IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

No more support for Pandora?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 07:28 AM
Isaac88
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No more support for Pandora?

Just got an email stating that Lexus Enform will no longer support Pandora and a couple other apps, Facebook and Open Table. Only way we will be able to access it is through Bluetooth. I spent 40k+ on a car and I can't even have Pandora baked into the infotainment system? Pandora just seems like such a basic thing to have in a car now a days. Hopefully they make up for it and add Spotify or something.

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...%2C1609%2C1610
Old 09-18-18, 08:35 AM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I got that email too. In a way I am not surprised given pandora's loss of ground on subscribers and new music addition. But I agree with you that they should enable spotify. I switched from spotify to apple music coz its much too simple to browse playlists and songs without even touching your phone. With spotify though, I always had to pick it explicitly in the phone app.
Old 09-18-18, 09:19 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Bummer. But, you know, I don't mind that much. Ever since I got my Galaxy S8, Pandora has been pretty flaky in the App Suite. Sometimes it just won't work no matter what I do, until I restart my phone or restart the infotainment. I probably would have been better off just using the app on my phone.
Old 09-18-18, 12:11 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

The app was useless. I'd rather use the app on the phone and use Bluetooth connection to stream the music.
The build in app wouldn't let me skip more than 10 times or so. I can skip all day on my phone app. Plus sometimes I would get tether error with the enform app.
Old 09-18-18, 07:05 PM
Gsr3is
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I feel the whole enform thing is a joke. There is barely any support for it. When you add destinations on the phone. It sometimes syncs and sometimes doesnt. So I could never rely upon the app to add destinations. This is not just a lexus problem. Car infotainment systems are just not intuitive. Carplay and android car should be the only modes supported by default in all models. It just works as an extension to your phone.
Old 09-19-18, 07:48 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by Gsr3is
I feel the whole enform thing is a joke. There is barely any support for it. When you add destinations on the phone. It sometimes syncs and sometimes doesnt. So I could never rely upon the app to add destinations. This is not just a lexus problem. Car infotainment systems are just not intuitive. Carplay and android car should be the only modes supported by default in all models. It just works as an extension to your phone.
Aside from vehicle-specific settings, naturally. Until car makers come out with their own proprietary smart phone apps to adjust said settings, the infotainment interface is going to have to stick around. And besides, you want your car to be capable of at least offering a good interface for radio, trip info, and other minor functionality at the bare minimum. I agree, the subscription stuff just isn't worth it. Even on longer trips I rather just use my phone and Google Maps over the car's nav system.
Old 09-28-18, 11:15 AM
StevenTodd
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am beginning to think I make a bad decision buying a Lexus. Now that Pandora will be no longer supported, the Enform app is for me worthless since that is the only thing I used it for. I will just go ahead and uninstall the app from my phone. Since I have an Android phone I realize I should have bought a car with Android Auto. I think almost ever car maker out there except for Lexus and Toyota has Android Auto. Although I have heard Toyota will soon make Android Auto available in some of their cars in 2019, I have heard nothing from Lexus. I will be trading my current Lexus off in about another year or two. Unless Lexus has support for Android Auto by then, I will not be buying another Lexus.
Old 09-28-18, 11:58 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
I am beginning to think I make a bad decision buying a Lexus. Now that Pandora will be no longer supported, the Enform app is for me worthless since that is the only thing I used it for. I will just go ahead and uninstall the app from my phone. Since I have an Android phone I realize I should have bought a car with Android Auto. I think almost ever car maker out there except for Lexus and Toyota has Android Auto. Although I have heard Toyota will soon make Android Auto available in some of their cars in 2019, I have heard nothing from Lexus. I will be trading my current Lexus off in about another year or two. Unless Lexus has support for Android Auto by then, I will not be buying another Lexus.
If your car is primarily used as entertainment, sure don't buy a Lexus. The Pandora was actually something I didn't give a single care about when I bought it. I was just focusing on the way it drove, features like heated steering wheel, the F Sport cluster etc., and the dealership experience. So I may end up in another Lexus. Just to give a different perspective.
Old 09-28-18, 11:35 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by StevenTodd
I agree with you, enform is useless now for me on both my IS and RX. Lexus just limited their already weak infotainment even more by leaving Slacker radio as the only music app.
Old 09-29-18, 07:15 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Lexus/Toyota could save themselves by simply offering an update on all Enform 2.0 vehicles that would add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It really doesn’t make sense to me that they won’t. Of course, they will use these add ons as a sales pitch on their newer cars. Super annoying.
Old 09-29-18, 10:04 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5
Lexus/Toyota could save themselves by simply offering an update on all Enform 2.0 vehicles that would add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. It really doesn’t make sense to me that they won’t. Of course, they will use these add ons as a sales pitch on their newer cars. Super annoying.
Even if they offered the Entune software upgrade, you would most likely require a USB "hub" upgrade from the dealer to work with Apple CarPlay. That was the only way Ford was able to make their Sync 3 system backward compatible to allow CarPlay and AA. It wasn't cheap either ($400 installed if I remember correctly).
Old 09-29-18, 10:35 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burrcold

Even if they offered the Entune software upgrade, you would most likely require a USB "hub" upgrade from the dealer to work with Apple CarPlay. That was the only way Ford was able to make their Sync 3 system backward compatible to allow CarPlay and AA. It wasn't cheap either ($400 installed if I remember correctly).
Mazda was able to do it. Either way, $400 is fine with me to have a REAL quality infotainment UI.
Old 09-29-18, 11:45 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

Mazda was able to do it. Either way, $400 is fine with me to have a REAL quality infotainment UI.
I have a 2017 CX-9 and we are going to pay for a USB hub upgrade as well for $443. I agree it is worth it, but it's not as easy as most think it can be (like an over the air software upgrade).
Old 09-29-18, 11:47 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burrcold

I have a 2017 CX-9 and we're are going to pay for a USB hub upgrade as well for $443. I agree it is worth it, but it's not as easy as most think it can be (like an over the air software upgrade).
I feel like you’re the one always assuming I’m talking about OVA updates lmao. When I say updates I mean go to the dealership and letting them do what they gotta do to give me what should have came stock even if I have to pay d:
Old 09-29-18, 11:51 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

I feel like you’re the one always assuming I’m talking about OVA updates lmao. When I say updates I mean go to the dealership and letting them do what they gotta do to give me what should have came stock even if I have to pay d:
And you are assuming I was referring to you. I'm just saying most people don't understand that if an upgrade would be retroactively available, they would have to not only upgrade the software but also develop new hardware. Depending on how easily accessible the USB ports are on the car, they could have to take a large part of the dash apart just to install it.

Quick Reply: No more support for Pandora?