Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Vince's NA-T college fun build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 09:57 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Post Vince's NA-T college fun build

Hey guys so I've been a long time lurker on the forums here and I love everything I learned from reading all that you guys have talked about when it comes to 2JZ engines.

So, onto what I'm planning on doing. My plan is to make a good daily driver while being a NA-T build. I'm in college so the main focus is going to be on budgets. My car was all dinged up by the previous owner's ex so bodywork would cost more than a NA-T build so I chose the one that would make me smile more often. I plan on purchasing a driftmotion NA-T kit in the future, along with a intercooler (still looking into what kind) and I am going to try to keep as many parts as possible stock to limit spending and I will only swap out stock parts if they are a risk to the engine. Any advice is appreciated and I am only 19 so I'm not trying to rush into this headfirst as this car is my daily driver so I'm going to take it nice and slow and research everything as much as possible.
Old 09-23-18, 05:56 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I would suggest looking into doing the TT ecu mod.
Old 09-23-18, 08:08 AM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by joe diego
I would suggest looking into doing the TT ecu mod.
Ive seen this ECU mod thing on the forums here and there but its still very forgien to me. What would be the benefit of doing a ECU mod over a NA-T build? Thanks for the info tho
Old 09-23-18, 09:24 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin
Ive seen this ECU mod thing on the forums here and there but its still very forgien to me. What would be the benefit of doing a ECU mod over a NA-T build? Thanks for the info tho
The ECU mod is part of going NA-T. The stock GE ECU doesn't respond well to boost and will cause you all kinds of problems. Instead of going with a standalone engine management system there is a way to get the ECU from a GTE car to work as long as your power goals are modest. You'll have to read the thread for exact numbers.
Old 09-24-18, 10:20 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
The ECU mod is part of going NA-T. The stock GE ECU doesn't respond well to boost and will cause you all kinds of problems. Instead of going with a standalone engine management system there is a way to get the ECU from a GTE car to work as long as your power goals are modest. You'll have to read the thread for exact numbers.
Dont alot of people usually run the stock ECU tho? Ive read many people run it stock but I also heard getting the GTE ECU runs deep in ones pockets as well
Old 09-25-18, 06:54 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by vinyvin
Dont alot of people usually run the stock ECU tho? Ive read many people run it stock but I also heard getting the GTE ECU runs deep in ones pockets as well
No. The stock ECU doesn't work. The TT ECU mod is not very expensive. You will need the following:
- 440cc Injectors - You will need these with a NA-t conversion anyway; Get good ones not cheap chinese ones; oside tiger had good remanufactured injectors for reasonable price.
- VVTI coilpacks & wires - Easily found on ebay for like $30-40 shipped
- JDM TT ECU - Easily found on Facebook or ebay
- DS61 or DS62 Ignitor - Easily found on ebay for like $20-30
- ECU Pins
- Map Sensor... Forgot until Ali mentioned it
- Wire

BUT, before getting into going NA-t, I would suggest doing some basic maintenance and checks. Start with compression and leak down test, also change your fluids and check your belts especially your timing belt.

Last edited by mrmj2u; 09-25-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 12:29 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

The stock ecu runs terribly with na-t and you wont get the full power out of it. hardly anyone even tries it anymore its so bad, unless you love frustration I guess.
I can tell you that your car will not put a smile on your face when you stall at every traffic light.. been there and done that before I helped come up with the tt ecu mod.
honestly if you can't afford to do the tt ecu mod or run a proper standalone, don't even turbocharge it. Save up and then do it when you are ready.
Do the ls400 brakes and get your suspension sorted out, or a manual swap, those will make your car handle alot better and get it ready for the power.

Is your car an automatic? what are you going to do when the na-t power destroys it?
if your car is a stock manual, are you ready to do the clutch or put in a better transmission? I blew my stock clutch after 3 pulls, yes just 3 times on the accelerator.
There is a lot more than just buying a turbo kit and installing it, that is the easiest part. its the rest of the supporting stuff that can get involved and $$

You can do the tt ecu mod with what mrmj2u listed above, and if you are on a budget you can skip the vvti coils and wires and use the stock coil.
You will still need the injectors, ds62 ignitor, JDM 2jzgte ecu, 2jz map sensor, ecu pins and wiring.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum with regards to na-t who can help point you in the right direction.
Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-25-18 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 03:03 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
No. The stock ECU doesn't work. The TT ECU mod is not very expensive. You will need the following:
- 440cc Injectors - You will need these with a NA-t conversion anyway; Get good ones not cheap chinese ones; oside tiger had good remanufactured injectors for reasonable price.
- VVTI coilpacks & wires - Easily found on ebay for like $30-40 shipped
- JDM TT ECU - Easily found on Facebook or ebay
- DS61 or DS62 Ignitor - Easily found on ebay for like $20-30
- ECU Pins
- Map Sensor... Forgot until Ali mentioned it
- Wire

