LC Model (2018-present)

Too Flawed to Live With

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 10:14 AM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Too Flawed to Live With

Like Craig I too am considering selling my LC500h.

After just over a year of ownership, I am beginning to wonder if the LC500 is just too flawed to live with on a daily basis and whether it is time to move on.

Looks wise it is an amazing car and is a real head turner but I'm not sure if this is enough.

I would be interested to hear other owners comments on the following:

There are places that the LC500 just can't go as it is too wide. UK Roads are not designed for a car that is this wide, I realise that in the US this probably isn't an issue. The lack of a surround view camera which should be standard on a car like this just makes it worse.I went to a car park with a 2m width restriction recently and there was just no way I would risk trying to get in. On narrow roads you have to be really careful too.

The whole Infotainment system is poor. I am getting a lot of crashes where it just switches itself off and then comes back on again. It seems to forget what mode you were in and switches the split screen off.The SatNav sometimes shows the car in completely the wrong place. Stopping the car and restarting it seems to be the only way to fix this. The trackpad is very difficult to use when stationary and is all but unusable while driving. the whole system is poor and very difficult to use.

The lack of any heated seats switches is really annoying. I know that you can set this to automatic but this means that they don't necessarily come on when you want them to and they never seem to get that hot. My car is a Sport and so this maybe due to the alcantara, perhaps the leather seats do get hotter.

The interior lighting is very poor. The ambient lighting all but switches itself off once you select Drive and now that the darker evenings are here, the courtesy lights are so small and dim that they do almost nothing to illuminate the interior when you open the doors.There is also no illumination of the heater and aircon controls making using these very difficult to use at night.

The auto high beam often does not work well, either dipping very late or switching the high beam on in a built up area. The day/night sensors are also far too sensitive.

Finally, I have a really annoying rattle from the front passenger seat which cannot be identified.

I may be tempted back to a German car, as while they may not have the looks, they do all of this stuff so much better.

I have had a test drive in a Mercedes E53 AMG coupe which is a 'mild hybrid'.

I realise that it doesn't have the looks of the LC but the technology is in an altogether different league. Interestingly the Mercedes has very small trackpads on the steering wheel which are really easy to use. I have only ever heard of criticism of the Lexus system. It is dangerous to try and use it on the move.

The performance was also far superior to the LC, in either the hybrid or the V8 form.

Are these flaws common to Lexus vehicles in general or is just the LC?

Old 10-29-18, 11:02 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Interesting review of the LC500h. I have yet to drive the LC500. I am a huge Mercedes fan and I think the E53 AMG would be more delightful for you to own vs the hybrid LC.

Your driving the first Lexus vehicle to ride on the New GA-L platform. I’m really surprised your headunit is crashing regularly, that’s very un-Lexus-like. The lack of a 360 camera on a brand new six figure luxury GT boggles me as well.

I’m going to take a wild guess and ask do you have the 21” wheels? The larger the wheel the worse the ride. Stick to 20”s if you can. The roads aren’t any better in most parts of the United States.

I would say take a look at the brand new BMW 8 series coupé or E53 AMG 4 matic+.

Last edited by highrev6; 10-29-18 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 12:15 PM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules640
Like Craig I too am considering selling my LC500h.

After just over a year of ownership, I am beginning to wonder if the LC500 is just too flawed to live with on a daily basis and whether it is time to move on.

Looks wise it is an amazing car and is a real head turner but I'm not sure if this is enough.

I would be interested to hear other owners comments on the following:

There are places that the LC500 just can't go as it is too wide. UK Roads are not designed for a car that is this wide, I realise that in the US this probably isn't an issue. The lack of a surround view camera which should be standard on a car like this just makes it worse.I went to a car park with a 2m width restriction recently and there was just no way I would risk trying to get in. On narrow roads you have to be really careful too.

The whole Infotainment system is poor. I am getting a lot of crashes where it just switches itself off and then comes back on again. It seems to forget what mode you were in and switches the split screen off.The SatNav sometimes shows the car in completely the wrong place. Stopping the car and restarting it seems to be the only way to fix this. The trackpad is very difficult to use when stationary and is all but unusable while driving. the whole system is poor and very difficult to use.

The lack of any heated seats switches is really annoying. I know that you can set this to automatic but this means that they don't necessarily come on when you want them to and they never seem to get that hot. My car is a Sport and so this maybe due to the alcantara, perhaps the leather seats do get hotter.

The interior lighting is very poor. The ambient lighting all but switches itself off once you select Drive and now that the darker evenings are here, the courtesy lights are so small and dim that they do almost nothing to illuminate the interior when you open the doors.There is also no illumination of the heater and aircon controls making using these very difficult to use at night.

The auto high beam often does not work well, either dipping very late or switching the high beam on in a built up area. The day/night sensors are also far too sensitive.

Finally, I have a really annoying rattle from the front passenger seat which cannot be identified.

I may be tempted back to a German car, as while they may not have the looks, they do all of this stuff so much better.

