LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

transmission making whining noise recently

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 05:57 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Default transmission making whining noise recently

So since the weather has gotten colder this past week, in the 40s vs. 70s-80s, my 97 LS w/ A340E has been making a transmission noise when idling and when revving.

I did a Toyota T4 fluid change about a month and a half ago and everything was normal, no metallic shavings in the fluid, even looked pretty red and healthy, probably didn't need to do it.

I checked the fluid level now and its still fine, and color is nice and pinkish red with no leaks. I don't feel any odd vibrations, and the car still drives normal, but this noise is worrying me with the winter coming up.

Also, something weird its always done....the transmission shift selector never highlights D until the engine has warmed up for a few minutes of driving, is this typical? or a sign of something else not functioning as it should? car has 294k on it.

Here is video of the noise, maybe someone has experienced this before?

Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-15-18 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-14-18, 11:17 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13cY5IxG3o1adeqRH4S9IqnecrUwhhn6W/view?usp=drivesdk

That's mine, been doing it since I got it 3 months ago
Old 10-14-18, 11:29 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by Sin1UZFE
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13cY5IxG3o1adeqRH4S9IqnecrUwhhn6W/view?usp=drivesdk

That's mine, been doing it since I got it 3 months ago
I'm going to try a drain and refill tomorrow and see if that helps it out any, but I really think this noise is a bearing or gear related....the fluid condition looked perfect and healthy from what the dipstick pulled up. Just over 20k miles ago, I did 3 consecutive drain and refills as well as replaced the transmission filter and lockup solenoid since it had a P0770 code pop up along with the tranny shuddering when coming to a stop. This was close to 2 yrs ago though.
Old 10-14-18, 11:44 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Losiracer2
I'm going to try a drain and refill tomorrow and see if that helps it out any, but I really think this noise is a bearing or gear related....the fluid condition looked perfect and healthy from what the dipstick pulled up. Just over 20k miles ago, I did 3 consecutive drain and refills as well as replaced the transmission filter and lockup solenoid since it had a P0770 code pop up along with the tranny shuddering when coming to a stop. This was close to 2 yrs ago though.

Had the fluid drained and refilled 2 weeks ago noise didn't go away. I hope it's something that doesn't require a rebuild
Old 10-15-18, 12:27 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Had the fluid drained and refilled 2 weeks ago noise didn't go away. I hope it's something that doesn't require a rebuild
Well, good news is I found one for $75 nearby me if I do need one, said CORE PARTS ONLY though, not sure what that means. But also found a confirmed tested one with under 100k about 150 miles from me if I do need to go get it on this video:

Old 10-15-18, 07:46 AM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

That "american flag" LS400 they are parting out looks like it was nice! Its a shame it was rear ended. What's wrong with drivers these days? Texting or what?

I'll bet that front seat won't last long.

Cant help with diagnosing that sound Losiracer. Wow, it makes a racket even while parked without driveshaft turning .

Last edited by dveneman; 10-15-18 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-15-18, 09:14 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm afraid your tranny is on its way out. I also have a 97 LS400 bought it when it was a year old so I have it for 20 years now. I've been taking great care of the car all these years & always drained the tranny fluid w/ Toyota Transmission Fluid Type T-IV at every 25K miles interval. The tranny lasted until 240K miles then started to slip & made noises. Had a trusted local tranny shop to rebuild the tranny last year. The torque converter was bad & all the soft parts were hardened like rock. Car is shifting silky smooth again. If yours is in great shape & you plan to keep it for a long time then you may want to think about overhauling the tranny. Good luck.
Old 10-15-18, 10:19 AM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

Originally Posted by Superfast1
I'm afraid your tranny is on its way out. I also have a 97 LS400 bought it when it was a year old so I have it for 20 years now. I've been taking great care of the car all these years & always drained the tranny fluid w/ Toyota Transmission Fluid Type T-IV at every 25K miles interval. The tranny lasted until 240K miles then started to slip & made noises. Had a trusted local tranny shop to rebuild the tranny last year. The torque converter was bad & all the soft parts were hardened like rock. Car is shifting silky smooth again. If yours is in great shape & you plan to keep it for a long time then you may want to think about overhauling the tranny. Good luck.
Shifts are smooth and quick, it's just the noise. I already got a $1400 quote to install a rebuilt tranny. Just in case
Old 10-15-18, 02:56 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Originally Posted by Superfast1
So should I not bother with trying to do a drain and fill with a new filter? I'm trying to figure out what that noise is, it seemed to develop very suddenly when it got colder out last Thursday and now won't go away. It is really bad when the engine is cold but goes away slightly when warmed up. Could it be a clogged filter you think?
Old 10-16-18, 08:53 AM
Superfast1
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

