IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Anti-Glare Nav Screen Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-18, 05:30 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Anti-Glare Nav Screen Replacement

Some 2014-2015 IS models are covered under the base warranty for an unusually-scratched anti-glare Nav screen. Mine was, but I don't trust my dealer, plus my warranty was ending, so I just bought the screen myself and installed it on my own.

If your ride is past warranty and you want to change yours, I've written some rough instructions below for intermediate to advanced DIYers. Hope this helps someone.

Old vs New, with some CF touches

The kit

Pry off the cover piece in front of the screen

Remove the two 10mm bolts, and then pull the screen towards you until the clips loosen from their slots, and then ease the screen downward

Remove the blue and black harness, and the most annoying part of the job is trying to get that harness docking point off circled. Get some needlenose pliers and work it away from the bracket, then remove the screen

Remove the bracket from the screen by loosening the two 8mm bolts. Note the position and how its mounted when you need to put it back

Flip the screen back (keep a cloth on your workbench so nothing scratches or rolls away) and remove 6 silver screws. Pictured are 3 on one side. You can't miss them. Have some tweezers to pull them out as needed

There are two locking claws. Pry them up with a small flathead screwdriver, and then separate carefully. It should separate pretty easily. Again, note how it comes apart so you know how to put it back together

The back piece can separate too

Install is reverse of removal. When you close up shop, make sure there are no gaps between the new screen and the backing
Old 10-15-18, 11:24 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So is the new replacement part resistant to those scratches or will it look the same after a few years?
Old 10-16-18, 04:27 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghza
So is the new replacement part resistant to those scratches or will it look the same after a few years?
Correct, it's a new and improved part apparently and should not mar.
Old 10-16-18, 05:20 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Oh I wish somebody with a replaced screen and too much money would try to clean the replacement screen cover with a cloth and see if it scratches or not
The cost of the replacement part is not too much if it actually would stay nice, but if it will eventually start marring again, it would be a lot more sensible to just wipe the anti-glare coating off and install an aftermarket anti-glare cover onto it.
Old 10-16-18, 05:56 AM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi, Where did you get your screen from? Mine did not have any scratches but I notice mine have tons of circles with differing sizes almost like some kind of liquid spills.. I suspect the guy doing my windshield tint drip their cleaner on the screen causing it.. I was going to try wipe it away but did not get to it till 2 weeks later and by then, whatever I used, did not work...
Old 10-16-18, 08:26 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

PARTS, MULTI-DISPLAY
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...134-53030.html $62.23
PN: 86134-53030
Old 10-16-18, 08:39 AM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 350phi
PARTS, MULTI-DISPLAY
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...134-53030.html $62.23
PN: 86134-53030
Thank you, but I was actually hoping to get just the new improved anti glare screen like the OP with the touch of carbon fiber instead of a whole replacement nav from lexus. I think they are different if im not wrong
Old 10-16-18, 10:42 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

This is the part you see in the OPs post. You can add carbon vinyl yourself if you wish.
Old 10-17-18, 10:38 AM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

I see, thanks
Old 10-17-18, 05:16 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Ajowhan (10-17-18)
Old 10-17-18, 05:56 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I just cleaned all of the factory coating off, and then trimmed a tablet anti-glare screen protector to fit. Better than new, and now scuff and scratch resistant.
You can also order custom sized screen protectors from here... https://www.photodon.com/custom-screen-protector.html
Old 10-17-18, 06:24 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice write up. I had this problem with my car, and the Lexus dealership replaced it under warranty. They claimed mine was the 1st IS that they had seen, but this was a known problem with the NX. After a little research they went ahead and replaced it. Just curious about why you don't trust your dealership?
Old 10-17-18, 06:47 PM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
I just cleaned all of the factory coating off, and then trimmed a tablet anti-glare screen protector to fit. Better than new, and now scuff and scratch resistant.
You can also order custom sized screen protectors from here... https://www.photodon.com/custom-screen-protector.html
How did you cleaned all of the factory coating?
Old 10-17-18, 06:50 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajowhan
How did you cleaned all of the factory coating?
Windex and a microfiber towel, and a lot of rubbing. Used my finger behind the towel and sprayed windex on the end. Only took about 2 minutes to clean it all off. DO NOT use paper towels. I used a brand new microfiber towel to ensure there were no foreign particles or trash in it.
The following users liked this post:
Ajowhan (10-17-18)
Old 10-17-18, 06:53 PM
Ajowhan
Pit Crew

Okay, I think I might try that instead

Quick Reply: Anti-Glare Nav Screen Replacement