LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What a let down. so angry

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 01:44 AM
yakimaBluz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a let down. so angry

I bought a 2008 LS460 with only 25,000 miles on it. Mint condition, beautiful opalite color. 20" wheels. Nice.
Purchased extended warranty for it.. Good thing I did!!

After 3 weeks of owning it : computer in the dash goes on it's ***. Done! Extended warranty picked up 1,700 dollar fix.
About 6 weeks later : headlights stop working at night. 700.00 dollars later, I have new headlights. Really???? 700.00 ?? wear and tear issue. I PAID for it.. dearly!
About 3 months ago : the fuel pump apparently is leaking and needs to be replaced : Extended warranty costs 700'sh dollars.
About 2 weeks ago : Brake Actuator fails!! : Oooh about 2,500 dollars!! Yep.. still waiting to see if my extended warranty is going to cover it. I'm praying they do, because if they don't, the car will suffer tremendously.
I'm NOT giving Lexus any more money!! F! them!! And their products.. Sorry.. I'm just really not happy right now.

What a piece of garbage this lexus has been. I should of bought a bike or skateboard!!! What a joke!!

-Brian

Last edited by yakimaBluz; 10-13-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 03:33 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by yakimaBluz
I bought a 2008 LS460 with only 25,000 miles on it. Mint condition, beautiful opalite color. 20" wheels. Nice.
Purchased extended warranty for it.. Good thing I did!!

After 3 weeks of owning it : ECU computer goes on it's ***. Done! Extended warranty picked up 1,700 dollar fix.
About 6 weeks later : headlights stop working at night. 700.00 dollars later, I have new headlights. Really???? 700.00 ?? wear and tear issue. I PAID for it.. dearly!
About 3 months ago : the fuel pump apparently is leaking and needs to be replaced : Extended warranty costs 700'sh dollars.
About 2 weeks ago : Brake Actuator fails!! : Oooh about 2,500 dollars!! Yep.. still waiting to see if my extended warranty is going to cover it. I'm praying they do, because if they don't, the car will suffer tremendously.
I'm NOT giving Lexus any more money!! F! them!! And their products.. Sorry.. I'm just really not happy right now.

What a piece of garbage this lexus has been. I should of bought a bike or skateboard!!! What a joke!!

-Brian
I hear you. Luckily you have the extended warranty. I have not had the luck that others on this forum have had with their LS’s, but still has been better than other manufacturers. Lexus is not perfect and they do have issues, especially on the older 460. Try and stay upbeat and hopefully the worst is behind you and you can begin to enjoy your vehicle. Best of luck!
The following users liked this post:
yakimaBluz (10-13-18)
Old 10-13-18, 05:08 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

You bought a crappy 10+ year old used car. It happens. Good luck in the future.

Sounds like your car was a salvage or lemon. Might want to check it’s “short” history.
Old 10-13-18, 07:01 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

When you say "headlights failed", what failed with them? The bulbs refused to light?

I don't know what was replaced, other than, it was not the housings, if they were new.

Did they replace a ballast?

ECU was replaced, eh? What happened with the old one, did the car just not start, or what?

Last edited by mckellyb; 10-13-18 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 07:34 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

There needs to be more to this story, let's start with the car- what do you know about it, please enlighten us with additional details?
Old 10-13-18, 08:29 AM
ShaneAlan
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds like a flood vehicle!,
Old 10-13-18, 08:33 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Guy walks into a bar and says...bartender I'll take a 10 year old salvage vehicle.

No honestly what you are saying is so rare on these cars that I honestly can't say I've even heard of half of it happened before.
Old 10-13-18, 08:35 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

A little frustrating reading the OP's comments. Not knowing what fact finding was done prior, it's hard to say whether the car should or should not have been bought. Considering the CPO has paid for most of the problems and have helped to bring the car back to 2018 standards, I fail to understand the frustration. Not sure about those lights. Mine went out and it cost me two light bulbs and the help of a friend. When it comes to out of warranty non covered repairs, it's best to find a local service shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus vehicles. Lexus dealerships love to charge for their repairs. Otherwise, the car, once a $70K plus car (10 years ago), is what it is: a used car. Bring it back to it's glory and enjoy the ride. Or don't and sell it.
Old 10-13-18, 08:49 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

The engine computer is a klaxon. There's no way that fails on a ten year old, 25K mile car.

The fact it has only 25K miles on it raises an eyebrow, too.

I wonder if the car was originally sold in Hawaii, because I don't think flood damage is all that common in the state, and it's not like you're going to just sell it in another state to 'wash' the title.
Old 10-13-18, 09:33 AM
Nzaw4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CPO on an 08? You would have had to bought that in 2013 to even qualify it for CPO.

So after 5 years of owning the car, these repairs like head lights surprise you? OP can you afford to repair the car?
Old 10-13-18, 09:57 AM
yakimaBluz
Driver School Candidate

I bought it over a year ago... but still yes, about 10 years old. About 36,000 miles on it now.
History report : One owner (prior to me). No accidents, maintained regularly at the dealership.

Last edited by yakimaBluz; 10-13-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 10:00 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 0133642
Never heard of this many failures on a low mile LS. There is more to this story.
was about to say it sounds like a salvaged flood vehicle but the guy below beat me too it

Originally Posted by ShaneAlan
This sounds like a flood vehicle!,
The op is right to be angry , but maybe there is some truth to the belief that a car that sits is worse then a car that gets driven

25 000 miles and all this happens.... id be worried about the mileage being tampered with as well

Old 10-13-18, 10:01 AM
yakimaBluz
Driver School Candidate

Yes. The lights and ballasts. What I hate is, it's their word again't mine. I don't know if they are fibbing or being truthful.
But yes, the lights and ballasts.

The ECU: I started it up. Put it in reverse and realized the backup camera wasn't working. Then I realized, the radio touch screen isn't working.. then I realized... nothing on the computer screen was working. Took it into Lexus, they said it's the ECU computer. Need to replace the whole damn thing, including the screen. Everything.
Old 10-13-18, 10:03 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Oooooh...I already don't trust this dealer, then.
Old 10-13-18, 10:06 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

if actuator failed (lights on) it should be replaced under the extended warranty repair directly from lexus (depending upon when your car first went into service). It goes 10 years or 150k miles. Looks like you'd be on the cusp.
But agree with everyone else - no way this car had a normal service history and only 25k miles on it and is now suddenly having all these problems.

Quick Reply: What a let down. so angry