LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Been reading the 430 may be best car ever built ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 04:24 PM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been reading the 430 may be best car ever built ?

I am new here so hi and thanks for any help, I am thinking about buying one of these cars but am concerned about how much they can be to repair if I have a probelm. I am old school, I have a 1994 for F 350 mechanical diesel for a work truck because I can fix it REAL CHEAP!. I try to shy away from the newer vehicles but I have read this car really is a mechanical master piece.

I have also noticed because everybody seems to want SUV's and trucks you can get these cars for next to nothing, take like for instance a 2005 Toyota Tundra still fetches 8 to 15 grand depending on condition but a 430 can be had for 1/2 that in good shape so it only makes sense to get one if I can afford or get parts if I have a probelm.

I have a 2003 Acura RL as well and did not realize how much better the quality was over a typical Honda Accord until I owned it for 8 years and did not have to do hardly any repairs and it still drives kinda like new and then I was reading the 430 is a whole nother level of quality but I hear the parts can be very pricey on a Lexus.

Any input would be great thanks.

By the way the mechanics have been telling me the new cars are not built like they used to be at all so a low mileage 430 makes the most sence.....

Last edited by Whipitnow; 10-01-18 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 04:58 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipitnow
I am new here so hi and thanks for any help, I am thinking about buying one of these cars but am concerned about how much they can be to repair if I have a probelm. I am old school, I have a 1994 for F 350 mechanical diesel for a work truck because I can fix it REAL CHEAP!. I try to shy away from the newer vehicles but I have read this car really is a mechanical master piece.

I have also noticed because everybody seems to want SUV's and trucks you can get these cars for next to nothing, take like for instance a 2005 Toyota Tundra still fetches 8 to 15 grand depending on condition but a 430 can be had for 1/2 that in good shape so it only makes sense to get one if I can afford or get parts if I have a probelm.

I have a 2003 Acura RL as well and did not realize how much better the quality was over a typical Honda Accord until I owned it for 8 years and did not have to do hardly any repairs and it still drives kinda like new and then I was reading the 430 is a whole nother level of quality but I hear the parts can be very pricey on a Lexus.

Any input would be great thanks.

By the way the mechanics have been telling me the new cars are not built like they used to be at all so a low mileage 430 makes the most sence.....
Yes they are great cars but also old now and some parts can be pricey. The idea of finding a low mileage very good condition Ls430 between $4,000-$7,000 might be unrealistic especially 2004-2006.
Old 10-01-18, 06:46 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Trucks are always better resale than ultra luxury cars. I think if ya can shop used parts they are almost as dependable as a camry
Old 10-01-18, 07:31 PM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

Buying such an old car are there items like rubber or anything else that needs to be replaced just from age that is expensive or hard to get ? I live in FL and for used cars like this this is the place so finding a good one will be no problem because all the retirees who keep them garaged and never drive them..

How hard are these cars to service ?, being rear wheel drive seems like it would help alot ? Also how good is after market support, I just went to Discount Auto and they had access to rotors, radiators, starters, struts, and such so can you run into hard to find basic wear items ?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-02-18, 05:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I was thinking that way when I got mine in 2016. The parts are not "superior" to German cars, look at the stamped steel control arms in front. But you said "built," and what has happened is there are LS cars that have 983k on the odometer, 200k all day long, some 300k, and likely as time marches on 400-500k? So they took all the parts and made them work for a long time and many miles. Best built maybe, best car, probably not. Look at our Corolla power window switches (this is a stickler), and telescope wheels, door actuators, mirror switches which need attention. None of these even failed on my Maxima which is 8 years older with 150k more miles! (it does not have a power tilt column but does have all the other features that failed on the LS430). I love the car and it's a keeper, for sure. Too bad Germans don't really build a reliable car, but you can only do so much with $1...
Old 10-02-18, 08:56 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

I am kind of confused about what you are saying, you are saying the drive trains are superior as well as overall quality but some of the smaller detail items need attention like on any other car ? the car gets good fuel mileage for a V 8 correct and the drivetrain is bulet proof ?

This is where I am on this, I bought a 2002 Acura RL in 2010 and it had 90,000 miles when I got it and drove it for 8 years and put 60,000 miles on it and had to do notta on it except for a rebuilt starter. Everything in the car works as it did off the show room floor new and a Acura mechanic told me they do not make cars like this anymore and none of the new Acura's are the same quality at all. All the switches and everything still work as they did so I want to go another level and from my reading this LS 430 is the car,

I did not take car of the 2002 Acura as I should have because I thought the car was easily replaced in quality and then I find out it just isn't so so I just picked up another 2003 Acura RL with 80 thou on it that is mint and these cars are so cheap now I am like why not get a 430 since it is even supposed to be a better in the drive train and cab quality design and overall build.

