GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone with regrets over getting an FSport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-18, 07:36 AM
DeepBlue99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Anyone with regrets over getting an FSport?

If so, I would like to hear them...

Shopping around for a 2015-2016 GS350 CPO. Honestly, still on the fence in regards to FSport vs no FSport. I like the FSport appearance tweaks on 2015s and 2016s. But not hugely enthusiastic about the higher price as well as extra maintenance cost that will no doubt accompany the performance bits. Also, speaking of which, at this point, I'm not sure if I even care about the performance differences, minor as they are on a GS. Not sure if I can justify all that just because of really mainly cosmetic considerations.

What do you guys think? Is FSport worth it? If so, what makes it worth it to you?

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 09-19-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 07:44 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Personal preference but I have no regrets with the FSport. Cost of ownership is about the same really. 19" tires may cost a bit more than 18s but the rest is about the same.
The following users liked this post:
fastcorner (08-10-23)
Old 09-19-18, 07:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

No regrets. If I were to do it over, I'd buy exactly the same car.

Since you're in NY, I assume you are looking at AWD. If that's the case, you do not have any extra expense as the brakes are the same as the non F Sport models and all 4 tires are the same size (not staggered).

In nearly 3 years of ownership with my GS F Sport, I haven't had any F Sport related costs (just oil changes and the like).
Old 09-19-18, 07:59 AM
DeepBlue99
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDR76
No regrets. If I were to do it over, I'd buy exactly the same car.

Since you're in NY, I assume you are looking at AWD. If that's the case, you do not have any extra expense as the brakes are the same as the non F Sport models and all 4 tires are the same size (not staggered).

In nearly 3 years of ownership with my GS F Sport, I haven't had any F Sport related costs (just oil changes and the like).
AWD is the plan. Even if non staggered arrangement was not the case, I would definitely switch over. The cost/limitations of staggered config are not worth the minor performance differences, at least in my case.

There are other cost of ownership differences that I've read about on this forum. I seem to recall a post about the cost of front brakes being twice as much on an FSport vs non FSport at roughly $800 or so. I'm sure there are other similar cost differences on other items as well, what with the more sophisticated suspension components and drive elements.
Old 09-19-18, 08:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
AWD is the plan. Even if non staggered arrangement was not the case, I would definitely switch over. The cost/limitations of staggered config are not worth the minor performance differences, at least in my case.

There are other cost of ownership differences that I've read about on this forum. I seem to recall a post about the cost of front brakes being twice as much on an FSport vs non FSport at roughly $800 or so. I'm sure there are other similar cost differences on other items as well, what with the more sophisticated suspension components and drive elements.
The AWD F Sport does not have the "F Sport brakes". Only the RWD F Sports have them.

Only other item would be the adjustable suspension, but I've never heard of anyone on here having an issue with that. It's actually a pretty simple system.
DeepBlue99 (09-19-18)
Old 09-19-18, 08:14 AM
DeepBlue99
Pit Crew

The AWD F Sport does not have the "F Sport brakes". Only the RWD F Sports have them.

Only other item would be the adjustable suspension, but I've never heard of anyone on here having an issue with that. It's actually a pretty simple system.
Great point! I didn't realize that only RWD models have different front brakes. If this is all there is too it, then glad I asked. Since I keep my cars for a long time and take extremely good care of them, additional purchase cost doesn't phase me too much.

Also, that being the case... I might as well get something that I would prefer, even if the differences are mostly cosmetic.

Last edited by DeepBlue99; 09-19-18 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-19-18, 08:45 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I regretted not getting the FSport in the first place and ended up paying more after.
Old 09-19-18, 08:47 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Wait what? The front rotors are 2-piece and the F-Sport calipers are larger in the front than the rears. What do you mean only RWD have them?

Old 09-19-18, 08:53 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Wait what? The front rotors are 2-piece and the F-Sport calipers are larger in the front than the rears. What do you mean only RWD have them?

