IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 105k $18k?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 05:39 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts
Default 08 105k $18k?

I know these threads are annoying. Sorry in advance.

Good black paint. Dealer pin stripe this been partly buffer off. Has melted doors panels. Accident in the rear quarter with a slight mis aligned trunk on one side. Front hood and fender painted after first owner traded it. Front bumper cover is loose and misaligned and the front headlights need replaced. Good tires and new battery. There’s no sign of valley plate problems and the water pump has been replaced. The engine harness isn’t in good shape, but hasn’t been tapped up either.

It it doesn’t seem like he’s going to come down any more. Is this a fair price? KBB indicates $17.5 in good condition. I figure some lost value due to the accident. There’s no others anywhere nearby so it’s this car or something else altogether.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-18, 06:20 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

way too high for an 08. Especially with 100k+ and an accident and other problems. I personally wouldn't even consider that car. let him keep it and find yourself a better deal.
Old 10-14-18, 06:41 PM
McPierson
Instructor

I don’t want to mischaricterize: the trunk isn’t noticeable unless you feel for it. Maybe 3/16 proud. The harness isn’t tampered with. It’s just the common problem I’ve read about. Still not great.

My situatuion is either this or an 14/15 IS350 f sport or possible GS460 or CTSV or the like.

I didnt really consider how hard some of these might have been driven. So I’m basically closed to the idea of having something shipped in. Obvoiously that increases the cost as well.
Old 10-14-18, 06:41 PM
GS4VIPbOSS
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accident drop this one - a better one will be out there
Old 10-14-18, 07:05 PM
McPierson
Instructor

Edmunds says it’s worth 12... ok close and lock. Thanks for saving me. I just had my LS 400 totaled and I know how the insurance company would treat this car in a settlement.
Old 10-15-18, 06:22 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is not bad. I would buy it after a PPI. Idk how cheap your local market is but here a 2008 with 100k+ miles is 22-23k so I minor accident is giving you a nice 4k discount.

As long as it drives straight and frame is not bent I would buy. You are getting an ISF that some of these guy pay close to 40k for (the low mileage '12s) for less than half the price.
Old 10-15-18, 08:40 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Originally Posted by ninten5
That is not bad. I would buy it after a PPI. Idk how cheap your local market is but here a 2008 with 100k+ miles is 22-23k so I minor accident is giving you a nice 4k discount.

As long as it drives straight and frame is not bent I would buy. You are getting an ISF that some of these guy pay close to 40k for (the low mileage '12s) for less than half the price.
This is sort of what I was thinking when I started the thread actually. The only thing is that 22-23 is list price and it seems to me that the ACV is more like 19.5 for a very good example. I think it's worth a bit more to me because, honestly there's no other cars i.e. paying for shipping and knowing exactly what I'm buying. I don't like Black though.

I've already done the PPI myself. No problems with LCA bushings or bent structure from the accident. On the other hand, I already have owned cars that were in accidents and they were never as good as OEM. I did notice over the weekend he dropped the list price $1k.
Old 10-15-18, 09:27 AM
ninten5
Driver

yeah dude, an ISF be it a 2008 or a 2014. looks the same (ok a check mark on the headlights big deaaal), brakes, engine, trans all same. unless you actually are the Stig and race a lot, LSD is not needed to hoon on the streets. And 100k is like break-in in these cars. idk about you but I rather buy a car locally so i can see it and drive it and whats a thousand bucks compared to spending weeks or a month hunting for another.
Old 10-15-18, 09:36 AM
McPierson
Instructor

So you're saying I can hoon this on the streets? That's got to be worth something...
Old 10-15-18, 10:55 AM
ninten5
Driver

maaaaaan i used to hoon a 97 honda accord back in high school. you shoud def be able to hoon this on the street.
Old 10-15-18, 12:08 PM
McPierson
Instructor

E-BRAKE! haha
Old 10-16-18, 04:14 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Pass. Rear quarters that aren’t repaired right rust. Clearly this wasn’t repaired right. Sounds like it’s been hit and poorly fixed in many spots. It needs a lot of money to be right.

Go “hoon” on an 08-09 and then come “hoon” on mine... your opinion about LSD will change within 3 corners. .
Old 10-16-18, 06:53 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Pass. Rear quarters that aren’t repaired right rust. Clearly this wasn’t repaired right. Sounds like it’s been hit and poorly fixed in many spots. It needs a lot of money to be right.

Go “hoon” on an 08-09 and then come “hoon” on mine... your opinion about LSD will change within 3 corners. .
This is a fair point. Both repairs were through the Lexus dealership, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I'm thinking the front bumper cover is related to abuse and not the front spray, which seemed like more of a touch up affair.

I totally agree with the LSD comment. I've not looking into it, but I assumed the rear diff could be upgraded. That's a bonus of getting a car for less $ and using the reserves to change things around.

For the record, my intention isn't driving around ripping it. I hope to attend some SCCA or even NASA events, though that's a long haul. Mostly I want something that's exciting to drive to work in. I ride a 2-stroke to work when it's nice, but I have a 1.5 year old and that's really cutting into my commute excitement.

Rust is a bad deal. The car came from the south, and the current owner doesn't really drive it. I doubt it's been exposed to salt... yet. I would most certainly expose it to residual road salt.

I think these dreams die hard, so please understand my comments come from a place of gratitude and not argument.
Old 10-16-18, 01:39 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

No worries.

as to the rear end upgrade. It’s expensive unless your extremely lucky. Only 10-14 has LSD. So most of the Fs on the road are open diff. The most were produced in 08-09. So many people want the OEM diffs. I’m even looking for one for my 350.

you can go aftermarket, but a good diff for that is about 1900 plus install.

Run a carfax. That will tell you if it has ever seen salt based on location and mileage driven there.

F is a great dual purpose car. My 2 year old loves it.
Old 10-16-18, 08:24 PM
McPierson
Instructor

The Carfax and the Lexus service match up almost line for line. So almost all work was done in Texas. It lived in Louis Anna for a year and now spent a year in Missouri.

Quick Reply: 08 105k $18k?