There's a different between a flush & a drain. A flush will requires about 10 quarts whereas a drain will only takes a little more than a quart. Since the car is so old & I presume the tranny is still original, flushing may actually do more harm than good. You should give it a try to drain & refill & see what happen. You can also replace the filter but that requires more work as you will have to unbolt the dipstick & drop the pan. If you want to go this route, make sure to get the Toyota gasket maker material for the pan rather than using a pre-cut corked or rubber gasket as it will leak on you.
Old 10-16-18, 04:50 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Well, good news is I found one for $75 nearby me if I do need one, said CORE PARTS ONLY though, not sure what that means.
Parts only means it's only good for parts, like sensors and stuff. When ya buy a rebuilt tranny from the junkyard, or wherever, you give them your old tranny or they charge ya $75-$100.
Old 10-16-18, 09:06 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

The noise is completely gone! I think I solved the problem. The transmission was night and day quiet after I did this filter and drain and fill. My gear indicator lights also function better now too, before they didn't illuminate until the car was driving for a few minutes.

So I did the transmission filter this afternoon and WHOA! it was dirty! The mesh screen was covered with grit, though the fluid didn't have any metal shavings, and neither did the magnets. I last did it at 275k, so maybe I need to do a filter every so often now since the tranny is getting up there in miles, only took me about 2 hrs taking my time and cleaning gunk off the dipstick tube. Did a drain and fill of 3 qts Toyota T-IV fluid.

Check out the results:

Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-16-18 at 09:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Losiracer2:
EricInCa (12-23-20), spuds (10-17-18)
Old 10-16-18, 09:11 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

The noise is completely gone! I think I solved the problem. The transmission was night and day quiet after I did this filter and drain and fill. My gear indicator lights also function better now too, before they didn't illuminate until the car was driving for a few minutes.

So I did the transmission filter this afternoon and WHOA! it was dirty! The mesh screen was covered with grit, though the fluid didn't have any metal shavings, and neither did the magnets. I last did it at 275k, so maybe I need to do a filter every so often now since the tranny is getting up there in miles, only took me about 2 hrs taking my time and cleaning gunk off the dipstick tube. Did a drain and fill of 3 qts Toyota T-IV fluid.

Check out the results:

Noise gone?
Old 10-16-18, 09:15 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Noise gone?
YEP! All I hear now is the engine running and fuel injectors firing. Transmission is very quiet now, don't hear any noise from that area of the car now. No more tapping or whining power steering pump noise. I really hope this solved it.

I got a email back from that guy with the 100k low mileage Lexus in the YouTube video and he wants $522.50 + 195 shipping for the trans which is too much for me.

-Tranny filter was $15 at Napa, since they didn't have a gasket in the box, Made in USA (Indiana)
-FelPro trans pan gasket for $6.99 at Autozone (wasn't rubber but not cork either, not paper but pretty thick yet pliable)
-2 qts of Toyota T4 were $4.96 ea. at Toyota with my parts supplier discount I already had 1.5 qts left over from my last drain and fill 2 months ago.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-16-18 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 09:33 PM
Sin1UZFE
Racer

YEP! All I hear now is the engine running and fuel injectors firing. Transmission is very quiet now, don't hear any noise from that area of the car now. No more tapping or whining power steering pump noise. I really hope this solved it.

I got a email back from that guy with the 100k low mileage Lexus in the YouTube video and he wants $522.50 + 195 shipping for the trans which is too much for me.

-Tranny filter was $15 at Napa, since they didn't have a gasket in the box, Made in USA (Indiana)
-FelPro trans pan gasket for $6.99 at Autozone (wasn't rubber but not cork either, not paper but pretty thick yet pliable)
-2 qts of Toyota T4 were $4.96 ea. at Toyota with my parts supplier discount.
Nice! Congrats

Quick Reply: transmission making whining noise recently