Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does Apple Car Play/Android Auto make Wireless charging kinda redundant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 09:59 AM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does Apple Car Play/Android Auto make Wireless charging kinda redundant?

Am I tripping? Or does Apple Car Play/Android Auto sorta make wireless charging redundant? Just a curious thought....

Thought:So like - if a person always uses Apple Car Play (or Android Auto), they would already have to connect their phone via USB for Car Play/Android Auto to function. If they do that already, the phone is already charging... So doesn't that make having wireless charging redundant and useless if you already always use CP and AA?
Note: I know there are cars with wireless connectivity for CP/AA but majority of cars don't. Like 90%+ of cars don't have this yet. I'm talking about cars without wireless connectivity for CP/AA.

I believe BMW is the only luxury car company that can right now. While the new MBUX system on the A-Class and GLE can too when it releases. And that's it.
I hope car companies will be like BMW sooner. BMW offers wireless connectivity for Car Play. This is perfect for people who use Car Play often. They can wireless charge their phone while their wirelessly connects Car Play. I think this combination is a great innovation forward.
Old 10-18-18, 10:22 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

Not everyone will use Androidauto or Apple. So if they want to charge wireless, they still can. Also, those who care about longevity know that wireless charging hurts your battery over the long term.
Old 10-18-18, 12:24 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm sure over time, most will move over to wireless AA/CP. I have it on my BMW and use it in conjunction with wireless charging. Once you go fully wireless, its almost impossible to go back to wires. Case in point, my wired headphones collect dust despite having slightly better sound quality.
Old 10-18-18, 01:27 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Not everyone will use Androidauto or Apple. So if they want to charge wireless, they still can. Also, those who care about longevity know that wireless charging hurts your battery over the long term.
I'm talking specifically about people that will always use Apple Car Play and Android Auto though. And there are tons of people that use it all the time. In that situation, doesn't wireless charging get redundant? As per costumer that always uses CP/AA? You can't really wireless charge your phone if you are always using CP/AA since its already charging your phone through cables.

Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm sure over time, most will move over to wireless AA/CP. I have it on my BMW and use it in conjunction with wireless charging. Once you go fully wireless, its almost impossible to go back to wires. Case in point, my wired headphones collect dust despite having slightly better sound quality.
Yes. Over time, everything will move over to wireless connectivity. I think once its wireless charging + wireless connectivity for CP/AA, it'll make it a great push forward.

But as of right now - isn't having CP/AA with wireless charging redundant if you are a heavy CP/AA user that uses it all the time?
Old 10-18-18, 01:34 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BippuLexus
I'm talking specifically about people that will always use Apple Car Play and Android Auto though. And there are tons of people that use it all the time. In that situation, doesn't wireless charging get redundant? As per costumer that always uses CP/AA? You can't really wireless charge your phone if you are always using CP/AA since its already charging your phone through cables.
For those people yes, but what is the big issue? The aux jack in the cars are redundant at this point as I plug my iPod into the USB
Old 10-18-18, 01:38 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Yes, if you plug in to use AA/CP, you would not be charging with wireless at the same time. However, it's not useless as your passenger certainly could use it to charge their phone (or vice versa).
Old 10-18-18, 01:39 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
your passenger certainly could use it.
Now we are thinking...

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-19-18 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 01:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Yup, just like any of the other ports in the car. There are two USB ports in my GS. If I plug my phone into one, doesn't it make the other one redundant?
Old 10-18-18, 01:43 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 799 Likes on 558 Posts

Your phone will optimize to the fastest charger. In my Ody, they put USB plug that can't keep up with the AA battery drain so my phone defaults to the wireless charger even when plugged in
Old 10-18-18, 01:55 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 447 Posts

As already noted, CarPlay in my BMW works wirelessly without a USB connection, but my car does also have wireless/Qi charging.

The nice thing about the wireless charger is you don't need to fiddle around inserting the lightning/USB connector, you just slide the phone into a vertical holder in the center console and it will charge. You can do that without looking. It also helps keep the phone in the console too, an extra side-benefit being that it makes it harder for those tempted to manually text and drive to do so....
Old 10-18-18, 02:15 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

For those people yes, but what is the big issue? The aux jack in the cars are redundant at this point as I plug my iPod into the USB
I never said it was a "big issue"... I was just highlighting something I thought that could make wireless charging useless.

And your aux jack isn't a perfect example of this situation. Yeah. The aux jack is redundant in a car with USB changing ports. This is because USB pretty much replaces the need of an aux jack. We aren't at a point in our advancement where wireless charging replaces USB. Because not all cars have wireless charging pads and very very few cars can connect to CP/AA through wireless means.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, if you plug in to use AA/CP, you would not be charging with wireless at the same time. However, it's not useless as your passenger certainly could use it to charge their phone (or vice versa).
The passenger example is a good point. It leaves it open for the passenger to use wireless charging if the driver is a heavy CP/AA user.
Old 10-18-18, 02:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I never said it was a "big issue"... I was just highlighting something I thought that could make wireless charging useless.

And your aux jack isn't a perfect example of this situation. Yeah. The aux jack is redundant in a car with USB changing ports. This is because USB pretty much replaces the need of an aux jack. We aren't at a point in our advancement where wireless charging replaces USB. Because not all cars have wireless charging pads and very very few cars can connect to CP/AA through wireless means.
The USB is not just for Apple Car Play and AA. You can use it for your iPod, or you can use for your iPhone without using CP, or you can plug in USB with music.
Old 10-18-18, 02:45 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

The USB is not just for Apple Car Play and AA. You can use it for your iPod, or you can use for your iPhone without using CP, or you can plug in USB with music.
I know that. The USB is flexible.

I think - what I hope for the future is - for the phone to wireless connect to the car. That way it can charge, load CP/AA and play music from your phone.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but - you can't play music from your phone through the car stereo while wireless charging right?
Old 10-18-18, 02:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Correct me if I'm wrong - but - you can't play music from your phone through the car stereo while wireless charging right?
Bluetooth

I think - what I hope for the future is - for the phone to wireless connect to the car. That way it can charge, load CP/AA and play music from your phone.
I thought it was you who didn't like Apple Car Play or AA Weren't you the person who said there was no future for either?
Old 10-18-18, 03:15 PM
BippuLexus
Lexus Test Driver

I thought it was you who didn't like Apple Car Play or AA Weren't you the person who said there was no future for either?
I never said I "didn't like" CP/AA. I said its not a deal-breaker and the obsession with it being a deal-breaker among luxury/expensive cars is not something I believe in.
Reason why I believe that:
1) iDrive, MMI and MBUX is already a good infotainment systems that does better than CP/AA.
2) Majority of luxury cars are on lease. Being that a leased vehicle is roughly 3 years - this is enough for people to suffice using the standard navigation system.

Also - I never said there is no future for either. I said the future would be better if CP/AA had full integration into the navigation system.
Instead of having two navigation/infotainment systems fighting for you to use it - merge them together so they can use interchangeably. Meaning you don't have to switch off between two different screens.

Quick Reply: Does Apple Car Play/Android Auto make Wireless charging kinda redundant?