LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thoughts wanted on a 2002 LS430 UL I'm considering

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 07:04 PM
jt08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts wanted on a 2002 LS430 UL I'm considering

I've read through a lot of the "common issues" threads on here and have narrowed my search down to a 2 gen LS430 or GS300. This particular car is a 2002 LS430 UL with 192,000 miles on it and physically looks fantastic inside and out. It recently has new coil packs, water pump and timing belt. Here's my concerns:
1. the air ride suspension system - the seller says there's no problems with it that he knows of, but I understand from friends who own Mercedes that it can be expensive to fix. My current car is a 2005 Mercedes CLK500 and it's like a black hole of money sucking horror so perhaps the air suspension on the 430 is not as expensive to fix? Does anyone have experience with repairing an air suspension system
2. the Carfax shows one owner, but a) there are no service records on the Carfax since 2005 and b) no activity at the DMV since 2014

The seller says his brother purchased the car in 2014 and that they've been driving it with paper plates ever since, so that's why there's no DMV records. I can believe this is true because illegal paper plates are a big problem here in DFW. I have two coworkers who have had paper plates on their cars for years, gotten through friends or relatives who work at lower-end car dealerships. Since the car hasn't been inspected or registered since 2014, I don't know if it will pass an inspection. There are no CEL lights on and I have a code reader which I guess I can plug into the car and check for codes myself. The car is a good 1 1/2 hour drive from where I live and so I won't be able to take it to my trusted mechanic prior to purchase.

Should I be concerned about either of these issues? I am nervous about buying a car with problems like what happened to me with my current car, but my CLK had service records on it and still turned out to be a horror show.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts/advice.
Old 10-18-18, 07:14 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much are they asking? I always weigh the price against repairs or other headaches. Personally, unless it's dirt cheap I wouldn't bother with it.

If they didn't care enough to get it inspected and registered, how much care did they put into maintenance. Was it rebuilt after an accident maybe?..who knows. I do like that they've done the TB already...which is actually a little odd considering they couldn't be bothered to get it registered.
Old 10-18-18, 07:16 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

It is somewhat difficult to evaluate a situation like this without knowing the car's price and the buyer's budget. However, it sounds like you would be far better off with an LS with conventional suspension. The air suspension is expensive to repair - figure a minimum of a grand per corner. The alternative is to replace with conventional to the tune of about $1500.

What's the old saying - the most expensive car to own is a cheap Mercedes. That's not true with Lexus, but buying high mileage is an invitation with any brand that significant repairs lurk.
Old 10-18-18, 07:49 AM
jyates383
Driver School Candidate

How much are they asking? I bought my 02 UL with 150k on it for $4500 a few months ago if that helps. I took a gamble and got it from a super shady used car dealer with a reputation for selling garbage cars with hidden problems. Nothing mechanical wrong so far, more maintenance items and little things luckily. The maintenance records wouldn't scare me on a car like this if you know what you are looking for, but not being registered for the last 4 years is a little concerning. Although I am not familiar with the paper plate thing you spoke about. If you are really interested, get an inspection done and at the very least you will have leverage to negotiate if there are problems.
Old 10-18-18, 08:44 AM
jt08
Driver School Candidate

They are asking $3200 but I was definitely going to get that price down. The car is in good shape and is a light blue color that I like. Most LS and GS I see for sale are black or white and I don't want either of those colors.

I could spend up to $8000 but I prefer staying below $5000. I have no problem replacing the air ride suspension if I were to buy it, but the no registration/no tags/no insurance thing concerns me. And the paper plates I referred to are the temporary paper plates you get when you buy a car. Lots of illegal paper plates/temp tags around here.
Old 10-18-18, 08:59 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Although the LS430 is known for reliability and longevity I still feel that being close to 200,000 miles is a little much and being a UL you are definitely inviting expensive repairs in the future.
Old 10-18-18, 09:00 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So it sounds like they don't have a title? I don't have much experience with this stuff, but I'm sure you could get a bonded title (maybe?). You definitely need to sort this out first.
That sounds like a great price to me though, if it's had that work done and it's in great shape. Just check it out or have it checked out for structural damage and drive it around at all different speeds. If I had to guess, they are selling it cheap due to the title/registration issues. I recently paid more than that for my '01 (non UL) with 211K miles.
Old 10-18-18, 01:29 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Just checked the ad on that car....appears to have been ridden hard and put away wet...
I've seen better examples of 200k cars that were better taken car of...I mean I have a 2001 model with more miles that looks better than that.
I would stay away... if someone is not willing to register the car, wonder what else they not willing to do... living on the cheap and then you end up paying for it.
Pedigree of where the car comes from is as, if not more important, than the condition of the car itself.
I would not buy that and I've bought a few Lexus vehicles.

I'm also very familiar with that area of Garland... not a lot of money there. I'd rather buy a car out Frisco, Highland Park or North Dallas. That's worked for me in the past.
Old 10-18-18, 01:57 PM
jt08
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I will pass on thi one and move on to the GS300.
Old 10-18-18, 07:07 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

For your budget there are plenty of much newer way better LS430's out there. Im glad you decided to pass on it but don't give up on a 430 there are outstanding cars.
Old 10-20-18, 08:25 PM
homeynow
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A GS 430 is nice! A 300 with V6 is ok. I'm looking into the two routes also.

I saw an old guy driving a black 2002 LS 430 at the supermarket parking lot. I almost went over to him and asking if he is selling it. Good luck on your search.

Originally Posted by jt08
Thanks everyone. I will pass on thi one and move on to the GS300.
Old 10-20-18, 08:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Good plan on passing on that car. No inspection and paper tags for 4 years? One of the very best ways to increase the chance of getting totally ripped off on a car is to buy it from an obviously shady and unethical person.
Old 10-24-18, 10:07 AM
jt08
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I'm glad I passed on it. It's funny that two other Lexus I inquired about also ended up being unregistered for at least a year. I ended up with a real nice 2002 GS300 with a great leather interior, new radiator, brakes, timing belt, plugs, wires & coil packs and tires, all done this year. The owner was a Toyata technician. 178,000 miles, paid $5000. So I'm feeling good about it.

Quick Reply: Thoughts wanted on a 2002 LS430 UL I'm considering