LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Restore or use for parts?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 04:06 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Restore or use for parts?!?

I picked up this 1991 with no title and in seriously rough shape. I had absolutely no electrical response for the first 50 miles of driving and it killed a battery. Then it suddenly came on and every thing worked but was blinking randomly at me. So there's a likely failed alternator and the ECU obviously will need some serious help. There's some damage to the driver's door and the window won't go up. The dash is warped, it looks like there was a fire in the back seat and the backs of the seats are sun bleached and badly cracked. All of the bottom of the trunk lining is missing.

However, the motor is strong and smooth, the trans shifts like butter, and I'm pretty sure it has every option for the year, including the phone. I'm torn between restoring it and using the parts to restore my 1994 and parting out the rest. HELP ME DECIDE!!! HERE'S PICS!

Last edited by JonnyO78; 10-12-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-12-18, 05:59 PM
Moarpower
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Parts mate. Too much work and money fixing that and you'll end up buying a parts car for it instead
Old 10-12-18, 08:22 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Moarpower
Parts mate. Too much work and money fixing that and you'll end up buying a parts car for it instead
Oh man. You don't even know yet! I have 3 now! I started with a 94. And then looking for a parts car I bought a 95 by mistake because it was listed as a 94. I'm into this for about $
1700 including gas and a dolly.

I've already located parts at local yards. There's a 93 with the same color codes not far away. I'm actually most worried about the suspension and steering more than the cosmetics. That can get expensive real fast.

I can also use parts from my 1994 in this 1991. But then this 1991 doesn't have a title and I'm gonna have to put in legwork to get it.

Last edited by JonnyO78; 10-12-18 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 03:09 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Financially it’s going to make more sense to part it out, because you’ll have more in it when you’re done than the car is worth. But, if you like the car, and it sounds like you do, and plan on keeping it, I say restore it. I love seeing cars headed to the recycler being saved.
Old 10-13-18, 08:43 AM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

That seems to be the trending opinion so far (though there are only 2 people participating). However, I'm not convinced.

Since I'm hard-headed, I guess I'll start by pulling ECUs and inspecting them. Put together parts lists for both and start pricing. I'll go up to the Pick-N-Pull in about 2 weeks and check out the 1993 they have. I'll also call down to Oakland about the only code LA20 interior I can find on indexed yards.

I'm going to start another thread specifically about this, but does anyone have ideas on repairing this warped dash?
Old 10-13-18, 08:50 AM
McPierson
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

If your time is cheap fix it. Don’t expect to make money selling it, but you can make money driving it vs a payment.
Old 10-13-18, 09:28 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyO78
That seems to be the trending opinion so far (though there are only 2 people participating). However, I'm not convinced.
I'm going to start another thread specifically about this, but does anyone have ideas on repairing this warped dash?
Personally, I would just use it for parts. But that's b/c it looks like too much work for me. I just dont like doing the work now that I'm getting older. But if you have the time, energy, and money to fix it then, to each his own. More power to ya.
Here's a thread about the dash. A fix is in the last post. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ting-dash.html
I know there are more threads on that subject if ya search for them.
The following users liked this post:
JonnyO78 (10-13-18)
Old 10-13-18, 09:31 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

im gunna vote to keep it. sure it looks like a total clapped out hooptie and well, it basically is. however, if the drivetrain is strong, absolutley save it. this car is getting close to 30 years old. the really early examples are already getting hard to find, and they will only get harder. they wont ever build them like this again. save it from the crusher my dude!! im currently getting a ton of work done to my 95 for this same reason. early 2gens are also getting scarce in decent condition. im planning on keeping it well, forever.

fix her up, drive her, and in a few short years you can put an antique tag on it, and a few more years after that, you may have the only one still on the road in your area. just sayin.
Old 10-13-18, 02:40 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stereorob
im gunna vote to keep it. sure it looks like a total clapped out hooptie and well, it basically is. however, if the drivetrain is strong, absolutley save it. this car is getting close to 30 years old. the really early examples are already getting hard to find, and they will only get harder. they wont ever build them like this again. save it from the crusher my dude!! im currently getting a ton of work done to my 95 for this same reason. early 2gens are also getting scarce in decent condition. im planning on keeping it well, forever.

