LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ready to start looking- any advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 06:38 AM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ready to start looking- any advice

I am finally ready to buy an LS460. I've been watching threads here and have some questions.
I know I only want 2 wheel drive . Is the price jump from 2011 or 2012 worth it to go to a 2013 or 2014?
I'm pretty sure I want to get the newer version.
Is the L a better way to go? I am in the car by myself 99% of the time so passengers are seldom in the car with me and if they are it's generally just one. No kids.
Anything I should be looking out for?
Any must have or desired options? So far I only have Mark Levinson as a must have. Any other option I should put on my list?
As always you guys have always been a ton of help.
Old 10-17-18, 07:27 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by aslowdodge
I am finally ready to buy an LS460. I've been watching threads here and have some questions.
I know I only want 2 wheel drive . Is the price jump from 2011 or 2012 worth it to go to a 2013 or 2014?
I'm pretty sure I want to get the newer version.
Is the L a better way to go? I am in the car by myself 99% of the time so passengers are seldom in the car with me and if they are it's generally just one. No kids.
Anything I should be looking out for?
Any must have or desired options? So far I only have Mark Levinson as a must have. Any other option I should put on my list?
As always you guys have always been a ton of help.
I'm still learning about the LS460 myself but I'll toss out what I've researched about these so far and I'm sure someone will correct me if I have wrong info here.

Seems like the consensus is to get the newest model you can afford. I personally like the front grill on the 2013+ that a lot of users don't, however, I really like the interior on the 2010 - 2012 better. That's all going to be a personal preference. The 2013+ has the better door panels and dash that aren't supposed to have the melting look/feel of the previous models. The 2010 - 2012 are recommended to have the oil changed every 5k miles where the 2013+ does not and I believe it's 9 qts of oil so that will start adding up over time. For the most part I feel like the 2013+ has a majority of the bugs worked out.

From my understanding all "L" versions will have air suspension which can be very expensive to replace if they go bad. However, what I read is that for the most part the Mark Levinson is only available in the "L" version. I've asked about the sound of the ML vs non-ML in the 2013+ and is sounds like the non-ML is a good setup. With the LS430 the ML is pretty much a requirement in my book but it may not be as much so in the LS460.

I personally love the 19" 5 spoke wheels that come on the 2007 - 2012 so I will have to put that in my budget when I get to the point of getting serious about a LS460.
Old 10-17-18, 08:17 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 399 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I'm still learning about the LS460 myself but I'll toss out what I've researched about these so far and I'm sure someone will correct me if I have wrong info here.

Seems like the consensus is to get the newest model you can afford. I personally like the front grill on the 2013+ that a lot of users don't, however, I really like the interior on the 2010 - 2012 better. That's all going to be a personal preference. The 2013+ has the better door panels and dash that aren't supposed to have the melting look/feel of the previous models. The 2010 - 2012 are recommended to have the oil changed every 5k miles where the 2013+ does not and I believe it's 9 qts of oil so that will start adding up over time. For the most part I feel like the 2013+ has a majority of the bugs worked out.

From my understanding all "L" versions will have air suspension which can be very expensive to replace if they go bad. However, what I read is that for the most part the Mark Levinson is only available in the "L" version. I've asked about the sound of the ML vs non-ML in the 2013+ and is sounds like the non-ML is a good setup. With the LS430 the ML is pretty much a requirement in my book but it may not be as much so in the LS460.

I personally love the 19" 5 spoke wheels that come on the 2007 - 2012 so I will have to put that in my budget when I get to the point of getting serious about a LS460.
Almost everything stated above is accurate. Here's what is not accurate:
- Levinson can be found in the standard wheel base cars. It may be accurate to say that all LWB 460's come with Levinson but I am not certain on that.
- LWB cars can be found without air suspension, at least in the '07-'12 models (I own a 2010 L without air). I am not sure on 13+ but plenty of users here can comment on that.

Here are my opinions:
- When I was shopping, I preferred the interior styling of the 13+ but the exterior styling of the '10 to '12. Since that time, the 13+ has grown on me. If I was buying a car today, I'd buy a 13+ LWB and put the 19" 5 star wheels on it.
- I was apprehensive about the "mouse" in the 13+ vs. traditional touch screen in the '07 to '12. I think you get used to it but it's something to play with and experience for yourself.
- When I was shopping the price delta of a similarly equipped & similar mileage 2013 compared to a 2012 was about $10k. For me, I didn't see $10k in value so I stuck with shopping in the 2010 to 2012 era. I'm sure that delta has shrunk, but not sure to what extent as each market is slightly different. I think this will likely be what tips you in one direction vs. the other. You're going to pay a premium to get into the 13+ body style- it just depends if it's worth it to you.
- I was not specifically looking for an L, but now that I own one, I think it's what I'll exclusively shop for moving forward. Even if you rarely/never have rear passengers, the car has a better road presence due to the longer wheel base and it rides better.
- I think most L's come with semi-aniline leather - this is a really nice upgrade. My car has it and having driven about 15 other 460's as I was shopping that didn't have it, the difference was noticeable.
- I can never remember the specifics of the CPO program, but you may be able to find a 2014 that qualifies for CPO. That may give you some protection on the air suspension in the event of failure - that's really the only big ticket expense I'd be concerned about. The hydraulic suspension on our LX was leaking and it was around $2k to replace but was covered under CPO.

