Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rx 350 totaled?

Old 10-18-18, 07:40 PM
Egbowers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx 350 totaled?

Rx 350 100k miles in wreck today... think it's totaled?

Old 10-18-18, 07:46 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

What year?

No airbags went off?
Old 10-18-18, 07:49 PM
Egbowers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 100,000 miles yes just driver side
Old 10-18-18, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

KBB, on average, lists 15-16K for the average vehicle of your type and mileage. Unless there is more hidden damage underneath that doesn't show up on the surface photos (which is always a possibility) I'd say, probably no, it's not totaled.....but it may be close.
Old 10-19-18, 06:34 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

If you want it totaled, bring it to Lexus to fix. If you dont want it totaled, bring it to a shade tree mechanic. It all depends on how much it costs to fix.
Old 10-20-18, 04:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

My wife's RX had less damage and was 22K just in parts! Granted, we're talking about a '17 RX where the triple LED adaptive light module was $4,600 in itself. But no structural damage nor any airbags deployed.

OP, I'd say yours is much cheaper but will be close...

Last edited by corradoMR2; 10-20-18 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-20-18, 04:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by situman
If you want it totaled, bring it to Lexus to fix. If you dont want it totaled, bring it to a shade tree mechanic. It all depends on how much it costs to fix.

^^^^ The insurance companies are probably aware of the price differences between typical shops. It won't be totaled unless the insurance company says it's totalled....and they will probably base that assessment only on certain repair shops. My company, for example, has a list of approved shops.
Old 10-20-18, 06:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Egbowers
Rx 350 100k miles in wreck today... think it's totaled?

Are you the driver at fault, or are you the middle guy in a chain reaction collision between multiple vehicles. You haven't mentioned what insurance coverage either. They don't care about what the vehicle is worth at this point. They want to know if you'll insist on a Lexus dealership for repairs and what parts you specify, and if you are at fault. It's about the claim and the fault and coverage, not what the car looks like in pics.
Old 10-20-18, 09:38 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
^^^^ The insurance companies are probably aware of the price differences between typical shops. It won't be totaled unless the insurance company says it's totalled....and they will probably base that assessment only on certain repair shops. My company, for example, has a list of approved shops.
At least in Arizona, it is not legal for the insurance companies to require specific shops.
Old 10-20-18, 09:48 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by oldcajun
At least in Arizona, it is not legal for the insurance companies to require specific shops.
Same experience here in FL, the insurance company has preferred shops for ease of payment but you can choose any shop that you want to. They specifically tell you that, I've dealt with several companies before. Every time the other at fault driver's insurance paid but I don't think that matters.
Old 10-21-18, 02:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
True, laws vary state to state. It is typical in many states, though, for insurance companies to have preferred shops, even if you are not required to use them.
Old 10-21-18, 02:54 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm going to say yes. At least if your ins company will require OEM parts.
Old 10-21-18, 02:56 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The insurance company dictates how much the repair costs, not the shop. The insurance company says "We will pay $XX for that part." If you prefer a shop that charges more, your insurance co may say that they won't pay the uncharge.
Old 10-21-18, 04:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
The insurance company dictates how much the repair costs, not the shop. The insurance company says "We will pay $XX for that part." If you prefer a shop that charges more, your insurance co may say that they won't pay the uncharge.

The body-shop manager has to accept the repair estimate, though.....which is usually the case, if the shop is formally on the insurance company's approved list. But, in the end, its his job to run the shop, not the insurance company's.
Old 10-22-18, 06:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It also depends on whether or not there are even after market parts. My GS was involved in a wreck and since it was leased, it was required to have Lexus OEM parts. In retrospect, I should have brought it to a Lexus dealer instead of the tow truck shop. While they overall did a decent enough job, I could have probably gotten it totaled if I had brought it to my usual mechanic or a Lexus shop.

The Insurance comp cant dictate how much it will cost, but they can choose which route is more cost effective for them, especially if you have full coverage. They will have to either pay whatever it costs to fix it or total it, whichever cheaper for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rx 350 totaled?