I have had a test drive in a Mercedes E53 AMG coupe which is a 'mild hybrid'.

I realise that it doesn't have the looks of the LC but the technology is in an altogether different league. Interestingly the Mercedes has very small trackpads on the steering wheel which are really easy to use. I have only ever heard of criticism of the Lexus system. It is dangerous to try and use it on the move.

The performance was also far superior to the LC, in either the hybrid or the V8 form.

Are these flaws common to Lexus vehicles in general or is just the LC?
I agree with most of your complaints. I would like easy buttons for the seat heaters/coolers. And the interior lighting is too dim.

I would love bird's eye view like on my Highlander. At least my Vette had a front camera.

Also I don't appreciate no light in the glove box or trunk.
And no automatic trunk closer.

The track pad is no fun, but at least I find it manageable. Maybe you need to adjust your sensitivity?

None of these are deal breakers for me.
Old 10-29-18, 12:46 PM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by highrev6
Interesting review of the LC500h. I have yet to drive the LC500. I am a huge Mercedes fan and I think the E53 AMG would be more delightful for you to own vs the hybrid LC.

Your driving the first Lexus vehicle to ride on the New GA-L platform. I’m really surprised your headunit is crashing regularly, that’s very un-Lexus-like. The lack of a 360 camera on a brand new six figure luxury GT boggles me as well.

I’m going to take a wild guess and ask do you have the 21” wheels? The larger the wheel the worse the ride. Stick to 20”s if you can. The roads aren’t any better in most parts of the United States.

I would say take a look at the brand new BMW 8 series coupé or E53 AMG 4 matic+.
Yes I do have the 21” wheels. It’s not so much the ride quality as that a lot of our roads are just not that wide.

I am going to look at the BMW 8 series. It is coming out here on 1 December.
Old 10-29-18, 01:24 PM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry you've experienced these issues. Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had any of these problems and I love the "concierge" mode for the ventilation system. Just use the buttons on the dash to control temp and fan speed. I have no complaints about the auto high beam and you should just have the dealer replace the Infotainment unit because of the problems you have with it. I empathize the issue of a wide car on narrow roads but be glad it's not a lambo or the like. However, I also would have liked a 360 camera. But all in all, I'm still pleased with my LC. I have no plans to take it to the track on a regular basis, and it's easily fast enough for me on public roads. Like I said, maybe I'm lucky or easily pleased.
The following users liked this post:
SuperGT (01-14-19)
Old 10-29-18, 02:21 PM
yiantony
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the honest review. Lexus has been pretty much ignoring customer's feedback on their infotainment system. Guess that's prob the only reason that stops me from owning a new Lexus ATM. I have 2 IS now and considering a RCF or a used LC. But I don't really want to get myself into using that infotainment system again. Their infotainment system has been laggy, buggy, featureless, not supporting any foreign characters, UI being 10 years old, and the controller is taking too much space with a too small screen. I'm so tempted to buy an Audi now. At least I can get both Android Auto and apple carplay and a decent default system. I really hope that more customers are giving such feedback and tell them that they are going away because of the shxxty system.
Old 10-29-18, 04:11 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Even my Porsche has apple car play, ridiculous.
Old 10-29-18, 05:03 PM
Ahhadanny
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules640

Yes I do have the 21” wheels. It’s not so much the ride quality as that a lot of our roads are just not that wide.

I am going to look at the BMW 8 series. It is coming out here on 1 December.
According to BMW, 8 series' width = 1902 mm; Lexus lc's width including the wide mirror = 1915 mm. The difference is 1.2 cm. That is less than half inch... It is hard to find any high end sports coupe with narrow body. Not sure if 8 series is for you if the width is that important.

Due to tax issue, I am not sure if you can buy lc 500 in Britain. LC 500h is actually totally different car even if they look exactly the same. I test drove both. I would never buy 500h. The 4 speed transmission and the other mimic fake 6 speeds constantly tried to guess what I wanted. However, the transmission was never right. lol So, I can understand why you don't feel that special to drive 500 h. Plus, I would want a all wheel drive sports coupe if I lived in Britain.

I am ok with the touch pad. And, you are right. LC needs a 360 camera, or, at least, a front view camera.

All in all though, I like lc 500. Notice that, no car is perfect. Lexus is comfortable, reliable and safe. However, if you like to push the limit, it may not be your car. BMW's ride is even rougher. But fans call that sporty
Porsche's PDK transmission is perfect. However, most of them look dated even if they are brand new, IMHO. I guess you will have to just find whatever pleases you. Good luck.
Old 10-30-18, 06:29 AM
Jules640
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the BMW 8 series is probably too wide as well. The Mercedes E53 coupe is a better size for UK roads.

Yes you can buy the V8 LC500 in the UK. The LC500 and LC500h are priced exactly the same. I tried both but found the V8 to not have much torque at low revs. Having owned the hybrid I would agree that the gearbox is not very good.