I was blown away with the quality of the old RL and just think this car is supposed to be even better, are you saying some of the detail parts like switches could be better quality ?
Old 10-02-18, 10:41 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I think it was an absolutely incredible car for model year 1990. BMW accused Toyota Motor of selling the cars below cost, that's how incensed they were, like someone broke a bottle over their head in a college bar. But as time went on, like anything else, things changed. The 2001-2006 is still a top notch car, my godfather said it won every award for "reliability." It's not pefect, but for trouble-free driving it is very close. There aren't many flagship cars an ordinary person can afford to drive and maintain. This one is affordable as long as a person doesn't go to the dealership.
Old 10-02-18, 11:11 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

The LS 430 stickered for a good deal more than the RL (high 50s to low 70s versus low 40s) and that is built into used pricing and indicative of many things. Both were relatively low volume cars and there may be some difficulty sourcing parts as they age. If you can find a good one, it's well worth the money you'll pay although it will cost significantly more than an RL.
Old 10-02-18, 04:06 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Had 2 RLs previously and now a 2006 LS430. The LS is a much higher quality car in every single way I can think of except the headlights on my 1999 RL were much better.
Old 10-02-18, 09:03 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Even the best car ever build still need new parts due to age and/or miles. The newest LS430 is an 06, which means that it is a 12 yr old car. If you are expecting to get an LS and drive it without needing any maintenance for a long time, then maybe buying a 12 yr old car is not the right move. I believe LS > RL, but you should drive, compare and see it yourself.

Affordability is very subjective, and only you can decide what you can afford. I would imagine LS parts are more expensive than Corolla or Camry parts, but LS is superior than Corolla or Camry. Also something to consider is how much driving you planning to do. LS has a v8 and while it has pretty good mpg for a big 4K lbs boat, it may make a difference if you drive a lot of miles.

Not trying to scare anyone who are interested in getting an LS, but there should be a realistic expectation when one is buying older car.
Old 10-03-18, 05:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I think there is something to be said about the "era" that this generation is from. My benchmark was always the 1998 Maxima SE purchased brand new. It literally went about 9 years before needing anything--CV joints, and that is a wear item. Then, at year 12, exhaust. I remember keeping a spreadsheet and saying dang I hope the costs don't go over $500 (besides tires and brakes). Year 15, EGR which is a PITA. For something that does nothing, a lot of effort, and needed due to emissions testing in PA.

When you compare a 2001-2006 LS430, it's superior in every way to a 4th gen Maxima. So why wouldn't it be more durable and last even longer.....

There was a Maxima like mine behind me this AM and had to be an auto because the kid driving it never took his hands off the wheel at a stoplight. It would even seem that autos can last. Wouldn't surprise me if he's the 7th owner or something...
Old 10-03-18, 08:33 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

If you stay on top of items to be repaired as they crop up you should be ok rather than ignoring them and allowing things to accumulate. It is a an old car that could be relatively reliable as long as the owner understands it’s not a “free ride”. Having a good relationship with a dependable, honest independent shop is essential.
Old 10-03-18, 11:08 AM
Whipitnow
Driver School Candidate

I have a great mechanic and I told him I was looking at getting a Lexus and he told me some of the items on the cars were not as good as the Acura, he said Lexus liked to use some cheaper quality components found on the less expensive Toyota's where the Acura's used higher quality parts across the board compared to the standard Honda line. I have no idea on this but one of the reasons I will buy an old car is because I have a great mechanic. For whatever reason he felt Honda was a better product overall $ for $ but all these old luxury cars are a deal now if you look aroud, like I stated old trucks and sporties bring way more than these old luxury style cars.

The problem with the RL is because they are front wheel drive they are hard to change seals in the drive train and we know this is where an old car eventually has alot of problems because seals go bad over time driven or not driven so a rear wheel drive seems to be easier to take care of in this regard ?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-18, 11:36 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

I know that when I was new to Toyota (2 yrs ago), it was very difficult to find a Japanese indie in the Phila. area. Go figure. One guy I called, who has all these yelp reviews, said, "I dunno, we don't see many cars like yours." Wow, that's very inspiring, like I want to patronize your shop.

Two simple questions, have them quote a timing belt job, and pressing out and in of the LCA bushings. If they need time to research it, they're not your shop. They would have done this many times if they are a Japanese expert.
Old 10-03-18, 11:39 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

With mileage and age engine and transmission seals can be vulnerable including transmission shifter bushings, rear main engine, engine pan and of course the valve covers.

Quick Reply: Been reading the 430 may be best car ever built ?