2013 and beyond seems to have most of the bugs worked out of the things that hit some of the '07 to early 2010 models. I view the 13+ interior as a substantial upgrade cosmetically and like the leather stitching in areas not found on the 07-12. You can't make a bad choice... good luck.
Old 10-17-18, 08:54 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Although not sure that I'll buy, I have been shopping 460s hard for almost 2 months (the chase is a great part of the fun!). Based on what the OP said, spending extra for an L does not really seem merited. It appears that they constitute about only 20% of available units and typically more than half of those are AWD. So, there are far more SWB cars to choose among. And, of course, they cost less than L models. The price difference between early and late 4th generation cars still seems to be roughly 10 grand, a hard pill for many to swallow. At some point this gap should narrow, but who know when that will be.

If one focuses on later cars, the 2 must have options were both inexpensive ($500 each) when new and so are pretty common: blind spot monitoring/cross traffic alert and the semi-aniline interior. Air suspension is fairly rare - some love it while others avoid it like the plague.
Old 10-17-18, 01:21 PM
aslowdodge
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the price spread is still hovering at about $10k for the 2013 and pre 2013?
Old 10-17-18, 01:36 PM
mahad
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Having owned a 2012 LS, 2011 LS, and now the 13+ LS, it is fairly easy for me to say that the price jump is worth it. I wanted the LWB model specifically and got my latest car without compromises. I think the SWB model will be a better buy for you, as you don't need the extra legroom and the LS is already one of the most quiet and comfortable cars on the road. I loved the exterior styling of my '12 LS but the newer one has grown on me. It looks more modern, and I could stare at those taillights all day. Really, you cant go wrong with any car. Obviously, the newer model car will be more modern than the 10-12 style, but IMHO the price jump is well worth it. You should be able to pick up a RWD '13 or '14 with decent miles for around $28k-$33k. Good luck.
Old 10-17-18, 01:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Almost everything stated above is accurate. Here's what is not accurate:
- Levinson can be found in the standard wheel base cars. It may be accurate to say that all LWB 460's come with Levinson but I am not certain on that.
- LWB cars can be found without air suspension, at least in the '07-'12 models (I own a 2010 L without air). I am not sure on 13+ but plenty of users here can comment on that.

Here are my opinions:
- When I was shopping, I preferred the interior styling of the 13+ but the exterior styling of the '10 to '12. Since that time, the 13+ has grown on me. If I was buying a car today, I'd buy a 13+ LWB and put the 19" 5 star wheels on it.
- I was apprehensive about the "mouse" in the 13+ vs. traditional touch screen in the '07 to '12. I think you get used to it but it's something to play with and experience for yourself.
- When I was shopping the price delta of a similarly equipped & similar mileage 2013 compared to a 2012 was about $10k. For me, I didn't see $10k in value so I stuck with shopping in the 2010 to 2012 era. I'm sure that delta has shrunk, but not sure to what extent as each market is slightly different. I think this will likely be what tips you in one direction vs. the other. You're going to pay a premium to get into the 13+ body style- it just depends if it's worth it to you.
- I was not specifically looking for an L, but now that I own one, I think it's what I'll exclusively shop for moving forward. Even if you rarely/never have rear passengers, the car has a better road presence due to the longer wheel base and it rides better.
- I think most L's come with semi-aniline leather - this is a really nice upgrade. My car has it and having driven about 15 other 460's as I was shopping that didn't have it, the difference was noticeable.
- I can never remember the specifics of the CPO program, but you may be able to find a 2014 that qualifies for CPO. That may give you some protection on the air suspension in the event of failure - that's really the only big ticket expense I'd be concerned about. The hydraulic suspension on our LX was leaking and it was around $2k to replace but was covered under CPO.

2013 and beyond seems to have most of the bugs worked out of the things that hit some of the '07 to early 2010 models. I view the 13+ interior as a substantial upgrade cosmetically and like the leather stitching in areas not found on the 07-12. You can't make a bad choice... good luck.
Great points caverman and jrmckinley. I am also confirming that 460L is available without the air suspension. I have a 2013 short wheelbase ultra luxury and am thinking of swapping for a long wheelbase (LWB). It is very slim pickings for the 'L' and I actually have not come across a LWB with air suspension. After having sufficient playing time with the air suspension, I default to Normal anyways and can do without the air suspension (and future repair cost). I have always wanted the LWB and started out looking for one in the 2007-2012 model years. I love our 2013 460 too and its amenities, but just wish it had the extra few inches of rear legroom. I am willing to give up my air suspension and reclining rear seat/rear AC/side-curtain sunshades/massaging rear seats/4-zone climate control if I can find a long wheelbase for similar cost. What I don't like is that some 2015 models don't even have rear heated seats! The rear armrest can look like this:

Old 10-17-18, 01:45 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

You should be looking to trade me that Viper for my LS!
Old 10-17-18, 01:50 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

^^ That doesn't necessarily mean they don't have heated rear seats, for those without the backseat upgrades but with the Cold Weather package, the buttons are underneath the lid of that armrest. The armrest itself has 2 buttons: one to slide it back and access those controls, the other to raise the lid completely to access storage.
Old 10-17-18, 02:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by mahad
Having owned a 2012 LS, 2011 LS, and now the 13+ LS, it is fairly easy for me to say that the price jump is worth it. I wanted the LWB model specifically and got my latest car without compromises. I think the SWB model will be a better buy for you, as you don't need the extra legroom and the LS is already one of the most quiet and comfortable cars on the road. I loved the exterior styling of my '12 LS but the newer one has grown on me. It looks more modern, and I could stare at those taillights all day. Really, you cant go wrong with any car. Obviously, the newer model car will be more modern than the 10-12 style, but IMHO the price jump is well worth it. You should be able to pick up a RWD '13 or '14 with decent miles for around $28k-$33k. Good luck.
That basically sealed it for me as well. If I'm going to spend $30K+ for a used LS, I want it to stay modern and fresh for as long as can be and that is why I went with the 2013. Heck, the 13-17 still looks similar to the current LS 500; at least more so than the 07-12. I like all years of the LS but the interiors of the 07-12 looked dated. When we had an 06 LS 430, it bothered me that my wife's 06 ES 330 door handles had leather and felt nicer than my "flagship" LS. Of course, leather door panels was not the only reason for going with the 2013 refresh. I also preferred the exterior styling, especially the taillights, and I much prefer the interior layout and materials. I also think the DRL and LED headlights on the 2013 look better than pre-2013. I still dislike the remote touch controller mouse. After a year and a half, it is still not very precise. Fortunately, there are still physical controls to avoid using the mouse for most things. That said, don't spend beyond your means just for a 2013. You will get more enjoyment out of a car that makes financial sense to you. When I see other 07-12 LSes on the road, they still cut a nice silhouette and are still wonderful cars. The long wheelbase option though really sets the car apart on the road and for passengers, regardless of model year.
Old 10-17-18, 02:02 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by 213374U
^^ That doesn't necessarily mean they don't have heated rear seats, for those without the backseat upgrades but with the Cold Weather package, the buttons are underneath the lid of that armrest. The armrest itself has 2 buttons: one to slide it back and access those controls, the other to raise the lid completely to access storage.
OH, a la LS 430-style. Thanks, 213374U. I also recall @SW17LS saying his 2015 completely lacked rear heated seats. At first I thought he was mistaken but he has the car and would know. I still thought it odd until I saw the photo above. Now I am curious what really resides in the compartment below the slide-away armrest.
Old 10-17-18, 02:54 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

I must say I'm very happy with my '11 SWB AWD with regular suspension. I took it on a 957.3 mile trip last weekend (yeah, I did set the trip odometer), and there were times when I shut the music off and just enjoyed the quiet magic-carpet ride. It's a great car for eating up the miles. I averaged 24.8 mpg, which is not bad considering I crossed the Poconos on my way to Ohio and back.
Old 10-17-18, 04:38 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I am also an owner of a 2011 LS460 lwb with NO air suspension. That is the main reason I bought it. I specifically wanted an L because to my own eye when you look at a lwb and sob from the side the lwb had better styling to me than a swb. Don't know why that is just how it looks to me. Also wanted the extra room in the back people go nuts when they sit in the back and see all that room its great. I know you said you would rarely use it. The Lwb is not too long and is totally practice for everyday use. With all this being said, now the prices on the 13+ are starting to come down, I have been looking every once in a while to upgrade just waiting for the right car to come along at my local dealer that excited me enough to head down there and make a deal. There are still a plethora of 2007-2009 body style LS's on the road in my area so don't worry about driving an outdated style. People tend to keep their LS's for a while. I buy the best car I can afford that is what makes me the happiest when I drive it.
Old 10-17-18, 05:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by 213374U
Test drove a 2015 460L an hour ago. In great condition and had perforated rear seats, but no rear seat temperature controls whatsoever!

Old 10-17-18, 06:17 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree that you'll want the ML stereo for sure. Blind spot monitoring / cross traffic alert. I live where it gets cold, so the heated steering wheel and rear seats are nice.

Quick Reply: Ready to start looking- any advice