ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Transmission return line location

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 09:45 AM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission return line location

I have a 2015 ES350 with 50,000 miles. I want to change the transmission fluid. I would like to remove it all pumping it out through the cooler return line as I’ve read in a few posts. My question is...which one is the return line? I’ve attached a pic taken from the front of the car. Is it the “green” circled higher line, or the lower “red” circled line? Thanks in advance for any guidance with this!

Last edited by Megapea; 10-26-18 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Adding picture
Old 10-18-18, 12:22 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The topic that goes on and on. Out of interest, why do you want to change it when Lexus does not recommend it?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...n-service.html
Old 10-19-18, 10:53 AM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

I want to change it because I’m of the belief that nothing lasts forever...including WS transmission fluid. Over 95% of engineers of other car manufacturers feel that it is necessary to replace the fluid of their transmissions. I love the build quality and reliability of Toyota/Lexus, but I truly can’t believe that they have found the magic elements to put into fluid to make it last forever. I feel that each owner has a choice to make in maintaining their car. Neither is right or wrong, they are individual opinions. I’m not the “average” Lexus owner...I do all my own wrenching on my car. I keep my cars for an average of 15 years, so in my “opinion “, I change and maintain all the fluids regularly.
Old 10-19-18, 11:51 AM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if diy, you know to only check the ATF level between 95-115 degrees right? if too hot, the transmission will be underfilled and too cold will be overfilled.
Old 10-19-18, 12:33 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

From Lexus I learned that the target temp was between 104 and 111 degrees. I use an IR thermometer and an instant read handheld kitchen thermometer to read the fluid coming out the drain. What a pain...I would like to have words with the engineers that thought that they have “improved” on the transmission dip stick! Have they ever heard the adage “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”?!?
Old 10-21-18, 05:55 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Megapea
I would like to have words with the engineers that thought that they have “improved” on the transmission dip stick! Have they ever heard the adage “if it’s not broke, don’t fix it”?!?
It's lifetime fluid ...in other words "it ain't broke so don't fix it"
Old 10-21-18, 07:36 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

After draining the fluid and dropping the pan on Saturday, I’m glad I “fixed it”. The “lifetime fluid” was brownish, and the 2 magnets were covered in a superfine metallic dust. I personally feel better that new fluid is circulating through the 6 speed transmission. Again, it’s not a right or wrong decision, it’s all a personal choice. I enjoy doing maintenance on my vehicles, and feel good about doing it.
Old 10-22-18, 06:08 AM
Nelexus88
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

So, which is the return line? Assuming you did use the pump out method.
Old 10-22-18, 12:27 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

I never got clarification on which line was which. I just drained the fluid and then dropped the pan. I got out just shy of 4 quarts. The fluid was brownish and the old filter looked like I’d did it’s job, because the filter material had caught a bunch of fine debris. All in all, the job went pretty well. I’m glad I did it, and now knowing that there is about 4 fresh quarts of WS fluid in the system!
Old 10-22-18, 06:47 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Ok, based on the dire warnings of many Lexus service departments, changing the fluid is asking for trouble. As expected your old fluid sounds (looked) like it was expiring. How did you determine you had the fluid at the right level? Let us know how it performs in the coming weeks.

thanks.
Old 10-23-18, 12:32 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

Well as I stated, I got out almost 4 quarts. After buttoning up everything, I added 4 quarts of new fluid. I started the car and shifted through the gears several times. I kept checking the temperature of the transmission pan in several locations with my infra red thermometer. When the temperature reached 108 degrees ( I averaged the 104-111 degree target temperature) I opened the drain plug. Fluid flowed out and I verified the temperature of the fluid coming out with a Taylor instant read thermometer in the fluid stream. The fluid then slowed to a trickle, and I reinstalled the drain plug. I measured the fluid that came out and it was a little more than a half quart. Total fluid came out was equal to new fluid going in. I took it out for a test drive and shifted through the gears. She shifted buttery smooth, but to be fair...she did before the fluid change. With 50,000 miles on the car now, I’ll probably do it again at 75,000, then 100,000. That way, most of the original fluid will all be replaced.

Last edited by Megapea; 10-23-18 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Misspelled
The following users liked this post:
ReachJoe (11-15-19)
Old 10-23-18, 02:06 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like someone did it right. i plan on doing mine soon. i'm thinking about maxlife atf. but weber auto on youtube recently started posting about the history of atf on his channel. i'm waiting until he talks about toyota lexus atf before doing mine.
Old 10-23-18, 06:56 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

Please let us know what they report about Toyota/Lexus ATF. I too would like to go with the Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF. I’m a big believer in synthetic fluids. I use them in all my cars, and even in my zero turn mower. I figured since I was still under warranty, I would use the Toyota WS. I’ve read in many forums and on Vavolines own website that the Maxlife is compatible with the WS fluid.
Old 10-23-18, 07:04 PM
Megapea
Driver School Candidate

From Valvoline web page
Old 10-24-18, 04:43 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Megapea
... I figured since I was still under warranty, I would use the Toyota WS. ...
You may have just voided your transmission warranty.

"Transmission The transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission. Any repairs that require adding or replacing fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications."

Quick Reply: Transmission return line location