Well all cars have bigger front brakes but the RWD FSport has even bigger front brakes than AWD. Like 14" for RWD VS. 13" for AWD.
Old 09-19-18, 08:54 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Only RWD F-sport gets the 2-piece rotors, and rear-steer.
AWD F-sport has the same rotors as any other regular GS, no rear-steer.
Old 09-19-18, 08:56 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

One need only pull up the specs to see the AWD and RWD F Sports do not have the same brakes. This is why you'll see RWD F Sport owners complain about massive brake dust while those of us with AWD F Sports don't have that issue. They're not the same brakes. Here is for 2015.

 F SPORT
 Includes all contents of Premium Package plus:
 16-way power sport driver seat (includes power side bolsters, thigh support, four-way lumbar)
 19-inch staggered width split five-spoke wheels with summer tires for RWD, single width with allseason
tires for AWD
 F SPORT badging (side and rear)
 F SPORT tuned Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) with Sport S+ mode
 Larger front brakes with hi-friction pads (RWD)
 Rear lip spoiler
 F SPORT interior including: striated aluminum trim, F SPORT aluminum pedals and door scuff plates,
unique perforated leather trim and black headliner
 F SPORT front bumper and rear lower valence
 F SPORT mesh front grille inserts
 Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) (RWD)
 Available with Cold Weather Package
- Front ventilated discs (dia./thickness) 13.1 in./1.2 in. (F Sport RWD : 14.0 in./1.2)
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...duct+specs.htm
DeepBlue99 (09-20-18)
Old 09-19-18, 09:10 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

i have the base model AWD..

Unless you are going to lower your AWD-Fs, I wouldn't get it. The car sits too high to look sporty. FWD Honda Civics have a less wheel gap.

I do think the bumper design looks better on the Fs. Wheels look better also, but looks like a corolla with aftermarket 18" rims when not lowered.

Just my opinion.. RWD F-Sport looks best, of course.
Old 09-19-18, 09:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by DeepBlue99
If so, I would like to hear them...

Shopping around for a 2015-2016 GS350 CPO. Honestly, still on the fence in regards to FSport vs no FSport. I like the FSport appearance tweaks on 2015s and 2016s. But not hugely enthusiastic about the higher price as well as extra maintenance cost that will no doubt accompany the performance bits. Also, speaking of which, at this point, I'm not sure if I even care about the performance differences, minor as they are on a GS. Not sure if I can justify all that just because of really mainly cosmetic considerations.

What do you guys think? Is FSport worth it? If so, what makes it worth it to you?
I didn't go with the F-Sport here in NYC because of the initial cost difference. An AWD F-Sport and AWD non F-sport are essentially the same car except with the main differences being 19" wheel size, front bumper styling, F-Sport badges throughout the car and the Sport+ mode. With the coin I saved, I customized the the car to my liking (tires, new rotors, aftermarket goodies).

Since I've owned the car, I've kept track of all my expenditures from "fun stuff" to maintenance/wear and tear and have spent roughly $3000. Biggest maintenance costs were tires/rotors/wheel straightening costing me a little over $1500 and then fun stuff like spoiler/grille/painted calipers costing around $700. I also considered converting to get the F-sport look with the wheels/grill/bumper but decided to go a different route.

The only things I currently have issue with is the seats in the non F-sport and non-Lux aren't as comfy and the MPG with AWD in the city isn't the best. Otherwise, I really enjoy my non F-Sport GS and don't regret the purchase at all !
websurfer (05-17-20)
Old 09-19-18, 10:02 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

Unless you are going to lower your AWD-Fs, I wouldn't get it. The car sits too high to look sporty. FWD Honda Civics have a less wheel gap.

I do think the bumper design looks better on the Fs. Wheels look better also, but looks like a corolla with aftermarket 18" rims when not lowered.

LOL...I often refer to my AWD GS as a "Lexubaru". Not sure why the extra wheel gap here when they managed to avoid it on the AWD IS. But I still think it looks good, and not at all "like a corolla with aftermarket 18" rims when not lowered".

Old 09-19-18, 10:13 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1

All you need in a few BBW's in your car, then the height will be perfect.

Quick Reply: Anyone with regrets over getting an FSport?