IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire pressure info

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-18, 11:28 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tire pressure info

According to the owner's manual multi information display is capable to show the actual tire pressures.
Tire pressure information page should in between the boost gauge page and the gear position page. In my case the tire pressure information page is entirely missing.
The boost gauge page is followed by the gear position page.

The subject is an IS200t F-Sport from Dec. 2015, rolling on the factory 18" rims.

TPMS works, warning light comes on when one of the tires became underinflated.

Any ideas?
Old 11-06-18, 04:45 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 826 Likes on 404 Posts

You should have it there. On both my 2015 and 2018 IS350's it was right after the selected gear info.
Old 11-06-18, 08:42 PM
kr2015
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's really odd. I have it on my 2015 IS250. Something to check with your dealer? Maybe a bad software install
Old 11-06-18, 10:17 PM
Ethanol
Driver

Thank you for the feedback guys.
First I thought I've missed something, but I went though all of the pages one by one that the multi information display
shows, and this particular page is simply not there... despite of the description in the manual.

Tire pressure info is also "skipped" when trying to display it at the lower half of the tachometer.

I guess I'll have to visit a dealer then.
Old 11-12-18, 08:11 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Update: I went to a dealership, in order to register a 2nd set of tire pressure sensors (belonging to the winter wheel set) to the body computer, and I've also asked to check the missing tire pressure page in the multi-information display.

The guys told me that my dash is not capable to show the tire pressures, and pressure info page is introduced later on.
But I felt like they're just guessing...

Well I don't really trust this info, so could someone suggest me an official contact address to Lexus where can I ask questions without being redirected to the local customer service?
I'm outside of the US, and I don't know whether a dealer from US or Canada would answer me.

...or could someone confirm that this info page was introduced after 2016?

I'm still suspecting that a software patch could solve this. Theoretically the car is within the three year warranty period until the end of this December.
(Manufactured in Dec. 2015)

Suggestions, comments are appreciated.

Last edited by Ethanol; 11-12-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-12-18, 11:00 AM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethanol
Update: I went to a dealership, in order to register a 2nd set of tire pressure sensors (belonging to the winter wheel set) to the body computer, and I've also asked to check the missing tire pressure page in the multi-information display.

The guys told me that my dash is not capable to show the tire pressures, and pressure info page is introduced later on.
But I felt like they're just guessing...

Well I don't really trust this info, so could someone suggest me an official contact address to Lexus where can I ask questions without being redirected to the local customer service?
I'm outside of the US, and I don't know whether a dealer from US or Canada would answer me.

...or could someone confirm that this info page was introduced after 2016?

I'm still suspecting that a software patch could solve this. Theoretically the car is within the three year warranty period until the end of this December.
(Manufactured in Dec. 2015)

Suggestions, comments are appreciated.
Sorry to hear that.
I just want to say that my 2014 came with the tire pressure gage. There is no way it was introduced later on in 2016... I have no idea why, but if its program error, maybe you can try resetting the computer.
Old 11-12-18, 11:21 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Thanks for the feedback. That confirms the 3rd gen. IS has this feature from the beginning.
(or at least some of them )

I've tried to reset the TPMS, but no effect on this issue.

Just thinking... Could this be a market related thing or an option maybe?
Old 11-12-18, 11:27 AM
Ajowhan
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ethanol
Thanks for the feedback. That confirms the 3rd gen. IS has this feature from the beginning.
(or at least some of them )

I've tried to reset the TPMS, but no effect on this issue.

Just thinking... Could this be a market related thing or an option maybe?
Where are you from? I have never hear of the tpms being an option, I could be wrong tho.
Old 11-12-18, 12:59 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 826 Likes on 404 Posts

I second the "where are you from" question.
maybe it's really the case for your market. US and Canada do have the pressure info, but maybe not your market.
Old 11-12-18, 10:13 PM
Ethanol
Driver

I'm from Hungary, EU.
I've bought this F Sport as a 2nd hand through a car dealer.
Originally it was a low mileage showroom car at a Lexus/Toyota dealership.
As far as I can tell it has all options except the sunroof.

In the meantime I've found an other 3rd gen. Lexus IS from 2014 (this is a 300h non-F Sport)
without the tire pressure display capability.
Honestly I don't get why is this piece of software was omitted, if really the market difference is behind it.
All the necessary hardware is already present / built in the car. This is why I would like to get more information in this topic.

Regarding the software: I can switch the odometer and speed units to miles and MPH respectively (from km and km/h),
even the fuel consumption can be displayed as MPG (instead of L/100km).
Old 11-13-18, 07:24 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds crazy, but maybe it has to do with PSI being non-metric. Does euro tire pressure usually read in kg/si or something?
Maybe since the gauge can't support a euro reading it is left out?
Old 11-13-18, 09:19 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Indeed the SI base unit of pressure is kg/cm^2, but atm (atmosphere) often is used.
In the last ~25 years PSI also became widespread, even the air pressure gauges at the gas stations
usually have a secondary scale for the PSI readings. In case of the tires marketed in the EU
max. pressure values are given in both PSI and kg/cm^2 units on the tire sidewall.

Personally I would be more than happy with the PSI readings displayed at the information display.
But considering the computing power of the micro-controller inside the cluster, conversion between units
must be a piece of cake. IMHO it's just a matter of program code.

At the other hand, a flashing warning light won't tell you which tire(s) need attention.
The progress of the pressure loss can't be monitored either. I'd rather avoid to stop in the emergency
lane, if the progress of pressure loss makes possible to reach a safe place.
And when you eventually stop to check the tires at the roadside, without a pressure gauge
you might won't be able to tell which tire is affected, unless it's obviously flat.

For the operation of TPMS warning light, the continuously updated, numerical pressure value info
provided by the tire pressure sensors must be present inside the instrument cluster circuitry, in order to make comparison
between the actual values and reference values, which are stored upon pressing the TPMS reset switch.
So the actual pressure values are available inside the cluster, but they're simply doesn't displayed.

...and I don't see the real reason behind it.
Old 11-14-18, 05:18 AM
Ethanol
Driver

Update: It seems to be confirmed that the tire pressure display is omitted from the IS cars marketed in the EU.
I was asked about enabling this feature, or upgrading the instrument cluster software, but no luck.
No official support is available for this.

Nice... so truncated TPMS is good for the EU. Especially if we consider TPMS as a safety feature.
Old 11-15-18, 08:30 AM
roli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of TPMS on an EU variant of the IS... I have a 2017 IS300h (F-sport) - it doesn't have that menu either.

Does anyone know how to change the tire set? The service guy last year told me that you go into some settings menu then press some specific sequence of keys and then the car will use the 2nd set of sensors. But I can't remember the sequence. And I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The manual of that is really helpful #sarcasm:
It is not necessary to register the ID codes when replacing normal tires with snow tires, if the ID codes for the wheels of both normal tires and snow tires are registered before- hand.
For information about changing ID codes, ask any authorized Lexus retailer or Lexus authorized repairer, or any reliable repairer.

Last edited by roli; 11-15-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-15-18, 11:08 AM
Ethanol
Driver

In my interpretation it says you can swap freely the two registered wheel sets,
they will be recognized automatically.
No need for extra switch (like the "Main / 2nd" on some earlier models) to signal the change.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure info