RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 12:00 PM
iKamboj
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay

So, I have a 2017 RCF and love everything about it besides the dated interface that Lexus has on it. I recently came across an article about the newly redesigned RC's and was infuriated to see that it now has the new interface along with Apple CarPlay standard on the vehicles. With that being said, does anyone here know how to either add Apple CarPlay to the RCF's or entirely be able to get the new interface that is offered on many of the other 2017/2018 Lexus Vehicles? Maybe even change out the old screen for the bigger one like on the 10th anniversary editions?
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (10-18-18)
Old 10-16-18, 12:29 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by iKamboj
So, I have a 2017 RCF and love everything about it besides the dated interface that Lexus has on it. I recently came across an article about the newly redesigned RC's and was infuriated to see that it now has the new interface along with Apple CarPlay standard on the vehicles. With that being said, does anyone here know how to either add Apple CarPlay to the RCF's or entirely be able to get the new interface that is offered on many of the other 2017/2018 Lexus Vehicles? Maybe even change out the old screen for the bigger one like on the 10th anniversary editions?
why would you be infuriated? new model year, new offerings it is what it is. Changing out the radio at the cost of several thousand just to get Carplay? Really? just trade up for a 2019+

no 2017/2018 Lexus has Carplay, only the 2019 ES at this point as far as I know. the 2018 RCF got a bigger screen with split features like some of the other Lexus models, but it is the same overall interface.
Old 10-16-18, 02:20 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Exactly, new model. They introduce new features to get buyers. You can tell they sand bagged the 15 screen with the huge border on the screen. I'm a little annoyed and envious but it is what it is.

Look into the beat Sonic harness to bypass the navigation and mirror your iPhone. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (10-16-18)
Old 10-16-18, 05:22 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

If you want to upgrade it then pretty much your only bet is to find a wrecked 2019 RC and purchase the screen out of it which will cost plenty and hope it is compatible.

Your best option though is to buy an iPhone screen mirroring kit if it bothers you THAT much.

Or or spend the money and trade in your car for the newer one.
Old 10-17-18, 11:09 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I have seen this before: http://www.navtool.com/lexus-rc-2015...e-carplay.aspx

Not sure how it is. Get it at your own risk. I myself enjoyed using carplay on a rental car recently. Would love to add it on my 2015 Lexus RCF.
Old 10-17-18, 09:16 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

All my cars have carplay. I will not purchase a vehicle without it. To the OP, just trade-in if you really want carplay.
Old 10-18-18, 06:51 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

Personally, I am EXTREMELY happy with my 2017 and have mastered the entire Nav/Infotainment System with ease.
This BeatSonic system here is for our Model Year, and is something on my Wish List. No way I'd be able to connect this harness myself, so Im holding off until I find someone with mad electrical skills to assist. Definitely not infuriated about it, but absolutely agree it should come standard on ALL Lexus vehicles, but who am I to say so? What I REALLY would like to find is someone here who has had this installed for "Android Auto" - and if they are truly happy with it (Sorry to Hijack an Apple Thread. FWIW Im typing this from my MacBook Pro)**If anyone reading this has actually had a BeatSonic System installed for Android- PLEASE send me a PM?