also have these on my car and they are pretty good so far.
Old 11-18-18, 06:12 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joker4096
I think he bought the gmax RS, I also have these on my car and they are pretty good so far.
You're right. @Weapon F bought the RS. I didn't realize that there were two versions. Thanks for the correction.

So @Joker4096 , you have the RS or the AS?
Old 11-18-18, 06:15 AM
Joker4096
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

You're right. @Weapon F bought the RS. I didn't realize that there were two versions. Thanks for the correction.

So @Joker4096 , you have the RS or the AS?
Im sorry I should have been more clear. I have the GMAX RS in 255/35/19 up front and 275/30/19 in the back.
Old 11-19-18, 04:41 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joker4096
Im sorry I should have been more clear. I have the GMAX RS in 255/35/19 up front and 275/30/19 in the back.
No apologies needed.

How many miles have you put on them?
Old 11-19-18, 08:20 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I run the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 wider than stock and they are smooth as butter compared to MPSS. More stable at triple digit speeds and turn in is a tad better. I press the snow button and survive the snow on my summers.

I dont see a reason to run all seasons. Tho they do get squirmy in HEAVY rain sometimes.
Old 11-19-18, 09:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,841 Likes on 1,299 Posts

^^^^You need to read this:

Lou
Old 11-19-18, 09:46 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^You need to read this:

Lou
This. During winter my stock wheels with dws get installed just to sit. I don’t drive it during winter, but I want to protect my more expensive R comps and summer tires from cracking.
Old 11-19-18, 11:31 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I hear you Flowrider but I dont have space nor time nor money to buy extra set of wheels and tires. I have been daily-ing summer tires on my cars for years. If the snow gets bad or temps drop below zero I work from home. I also flip cars before its time to change tires, usually.
Old 11-21-18, 05:30 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
I run the Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 wider than stock and they are smooth as butter compared to MPSS. More stable at triple digit speeds and turn in is a tad better. I press the snow button and survive the snow on my summers.

I dont see a reason to run all seasons. Tho they do get squirmy in HEAVY rain sometimes.
I believe @Weapon F was the first to install these tires on an ISF. He was really pleased with them initially, but hasn't given us an update on them in quite some time.
Hey guys sorry about the delay wanted to live with tires for few months and see how they performed under different weather, roads, breaking, noise, handling etc. Also had cervical fusion of several vertebrae, slip disks and herniated disk of my lumbar and hip issue had accident at work cant discuss .Let just say my car is in better shape than I am �� lol. Because of these physical issues I have not been driving car much most time driven by bother or friends thats why it takes me a long time to do review. Also HAD to modify my suspension but that's a whole other thread.

Here repost of I did for a CL member asking questions about GMAX RS

The reason I went with Gmax was couldn't get the Firehawk Indy 500 anywhere at the time they were completely sold out no matter where I looked. I was talking to one of the tirerack reps when he recommended this tire to me he had told me that they had recently went on a track Day event for tirerack and this is one of the tires that they were using that day. One of the things he told me was that everyone seem to really like the tire that it was comprable to Firehawk and it had a 45-day trial. If you didn't like them you can send them back. I called tirerack the next day spoke to a different rep ask him about the gmax and his experience he basically told me the same thing great Tire excellent in the wet very good in the dry. One of the things I did find out online was that it had one second place for best new tire at Sema 2017 behind all terrain tire. They will come be oem tires for 715hp Roush Mustang.
Here are three reviews if you haven't seen them yet. The Firehawk indy 500 is great tire i i don't see much of difference with these two other than Firehawk may have bit better grip in dry but Gmax has better grip in wet and higher wear capability it's basically a 50000 mile Tire which is crazy for high-performance summer Tire. Since you're in California rain isn't that big of an issue for you as it is for me here being in New York where it rains a whole lot LOL.

https://www.sema.org/news/2017/10/31...-award-winners

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gene...ires-are-made/

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...s-to-the-test/

Its excellent in the rain very good in the dry you're getting an a rated A quality tire but paying B rated tire price. There relatively quiet extremely compliant over rough roads potholes Expansion Joints things of that nature very good ride quality.
They have AA Traction rating highest you can get, W speed rating 168mph thats higher than toyo R888 They are 360 wear which means 60000 miles that crazy high for UHP summer tire and A temperature rating once again the highest rating you can get. On scale of 1 to 10
10 being best like Michelin PS4 I rate them 8.5 to 9 similar to the old Michelin PSS. But half price. These and Firehawk Indy 500 are both great tires for price. There are a few tires that have better dry grip such as of PS4s and a few others. But for price and what you get they are bargin. If your looking for ultimate in Traction then PS4 are still great in that depart but these are not to far behind.

I have the them in 255 /35/19F they did not rub stock and with 1in drop in front same goes for 275/35/19R. No issues usless your really lowered.

One last thing Gmax RS are 4lbs lighter than Firehawk 500. I fell firehawk have just bit more dry traction but Gmax are very close and way better in wet in hands down. Long life, more comfortable compliant quieter Tire.

I may just post this up as thread your third person this month asking about them.

SO if you're looking for a great handling responsive tire that is phenomenal in the rain great in the dry not noisy compliance ride and won't break the bank these are great alternative are they as good as Michelin PS4s no are they pretty close yes.

The Weapon F

Last edited by Weapon F; 11-21-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 08:15 PM
BennyISF
Driver

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Hey guys sorry about the delay wanted to live with tires for few months and see how they performed under different weather, roads, breaking, noise, handling etc. Also had cervical fusion of several vertebrae, slip disks and herniated disk of my lumbar and hip issue had accident at work cant discuss .Let just say my car is in better shape than I am �� lol. Because of these physical issues I have not been driving car much most time driven by bother or friends thats why it takes me a long time to do review. Also HAD to modify my suspension but that's a whole other thread.

Here repost of I did for a CL member asking questions about GMAX RS

The reason I went with Gmax was couldn't get the Firehawk Indy 500 anywhere at the time they were completely sold out no matter where I looked. I was talking to one of the tirerack reps when he recommended this tire to me he had told me that they had recently went on a track Day event for tirerack and this is one of the tires that they were using that day. One of the things he told me was that everyone seem to really like the tire that it was comprable to Firehawk and it had a 45-day trial. If you didn't like them you can send them back. I called tirerack the next day spoke to a different rep ask him about the gmax and his experience he basically told me the same thing great Tire excellent in the wet very good in the dry. One of the things I did find out online was that it had one second place for best new tire at Sema 2017 behind all terrain tire. They will come be oem tires for 715hp Roush Mustang.
Here are three reviews if you haven't seen them yet. The Firehawk indy 500 is great tire i i don't see much of difference with these two other than Firehawk may have bit better grip in dry but Gmax has better grip in wet and higher wear capability it's basically a 50000 mile Tire which is crazy for high-performance summer Tire. Since you're in California rain isn't that big of an issue for you as it is for me here being in New York where it rains a whole lot LOL.

https://www.sema.org/news/2017/10/31...-award-winners

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gene...ires-are-made/

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/p...s-to-the-test/

Its excellent in the rain very good in the dry you're getting an a rated A quality tire but paying B rated tire price. There relatively quiet extremely compliant over rough roads potholes Expansion Joints things of that nature very good ride quality.
They have AA Traction rating highest you can get, W speed rating 168mph thats higher than toyo R888 They are 360 wear which means 60000 miles that crazy high for UHP summer tire and A temperature rating once again the highest rating you can get. On scale of 1 to 10
10 being best like Michelin PS4 I rate them 8.5 to 9 similar to the old Michelin PSS. But half price. These and Firehawk Indy 500 are both great tires for price. There are a few tires that have better dry grip such as of PS4s and a few others. But for price and what you get they are bargin. If your looking for ultimate in Traction then PS4 are still great in that depart but these are not to far behind.

I have the them in 255 /35/19F they did not rub stock and with 1in drop in front same goes for 275/35/19R. No issues usless your really lowered.

One last thing Gmax RS are 4lbs lighter than Firehawk 500. I fell firehawk have just bit more dry traction but Gmax are very close and way better in wet in hands down. Long life, more comfortable compliant quieter Tire.

I may just post this up as thread your third person this month asking about them.

SO if you're looking for a great handling responsive tire that is phenomenal in the rain great in the dry not noisy compliance ride and won't break the bank these are great alternative are they as good as Michelin PS4s no are they pretty close yes.

The Weapon F
love the review I just got my General G-Max AS-05 today and will install them on Saturday.

Quick Reply: New tires