Winter tires without TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 08:34 AM
Lexus0525
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter tires without TPMS

Hello everyone! Need some help with TPMS on 2017 NX200T

I live in Alberta Canada and we have long snowy winter here so I plan to purchase a set of snow tires for my wife’s NX. I am still on the fence about having TPMS installed on the snow tires as the Lexus dealership here asked for $30 to reprogram them with service or $79 to just have them swapped and reprogramed. I’ve decided to swap them on myself in the spring so spending $79 to just have them reprogramed seems like a rip off to me. A friend of mine also had snow tires on with TPMS installed but not reprogramed, it just has no reading of the pressure but no crazy blinking light, I am okay with this but wondering if the light will come on if it detects no TPMS installed at all?

Thank you!

Old 10-22-18, 09:24 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

In my experience the light will come on if tpms is not reprogrammed. Also, try to find a tire shop with tpms ability, they are able to do the programming for less than the dealership. If you go through the trouble of swapping them you might as well have them programmed. Make sure to write down the serial numbers when you swap, then if you decide to buy a Techstream cable for $35 you can program them yourself.

Also, i believe the carista app an now program tpms if you have an obd dongle and the app on your phone.
Old 10-22-18, 03:05 PM
Lexus0525
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gompka
In my experience the light will come on if tpms is not reprogrammed. Also, try to find a tire shop with tpms ability, they are able to do the programming for less than the dealership. If you go through the trouble of swapping them you might as well have them programmed. Make sure to write down the serial numbers when you swap, then if you decide to buy a Techstream cable for $35 you can program them yourself.

Also, i believe the carista app an now program tpms if you have an obd dongle and the app on your phone.
Hi! My friend put his winter tires on without reprograming the sensors and had no warning lights on but rather the dash is just showing tire pressure in blank. I am wondering what will happen if no TPMS sensors installed at all, will all the warning lights come on? I am okay with tire pressure showing in blank, but dont want to deal with the blinking lights...
Old 10-22-18, 03:10 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I find it odd that the quoted prices seem like a ripoff for a lexus owner. just pay a tire shop to put the snow tires on the lexus rims...

if no tpms is found in computer on most cars just means your tire pressure light will stay on.
Old 10-23-18, 07:48 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus0525
Hi! My friend put his winter tires on without reprograming the sensors and had no warning lights on but rather the dash is just showing tire pressure in blank. I am wondering what will happen if no TPMS sensors installed at all, will all the warning lights come on? I am okay with tire pressure showing in blank, but dont want to deal with the blinking lights...
I'm not sure on the nx, on my is350 it has a tmps pop up and its annoying because i have to scroll past it to see any other information for the car such as mpg etc.
Old 10-29-18, 05:54 AM
user 782108911
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed a second set of tpms on my winter tires and you still need to get them reprogrammed everytime you swap. Right now, I don't see any alerts, and the reading is ---. So it's not annoying or disruptive, but seeing as how I bought a second set of sensors from the dealer I would like them to work. t's about 40$ at the dealer to just reprogram or 69$ to swap tires (even if they are already on rims) and reprogram. It's a bit of a rip off. Anyone know of any tire installers that will charge less in Montreal, QC? Also, is it easy to reprogram yourself? What parts are needed to do it?

Last edited by user 782108911; 10-29-18 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-29-18, 09:54 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by Raimo81
I have installed a second set of tpms on my winter tires and you still need to get them reprogrammed everytime you swap. Right now, I don't see any alerts, and the reading is ---. So it's not annoying or disruptive, but seeing as how I bought a second set of sensors from the dealer I would like them to work. t's about 40$ at the dealer to just reprogram or 69$ to swap tires (even if they are already on rims) and reprogram. It's a bit of a rip off. Anyone know of any tire installers that will charge less in Montreal, QC? Also, is it easy to reprogram yourself? What parts are needed to do it?
You can use either a techstream cable, or the carista app and and OBDII dongle. I think carista is the easiest but they require a yearly subscription.
Old 10-29-18, 11:14 AM
Lexus0525
Driver School Candidate

Ya, i did have the wheel set installed on the weekend, without TPMS. Like you said, no alarm or annoying warning message. I agree it is a rip off to spend $40 just have them reprogrammed, twice a year! They could very well just have this included in their regular service for those ones needed!
Old 12-09-18, 11:00 AM
Roscol
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Changed over to my winter set several weeks ago on my 2018 , no tpms sensors.
No warning lights or alerts until last night, exactly 1,000 km since change over. It was just a one time alert that described possible malfunction with the tpms system. I can see it in the alert history log.
But that was it, no other warnings, lights or sounds. I have a feeling it will just alert me every 1,000 km until I change over back to the tpms set in the spring.
Not a big deal at all.
Old 12-09-18, 06:23 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

I just bought an autel tpms programmer (the ts501) and do my own swaps and reprogram.

That said, on the NX if you don't reprogram it will just show blank and never give you a warning light...so not really a big deal to go through winter without tpms.
Old 12-10-18, 06:53 AM
gompka
Racer

Good to know.
Old 07-05-19, 09:08 AM
16fsport2
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Initialize Tire Pressure Warning System?

I am new to TPMS, however found this info on the Owner's Manual for NX200T, as attached.
Do let me know if this is relevant, make sense?
David

Old 07-05-19, 09:11 AM
gompka
Racer

I use a TIS programmer to reporgram mine, works like a charm and about $30 on ebay.