LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I've used techron fuel system cleaner... what else is there out there for the engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 04:55 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts
Default I've used techron fuel system cleaner... what else is there out there for the engine

So I have used techron fuel system cleaner once, I intend to use another bottle soon, since I just changed my engine oil. Is there anything good and safe out there I can add to the engine oil, run it a bit then have them change the oil? I have 89,000 miles on the car.

THANKS !
Old 10-22-18, 06:30 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

If you use a good synthetic oil you should NOT have to add any "cocktails" to it as long as you use a quality filter and change it as far as the fuel system goes, BG 44K is a "Professional" Fuel Cleaner that gets rave reviews....... I use it in all my vehicles and have not had any problems.
I normally "fuel up" at Costco filling up with a premium "tier one" gas that has some additives to it and use Amsoil Signature Series oil with a Ea filter.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 10-22-18 at 06:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 06:32 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

If you change your oil regularly, IMO you don't need an oil additive.

As to fuel system cleaners, many will say they are worthless as gas has detergents, but I use them periodically in high mileage vehicles. I use either Techron or SeaFoam.
jdanielca (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 10:32 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Motul Engine Clean. This is the exact same thing as Toyota Engine Oil System cleaner. You add it to the oil, let the engine idle for 15 minutes, then change the oil.
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-22-18, 12:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I used Liqui Moly engine cleaner when my GS had around 100K miles on it. It had no issues and felt the same afterward but I figured it could not hurt at that mileage. You just pour it in the engine before a oil chance, let it idle for a few minutes and drain the old oil. I use Redline fuel system cleaner every once in a while, probably every 50K miles or if the car sat a while and ran on old gas.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-22-18, 03:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

In my opinion if you use a high quality gasoline, e.g. Shell or similar, and a high quality motor oil, e.g. Pennzoil or similar, you do not need any other additives. Many, but not all, additives on the market are nothing but snake oil. The only thing those additives add to are the pockets of the owners. The legitimate additives are fine if you are using less than optimal gasoline and oil.
Old 10-23-18, 12:49 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
In my opinion if you use a high quality gasoline, e.g. Shell or similar, and a high quality motor oil, e.g. Pennzoil or similar, you do not need any other additives. Many, but not all, additives on the market are nothing but snake oil. The only thing those additives add to are the pockets of the owners. The legitimate additives are fine if you are using less than optimal gasoline and oil.
I am going to assume in Ukraine we have less than optimal gasoline.
Old 10-23-18, 04:08 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

add a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner, not the injector version which i think you did every 7500-10000
miles on a empty tank

if you are trying to clean motor or feel there is an issue, fill with shell prremium and use it for a month of shell only..

if there are hesitation issues check the injectors, or fuel filter .

between your sweet v8, the shell premium and a full synthetic oil change every 7500 thats all thats needed for a super experience.

this point is a debated topic but i am believer of more frequent changes of the air filter every 3 rd oil change or around 20k is paramount in keeping all motors running optimally.
i have also found that i get a little more mpg with a new air filter and feel it almost pays for itself with frequent changes.

good luck
jdanielca (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 07:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'll be the lone dissenter on the oil cleaner. Without rehashing alot of old info, I had a hesitation issue that happened right after an oil change (many owners have this phenomenon.). After I used Toyota's Engine Oil Sytem cleaner, my problem disappeared. All oil changes were quality TGMO Oils. Problem is, apparently this product is not easily obtained in the USA. In Canada, all the dealers carry it. Here it is:
jdanielca (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 10:06 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I will NEVER use an injector cleaner, the kind added to the tank.
Old 10-23-18, 02:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
I am going to assume in Ukraine we have less than optimal gasoline.

Point taken!
Old 10-23-18, 02:59 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'll be the lone dissenter on the oil cleaner. Without rehashing alot of old info, I had a hesitation issue that happened right after an oil change (many owners have this phenomenon.). After I used Toyota's Engine Oil Sytem cleaner, my problem disappeared. All oil changes were quality TGMO Oils. Problem is, apparently this product is not easily obtained in the USA. In Canada, all the dealers carry it. Here it is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2DR44WSZ4w
Motul makes the Toyota stuff and is available stateside. The bottle is identical, red color is identical, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if you could peel off the Toyota label and find Motul underneath. That reminds me of something humorous from many years ago, when someone peeled a cat food can label off and underneath it was a can of regular tuna for human consumption, heh...
Old 10-23-18, 05:36 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tec80
Motul makes the Toyota stuff and is available stateside. The bottle is identical, red color is identical, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if you could peel off the Toyota label and find Motul underneath. That reminds me of something humorous from many years ago, when someone peeled a cat food can label off and underneath it was a can of regular tuna for human consumption, heh...
talking about this? https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...ine-clean-moto
roadfrog (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 07:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Wow! That definitely looks like the same container as the one I bought from Toyota. That should do it!
Old 10-24-18, 07:05 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I wonder why they advise using this "cocktail" on Canadian cars and not US cars.

BTW! I like the end of the commercial where they show a picture of a U.S Toyota!

Quick Reply: I've used techron fuel system cleaner... what else is there out there for the engine