I will do some test drives and then make a final decision.
Old 10-30-18, 07:41 AM
hoonose
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

I was surprised to learn that my LC is the about the same width and weight of my 2017 Toyota Highlander. And only about 5" shorter. The LC is larger than it looks.
Old 10-31-18, 12:44 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by yiantony
Thanks for the honest review. Lexus has been pretty much ignoring customer's feedback on their infotainment system. Guess that's prob the only reason that stops me from owning a new Lexus ATM. I have 2 IS now and considering a RCF or a used LC. But I don't really want to get myself into using that infotainment system again. Their infotainment system has been laggy, buggy, featureless, not supporting any foreign characters, UI being 10 years old, and the controller is taking too much space with a too small screen. I'm so tempted to buy an Audi now. At least I can get both Android Auto and apple carplay and a decent default system. I really hope that more customers are giving such feedback and tell them that they are going away because of the shxxty system.
Sorry but the infotainment on the 2IS is not the same as those being used in today's Lexus vehicles.

There is already news/rumors Lexus is exploring touchscreens again.

The present day Lexus infotainment is not buggy, laggy, or featureless. It works pretty well after taking about a week to become adjusted to the interface.
Old 11-10-18, 10:16 AM
lexusrcfuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading the flawed article... If you want out of anything in life, you will find every single niggle you want to and justify it in order to make a change.

In my opinion every car can be flawed in some way. I also run a 2017 C63S Saloon and a LC500 V8. Completely different beasts. Trust me, the German cars are not perfect by any means. (Have had several German brands, one E500 had to be returned to the factory for a refund as it was just a dog).

If you want practicality sure a saloon or SUV is the way to go, but comparing an E55 or E63 to an LC500 seems pointless.

​​​​​​My AMG has its flaws... Rattles.. creaky cheap plastics, sure the Media / GPS is very good, but it also crashes, resets itself on the fly, loses GPS signal etc..the accelerator is sluggish to respond and the ride is very hard on the rough English roads and the quality of build and feel is nowhere near as good as the LC, by miles and miles. But the Merc s practical. Dogs .luggage...passengers... Etc.

So is the LC500 flawed...? In my opinion no, it is an excellent, beautiful, powerful, quality piece of engineering and a rare site on the roads. Plus it sounds amazing... In V8 guise. Maybe having the hybrid isn't as appealing as the growling V8 which has an very appealing heart and soul.

I think that you have to have a certain mindset when you own a GT and have to understand the practicalities and restrictions that design comes with.

R
The following 3 users liked this post by lexusrcfuk:
guanche2k9 (11-10-18), signdetres (11-10-18), SuperGT (01-14-19)
Old 11-10-18, 02:24 PM
EzpLC500
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said!
Old 11-10-18, 02:28 PM
EzpLC500
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All my cars become to flawed to live with. That’s why i keep trading them in. But so far I am happy with my LC. I suppose in due time this will become too flawed to live with also.

Ez
Old 11-10-18, 11:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So true.

There is no "perfect" car out there at any price. Some come close, real close.

I've had a few MB's. Two of which were hardtop convertibles (one SLK55 AMG and another SLK300) at the same time. His and her convertibles at the same time. After I got my RCF, my SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE just sat there and every two weeks or so I took it out around the block to warm it up until all syayens are at the usual operating temperatures. I prefer the RCF to the SLK55 AMG. So in about two years it sat there most of the time the 4 brand new tires I had put on dry rotted and I had to get a whole new 4 brand new tires. In the two years, the SLK55 AMG accumulated some 4500 miles and I still had to change the oil annually.....all good. I then decided the MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE is "too flawed" and traded it in several months ago in June.

I think Lexus with it's recent RCF, GSF, and then the LC500 models......is going in the right direction to "carve out a market" with loyal following and to attract new customers.

Originally Posted by lexusrcfuk
Reading the flawed article... If you want out of anything in life, you will find every single niggle you want to and justify it in order to make a change.

In my opinion every car can be flawed in some way. I also run a 2017 C63S Saloon and a LC500 V8. Completely different beasts. Trust me, the German cars are not perfect by any means. (Have had several German brands, one E500 had to be returned to the factory for a refund as it was just a dog).

If you want practicality sure a saloon or SUV is the way to go, but comparing an E55 or E63 to an LC500 seems pointless.

​​​​​​My AMG has its flaws... Rattles.. creaky cheap plastics, sure the Media / GPS is very good, but it also crashes, resets itself on the fly, loses GPS signal etc..the accelerator is sluggish to respond and the ride is very hard on the rough English roads and the quality of build and feel is nowhere near as good as the LC, by miles and miles. But the Merc s practical. Dogs .luggage...passengers... Etc.

So is the LC500 flawed...? In my opinion no, it is an excellent, beautiful, powerful, quality piece of engineering and a rare site on the roads. Plus it sounds amazing... In V8 guise. Maybe having the hybrid isn't as appealing as the growling V8 which has an very appealing heart and soul.

I think that you have to have a certain mindset when you own a GT and have to understand the practicalities and restrictions that design comes with.

R

Quick Reply: Too Flawed to Live With