BUT, before getting into going NA-t, I would suggest doing some basic maintenance and checks. Start with compression and leak down test, also change your fluids and check your belts especially your timing belt.
I actually have all of that stuff listed on this notebook for stuff I will need to turbo my car (not trying to sound all smart) I know theres alot more than simply buying a kit and slapping it on. I actually plan on going to a manual swap after I plan on going near 400hp as I heard the automatic can handle some boost but to not push it too much. I also know to do a compression test and a tune up before getting all happy and boosting. I would be in a world of pain if i didnt do a engine tune up before boosting lol. But seeing all that you listed, its actually way less compared to all I had in my notebook and seems much more obtainable. Anything else i should keep in mind?
Old 09-25-18, 03:08 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
The stock ecu runs terribly with na-t and you wont get the full power out of it. hardly anyone even tries it anymore its so bad, unless you love frustration I guess.
I can tell you that your car will not put a smile on your face when you stall at every traffic light.. been there and done that before I helped come up with the tt ecu mod.
honestly if you can't afford to do the tt ecu mod or run a proper standalone, don't even turbocharge it. Save up and then do it when you are ready.
Do the ls400 brakes and get your suspension sorted out, or a manual swap, those will make your car handle alot better and get it ready for the power.

Is your car an automatic? what are you going to do when the na-t power destroys it?
if your car is a stock manual, are you ready to do the clutch or put in a better transmission? I blew my stock clutch after 3 pulls, yes just 3 times on the accelerator.
There is a lot more than just buying a turbo kit and installing it, that is the easiest part. its the rest of the supporting stuff that can get involved and $$

You can do the tt ecu mod with what mrmj2u listed above, and if you are on a budget you can skip the vvti coils and wires and use the stock coil.
You will still need the injectors, ds62 ignitor, JDM 2jzgte ecu, 2jz map sensor, ecu pins and wiring.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum with regards to na-t who can help point you in the right direction.
Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.
Hey there! Thanks for all the info you dropped on muh tiny head. So to give some more details, I have an auto but I dont plan on keeping it like that when I start shooting for high hp numbers, I can or better yet will afford the ECU TT mod its just it sorta snuck past me in all my excitment of doing a NAT build and i rarely saw anyone mention it. I thought it was like what they did with the old fords where there was small differences in the engine and by simply changing the ECU to run like its sister car and changing the cams that it would get double the HP. Im glad i decided the create an account and ask the forums before i got ahead of myself. Anythin else I should know about? Oh and I also know to not quickly turn off the car after having fun or driving a turboed car to allow the temps drop and oils to flow through and prevent damage to the turbo. Im a lil proud of that fun fact lol
The following users liked this post:
Supremeg56 (07-15-19)
Old 01-11-19, 12:25 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Post So, an update

Hey guy's, so after being MIA for a while and having this thread kinda die. I'm here to post an update!
So here's the plan in order in terms of the short term and it goes as follows and is simple
Install the XS power kit with an FMIC
Run VERY low boost for a while until I have more money saved
Then, after that, take out the stock ECU and upgrade to the TT ECU mod but try to keep the stock distributor as stated in the guide.
And.. that's kinda it! Hope to get some feedback from you guys since I'm kinda alone in this.
There was this guy who is runnin 600hp on a sc300 here in arizona that was supposed to contact me but never did, sure he got his hands full
My dad is also still in recovery from his cancer so he's not really able to help me other than advice (He never worked with a turbo tho)
Take care everyone!
Old 01-11-19, 01:43 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

I would do it in the reverse.
Do the GTE ECU mod first, save money and then turbo the car.
That's actually how I did it. No need to mess up your car with boost that the ECU can't compensate for and be itching to swap out the ECU.

I dealt with cancer back in 2015 and was fortunate enough to be able to recover completely, I wish the same for your dad.
Old 01-11-19, 02:33 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Originally Posted by mrmj2u
I would do it in the reverse.
Do the GTE ECU mod first, save money and then turbo the car.
That's actually how I did it. No need to mess up your car with boost that the ECU can't compensate for and be itching to swap out the ECU.

I dealt with cancer back in 2015 and was fortunate enough to be able to recover completely, I wish the same for your dad.
hey thanks for the reply! My dad is in that state where he's in the rocks rn you know? Thankfully he's done with chemo tho! He loves seeing me get all exicted about working on my car. I think it's for the best I do the small stuff as you said. Plus it wont hurt my wallet as much! Any more advice tho? I need all that I can get
Old 01-11-19, 03:02 PM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Yeah I wish him and your family all the best!

Like you said, I would start with the small stuff. Check out my build thread, it is linked in my signature if you click on the burgundy words

No one wants to hear this when they are looking at going turbo, but its best to start with the maintenance items:
- Motor mounts
- Bushings
- Belts

Otherwise you'll get into your build and find that things that you didn't necessarily budget for need to be changed. Take your time, and do it right the first time.
Old 01-11-19, 09:18 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Thanks for the well wishes, it means a lot
Is there anything else I should look into? I know I gotta do a compression test and all. If possible I don't want to take out the engine or anything just yet, maybe once I want bigger numbers.
Old 01-21-19, 08:34 PM
vinyvin
Driver

Smile Update!

Hello everyone! So, an update on the SC300. I currently just picked up a GTE ECU and MAF and I also bought an A340 trans! gonna try to mess around with these soon all advice is appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
Supremeg56 (07-15-19)

Quick Reply: Vince's NA-T college fun build