GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

SAIS Bypass Installed but I still throw codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-18, 07:27 AM
MOGX470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SAIS Bypass Installed but I still throw codes

Last year my 2006 GX470 threw the P2445 code with about 180k miles on the clock. I installed the Rutech bypass system including block off plates and everything seemed normal. However, I park outside and on cold mornings when I commute to work my GX will go into limp mode and light up the typical warning lights, but not at startup. I understood that the computer only checked for the SAIS at the time of a cold startup. I have about a 24 mile highway commute and the warning lights will come on about 15 miles into the trip but only on cold mornings. I pull over and check the code and it's always P2445. I clear the code and the vehicle will be fine for the rest of the day and do the same thing the following day. This situation only happens when it's cold out and I have no issues throughout the spring and summer. Has anyone ever heard of this or know of a solution?

I searched the forums and haven't found the solution to this issue but I might be bad at searching.

Old 11-08-18, 09:22 AM
drnls
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you contacted the supplier for the bypass kit? I would question them first.
Old 11-08-18, 12:42 PM
MOGX470
Driver School Candidate

Yes, they were very helpful.They sent a replacement unit and offered a refund. They tested the old unit and it tested good on their end. I have the same issue with the replacement unit so I don't think it's the bypass kit.
Old 11-09-18, 05:54 AM
drnls
Rookie

May be related to when you plug in bypass to trick computer?? Before or after starting and engine warms up - I read something here or on ih8mud site.
The following users liked this post:
MOGX470 (11-09-18)
Old 11-13-18, 11:25 AM
blackoutt
Driver School Candidate

I thought if the SAIP pump valve failed open it has to be replaced or tricked to think it's closed with resistors or it will keep logging that fault. That's why it's important to install a bypass BEFORE they fail as preventative maintenance.
Old 11-14-18, 04:36 AM
gwebster
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blackoutt
I thought if the SAIP pump valve failed open it has to be replaced or tricked to think it's closed with resistors or it will keep logging that fault. That's why it's important to install a bypass BEFORE they fail as preventative maintenance.
I believe if the valve failed in the open position, the bypass will still work so long as the block off plates are installed (the plates serve the purpose of a closed valve)
Old 11-14-18, 04:49 AM
blackoutt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gwebster

I believe if the valve failed in the open position, the bypass will still work so long as the block off plates are installed (the plates serve the purpose of a closed valve)
Ah that's right. Maybe a leak in the pipes or gaskets at the blockoff plates? I know mine were sketchy to get in there.
Old 11-14-18, 05:47 AM
wombat55
Rookie

Originally Posted by blackoutt
Ah that's right. Maybe a leak in the pipes or gaskets at the blockoff plates? I know mine were sketchy to get in there.
So far so good in the cold weather with my Hewitt-Tech bypass. Has been in the teens the past few mornings. My codes had suggested the valves failed in open position and I also installed the exhaust block off plates.
Old 11-14-18, 09:10 AM
MOGX470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gwebster

I installed the block off plates when I hooked up the unit. One thing that I have found that is working for me is if I start up in the cold morning and let it run a few seconds before turning it off and restarting. If I do a restart I have no issues 15 miles into my drive. It's not weird if it works right?
Old 11-14-18, 10:03 AM
JLee50
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does your kit have the wire tied into the starter relay? I think some of the kits have difficulty if you have the ignition 'on' but don't start the truck immediately, though I'm not sure why you'd be seeing problems after 15 miles.
Old 11-14-18, 11:09 AM
MOGX470
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JLee50
Does your kit have the wire tied into the starter relay? I think some of the kits have difficulty if you have the ignition 'on' but don't start the truck immediately, though I'm not sure why you'd be seeing problems after 15 miles.
The kit just has the plug and the block off plates. I'll add a pic. I'm assuming at this point it's an issue I may need to go to the dealer to fix, which is always a last resort.
Old 11-14-18, 11:18 AM
JLee50
Driver

Originally Posted by MOGX470
The kit just has the plug and the block off plates. I'll add a pic. I'm assuming at this point it's an issue I may need to go to the dealer to fix, which is always a last resort.
This is the kit I have: https://hewitt-tech.com/store/index....ct_detail&p=12

I went with Hewitt for this feature:
The bypass module is activated when the ignition is first switched to "ON" and any time it detects a 4-12V signal on the starter relay wire. The starter relay option is only available on the Hewitt-Tech SAIS Bypass Modules! This option, when connected, ensures that the module actively prevents the SAIS from running on EVERY start. With the starter relay wire connected you can turn the ignition to "ON" for any period of time and the module will be active as soon as you crank the engine. Without the starter relay wire connection you would need to turn the ignition back "Off" and then crank the vehicle to ensure the module is active or the system could operate and cause trouble codes and the CEL to come back on. Just install the kit with the starter relay wire connection and don't worry about having to start the engine as soon as you turn the key on! If anyone else drives the vehicle this is a Must!
It has been trouble free for about 5k miles now.
Old 11-15-18, 04:00 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Dash lit up yesterday with P1445. Will this Bypass let you pass emissions testing when time comes? Thanks
Old 11-15-18, 07:31 AM
JLee50
Driver

Originally Posted by NTH
Dash lit up yesterday with P1445. Will this Bypass let you pass emissions testing when time comes? Thanks
What year is your GX? The bypass kit eliminates the secondary air system from the picture, so as long as you don't have other OBDII faults it should pass.
Old 11-15-18, 11:18 AM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JLee50
What year is your GX? The bypass kit eliminates the secondary air system from the picture, so as long as you don't have other OBDII faults it should pass.
It's an 07. That's good to know. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: SAIS Bypass Installed but I still throw codes