ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Mark Levinson painful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 02:03 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mark Levinson painful?

Got my 2019 ES F-Sport with Mark Levinson. I've noticed that when I turn the volume up loud enough to enjoy (around 30-35) it causes ear pain and headache. The feeling is like when you put your ear directly up to a speaker. However, putting the volume at 25 or so is not loud enough to enjoy. As I type this I understand it may not make sense, but I'm pretty experienced with car stereo. In my last Acura TL with ELS audio I could blare the volume at max with no problems. Anyone else have this issue with Mark Levinson?
Old 11-12-18, 04:48 PM
RAIES911
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's weird! I also have Mark levinson and I'm really happy with it, the sound is very clear even when I put the volume on 55

Maybe you need to lower the bass?!
Old 11-12-18, 04:51 PM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Is the EQ maxed out?
Old 11-12-18, 05:24 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

What's the source of your music?
Old 11-12-18, 05:36 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

All standard settings. Using USB with CarPlay and Apple Music. The sound is super clear but oddly painful to my ears at higher volumes. I seem to be the only one.
Old 11-13-18, 09:23 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jshap4321
Got my 2019 ES F-Sport with Mark Levinson. I've noticed that when I turn the volume up loud enough to enjoy (around 30-35) it causes ear pain and headache. The feeling is like when you put your ear directly up to a speaker. However, putting the volume at 25 or so is not loud enough to enjoy. As I type this I understand it may not make sense, but I'm pretty experienced with car stereo. In my last Acura TL with ELS audio I could blare the volume at max with no problems. Anyone else have this issue with Mark Levinson?
Maybe you are just getting old.

I used to love rollercoasters until my body told me no more.
Old 11-13-18, 12:09 PM
wing
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up one of these yesterday for review and noticed it really sounds like the sound is coming too much from the left, despite the balance being centered. I'm surprised as I was expecting a better system, I tried changing all sorts of settings and can't get it right.
Old 11-13-18, 01:00 PM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Agreed. I had the same observation with the sound coming from the left. I think the ML system is somewhat of a gimmick altogether. The whole "purist" / "orchestra" ideology has resulted in an overrated and highly unusual sound system. My previous Acura's ELS sound (Panasonic) was incredible... This is not rocket science. Very disappointed with ML.
Old 11-13-18, 03:51 PM
wing
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. I had the same observation with the sound coming from the left. I think the ML system is somewhat of a gimmick altogether. The whole "purist" / "orchestra" ideology has resulted in an overrated and highly unusual sound system. My previous Acura's ELS sound (Panasonic) was incredible... This is not rocket science. Very disappointed with ML.
Well I have the ML system in my LX570 and in my ISF and it did not do this. So something is odd, it's not really a gimmick as it sounds incredible in those vehicles...
Old 11-13-18, 06:28 PM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,210 Likes on 631 Posts

Bass typically won't hurt ears unless it's extremely loud. My living room subs can make people's ears hurt, but it takes two 18" subwoofers with 4,000 watts And I'm adding two more with 4,000 more watts soon! Tbe little 10.5" sub in the ES isn't going to pressurize the cabin enough to hurt your ears.
Play with the EQ a bit... I'd try turning down the treble first. Sometimes the highs can cause fatigue, making your ears hurt. When I test drove the '19 ES 350 I noticed more of a presence in the upper end than my '13 GS and our '16 RX has (all ML systems). I'm sensitive to higher frequencies, I definitely prefer a mellow tweeter. Maybe the ES went with a metal dome tweeter. The JBL system in the Avalon is using a horn style tweeter, haven't seen those in cars in ages!
Old 11-13-18, 07:40 PM
jimv1983
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Before I ordered my car I listened to both the standard and ML sound systems. I didn't have any problem with pain at all.

I tested with music from my phone over Bluetooth and XM. To me the ML system did sound noticably better than the standard system but not massive. Where I noticed the biggest difference was actually with XM which was FAR better on the ML system. I have read that the ML system has processing that helps lower quality compresses music sound better and it absolutely works.

https://news.harman.com/releases/harman-enhances-clari-fi-for-an-improved-music-listening-experience

Since I do listen to a lot of XM it was well work the extra $1080.

February/March can't come soon enough.
Old 11-14-18, 09:56 AM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wing
Well I have the ML system in my LX570 and in my ISF and it did not do this. So something is odd, it's not really a gimmick as it sounds incredible in those vehicles...
They try to design it like there’s an orchestra in the center of your dashboard. Why? This results in such uneven sound in each ear. So far I’m finding it unlistenable. I hope this is just an adjustment period or else I’m going to need to use headphones in lieu of the $3k system.

Also, each ML is designed differently for each car, so my ES system may be very different from your systems.
Old 11-14-18, 10:55 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

They try to design it like there’s an orchestra in the center of your dashboard. Why? This results in such uneven sound in each ear. So far I’m finding it unlistenable. I hope this is just an adjustment period or else I’m going to need to use headphones in lieu of the $3k system.

Also, each ML is designed differently for each car, so my ES system may be very different from your systems.
I have the last get ES with ML. The biggest improvement, besides ditching SXM, was turning off the DSP surround. Have you done that?
Old 11-14-18, 11:51 AM
jshap4321
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I've tried that and it doesn't make a big difference. I've seen in other threads that TONS of people are finding this unbalanced (front and center) sound annoying. I find it unlistenable. One of the best parts of car audio is to have perfectly balanced sound coming from all directions. ML sounds like I have one small speaker glued to the front/center of the dash. The music enters my right ear far more than my left. And to think this is the "upgrade" from a luxury brand. What a major disappointment. I can't think of anyone who would prefer to have all the sound come from the front/center dash unless they were sold by the marketing gimmick. Newsflash: the reason the sound of an orchestra comes from the front is because they're not going to set up a circle of instruments around a massive auditorium. This is a car! To mimic the positioning of a live concert in a car is a marketing gimmick created by someone who was trying too hard to out-think the room. I wish I did more research instead of putting my trust in Lexus.
Old 11-14-18, 12:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Are you sure the surround is turned off? What you describe is exactly how the ML in my LS sounds if I have surround turned on...

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson painful?