RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

New brake job sounds like a sqeeking city bus😕

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 01:42 PM
Lexqueen35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brake job sounds like a sqeeking city bus😕

39,000 miles new rotars, pads total front brake job sounds like a city bus under severe pressure. WTF is going on?
Old 09-23-18, 01:31 AM
diggdyone
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The back of your brake pads may need to lubed. This is exactly what happened to me before I learned the importance of adding a generous amount of brake pad lube to the back of my pads.
Old 09-25-18, 12:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Depends how the install was done. There's two shims per pads. Those shims should be cleaned and greased very lightly with high temp grease (very lightly). The pad back should be cleaned and greased as well. You do not want to overgrease it and risk getting on the friction surfaces.

The brackets the calipers sit in and contact should also be cleaned and greased lightly.

Even with everything perfectly clean, these cars use high friction compound pads Made in Germany, so they're prone to debris accumulation and thus noise. They need to be powerwashed at least once a week when you wash your car to mitigate noise. All the BMW and Porsche guys run into this as well (our pad supplier supplies these two brands as well) I've written extensively on this topic over in the 3IS section.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-18, 09:35 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I too am having this issue. I recently replaced my pads for not 1, but 2 sets of Akebono low dust pads and my brake squeal is atrocious! I've lived every possible friction point I could think of and I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what and why my brakes sound so bad! I talked to a parts guy at Lexus and he says the pads are directional, and thus could be the cause of my brake squeal. Again I'm not running OEM pads so I dont know how to tell if in fact they are directional, but I have never heard this before nor had any issues in the past. I installed both pads with the wear tabs on the inside of the calipers, closest to the engine and the tabs at the bottom caliper. You also spoke about TWO shims. So on my OEM pad it had one factory shim that clipped onto the pad. The Akebono has it's own shim which I did not put the factory shim on top of it. Was I supposed to? I've asked this question to several different people and the majority say no. I need HELP HELP HELP! I really hate to go back to dusty OEM pads but if itll make the squeal go away, I just may.

QUOTE=E46CT;10316433]Depends how the install was done. There's two shims per pads. Those shims should be cleaned and greased very lightly with high temp grease (very lightly). The pad back should be cleaned and greased as well. You do not want to overgrease it and risk getting on the friction surfaces.

The brackets the calipers sit in and contact should also be cleaned and greased lightly.

Even with everything perfectly clean, these cars use high friction compound pads Made in Germany, so they're prone to debris accumulation and thus noise. They need to be powerwashed at least once a week when you wash your car to mitigate noise. All the BMW and Porsche guys run into this as well (our pad supplier supplies these two brands as well) I've written extensively on this topic over in the 3IS section.

Good luck![/QUOTE]