fix her up, drive her, and in a few short years you can put an antique tag on it, and a few more years after that, you may have the only one still on the road in your area. just sayin.
Kinda my angle as far as using it up goes. I think I can this up to spec for under $1000, since I'm going to do all the labor. If I can turn around and get $2000 for it, I've covered this entire project. I don't think $2000 is out of the question; I'm seeing them go for between $1500 and $3000 locally. Then someone else can get a reasonably good commuter OR a future classic, if they want to finish the minor details.
Old 10-13-18, 03:37 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Specifically regarding the electrical issue - it sounds like it seemed your alternator was dead, then it came back to life after 50 miles and now seems flaky. Right?

Here's a weird thing I've found on my '91 regarding the alternator - of course it has the issue that any PS leaks fall onto it. I've rebuilt my PS pump, and have a bleach bottle over the alt, and even after that, still there is some PS fluid around there. I have a voltage gauge plugged into the cigarette lighter port, and pay attention to voltage. I have found that sometimes the voltage gets lower than I think it should be (declining over a period of years).

My belief is that this is caused by PS fluid residue accumulating back on the brushes end (rear end) of the alternator. My solution, which works great, is to remove the engine under-cover panel so I can see up to the rear side of the alternator from under the car. Best if the car is warmed up before doing this (can do it after removing splash panel, for convenience and avoiding getting burns), so any oil is softened up. Then I spray the he!! out of it with a garden hose. Following that, I'm back to 14+V.
The following users liked this post:
JonnyO78 (10-13-18)
Old 10-13-18, 04:41 PM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Financially, I wouldn't restore it, since you won't likely make your money back. I see these going for max, of 1500-2k. A lot time spent and money wasted when you can find decent condition ones already going for that that are in good shape.

You don't typically find these LS' with fire damage, broken windows, damaged doors and missing parts. So yours is in pretty rough shape. Just use it for parts toward a high mileage one that was driven and maintained.
Old 10-13-18, 09:22 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

What if I said it cost me $400?

And the glass is there, I think the various electronic problems probably blew a fuse or relay.

I'm about 90% sure I can get it back to market condition for less than $600. There's another with similar coloring at a pull not far away. I'm gonna check it out and that will help finalize the decision.

Last edited by JonnyO78; 10-13-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-16-18, 03:16 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
Specifically regarding the electrical issue - it sounds like it seemed your alternator was dead, then it came back to life after 50 miles and now seems flaky. Right?.
I didn't have all the crazy electrical problems but on my 93 when I started the car the battery light would come on b/c it wasn't charging, I would hit the gas til the RPM got up to 4000 for a couple seconds and it would then start charging. Also went out when driving so I just put in neutral and raised RPMs and it was fine. I ended up changing the alt. before it completely went so I wasn't stranded.
Old 10-16-18, 08:06 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by deanshark
I didn't have all the crazy electrical problems but on my 93 when I started the car the battery light would come on b/c it wasn't charging, I would hit the gas til the RPM got up to 4000 for a couple seconds and it would then start charging. Also went out when driving so I just put in neutral and raised RPMs and it was fine. I ended up changing the alt. before it completely went so I wasn't stranded.
You were smart enough to avoid the problem to stop at middle of nowhere. Your symptom reminds me of a friend of mine who ended up to call a tow truck.

He had exactly the same problem with you. He did not have any P/S oil leak but the cover gasket was leaking down the engine oil to the alternator little by little. The invaded and accumulated oil finally caused brushes softened and the slip rings contaminated, he understood after stranded.
Old 10-16-18, 11:04 PM
JonnyO78
Pole Position

I've gone ahead and put my orders together for the capacitors for this and my 1994.

Quick Reply: Restore or use for parts?!?