Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Transmission in RX vs. RX hybrid CVT - Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 03:16 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Transmission in RX vs. RX hybrid CVT - Hesitation

Really puzzled by those who have the hybrid with the CVT and how they say it takes all the issues away seen with the 8 speed auto. Test drove a 450hL and the hesitation was even more pronounced when moving from a stoplight as the auto start/stop for the electric motor took just as long to kick in as my 2017 RX that exhibits the hesitation issue. I will say the CVT is definitely smoother and there is no hard downshifting like my RX has. That being said, I was considering moving to the L for the extra space and the second row captains chairs, but wanted the luxury package and it's only available on the hybrid L, which makes no sense what so ever.... Just don't think the hybrid truly solves the hesitation problem.
Old 11-15-18, 05:06 PM
mspearl95
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
Really puzzled by those who have the hybrid with the CVT and how they say it takes all the issues away seen with the 8 speed auto. Test drove a 450hL and the hesitation was even more pronounced when moving from a stoplight as the auto start/stop for the electric motor took just as long to kick in as my 2017 RX that exhibits the hesitation issue. I will say the CVT is definitely smoother and there is no hard downshifting like my RX has. That being said, I was considering moving to the L for the extra space and the second row captains chairs, but wanted the luxury package and it's only available on the hybrid L, which makes no sense what so ever.... Just don't think the hybrid truly solves the hesitation problem.
​​​​​​
dunno, i've always liked the quickness of the hybrid as it takes off from a stop. pretty much instant throttle response.
Old 11-15-18, 06:42 PM
elimmigran
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mspearl95
​​​​​​
dunno, i've always liked the quickness of the hybrid as it takes off from a stop. pretty much instant throttle response.
this. Add the Apexi TC and it’s very fun!
Old 11-16-18, 10:43 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Think I figured it out... the RXh I drove had 2 miles on it and I believe the battery was not charged. When I tried EV mode it kept telling me EV mode is unavailable. Going to try a different RXh....
Old 11-16-18, 05:11 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
This is my first hybrid and I don't experience what I would consider hesitation. I have a 450hl and am quite pleased. In regards to your comment about the second row bucket seats, they are useless for an adult. Shoehorn your passengers in and go no further than 5 miles. And since they didn't stretch the wheelbase, ingress and egress can be a bit of a flexibility exercise. Buy it for the extra room (however slight) not for carrying anyone over the age of 10.
Old 11-18-18, 07:45 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Donno about the new toys, but on my 07 TCH and 12 HiHy, I spun tires from the stop, if I wanted to. No hesitation. Besides, Hybrid drive always gets same amount of power as hybrid battery never falls below the useful charge limit. So if it was at 8 full bars or two bars - is irrelevant. It simply takes off in ICE mode. Which that V6 has plenty of power to move the car.
Ha ha. I had 6 adults and their full luggage in my HiHy Limited with thrid row and we drove comfortable way more than 5 miles to airport. That's power of utility vehicle vs luxury toy.
Old 11-18-18, 07:38 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Jugdish, just drive the RXh around for five minutes to charge up the traction battery.

The hybrid RX is not an "electric" car, and the EV mode is a marketing gimmick, in my view. You don't use it to drive around for 20 miles like you might in a plug-in hybrid such as the Volt.

Instead, think of the RXh as an ICE-powered car that shuts the ICE down when it would be running inefficiently (i.e. high manifold vacuum) and fills in temporarily with two electric motors and a very modestly-sized battery pack. Plus, the RXh engine is not the usual kind but rather an "Atkinson" engine, which means it gets substantially-better efficiency but necessarily suffers from slightly-reduced torque. So the electric motors can also fill in when low-speed torque is needed, such as starting up from a stoplight.

A better test of throttle response might be, say, flooring the accelerator to go from 40 to 60 as if you were passing a car. The car then uses all the power of the ICE and the electric motors for a total of about 300hp (at least that's what my 2010 RX450h specs say). Add in the pleasure of the lack of any downshifting jerkiness and the effect is quite entertaining.

In my view, a great overall design. I can easily get mileage in the high-20s for both city and highway driving once the ICE has warmed up.
Old 12-13-18, 07:19 AM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Donno about the new toys, but on my 07 TCH and 12 HiHy, I spun tires from the stop, if I wanted to. No hesitation. Besides, Hybrid drive always gets same amount of power as hybrid battery never falls below the useful charge limit. So if it was at 8 full bars or two bars - is irrelevant. It simply takes off in ICE mode. Which that V6 has plenty of power to move the car.
Ha ha. I had 6 adults and their full luggage in my HiHy Limited with thrid row and we drove comfortable way more than 5 miles to airport. That's power of utility vehicle vs luxury toy.
If a 12 HiHy is a Highlander, it is 192 inches long vs an RHL, which is 196. I do agree the third row is for show, but you do get more cargo space.than an RXH
Old 12-13-18, 05:11 PM
wktjr
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Jugdish, just drive the RXh around for five minutes to charge up the traction battery.

The hybrid RX is not an "electric" car, and the EV mode is a marketing gimmick, in my view. You don't use it to drive around for 20 miles like you might in a plug-in hybrid such as the Volt.

Instead, think of the RXh as an ICE-powered car that shuts the ICE down when it would be running inefficiently (i.e. high manifold vacuum) and fills in temporarily with two electric motors and a very modestly-sized battery pack. Plus, the RXh engine is not the usual kind but rather an "Atkinson" engine, which means it gets substantially-better efficiency but necessarily suffers from slightly-reduced torque. So the electric motors can also fill in when low-speed torque is needed, such as starting up from a stoplight.

A better test of throttle response might be, say, flooring the accelerator to go from 40 to 60 as if you were passing a car. The car then uses all the power of the ICE and the electric motors for a total of about 300hp (at least that's what my 2010 RX450h specs say). Add in the pleasure of the lack of any downshifting jerkiness and the effect is quite entertaining.

In my view, a great overall design. I can easily get mileage in the high-20s for both city and highway driving once the ICE has warmed up.
Unfortunately, the "L" versions are an example of trying to get something to the market while you can. It's a 6 seater designed for 4 (or 5). The next gen should be real nice since it will be designed for 3 rows from the beginning. Nothing is going to beat a minivan for space but I bought an "L" for the additional, albeit minimum, room. I was looking hard at MDX's but hybrids were few and my wife wanted to drive one before committing. Toyota's makes the best hybrid's IMO and I'm sure it'll last many trouble-free miles.